3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Amp Ideas Please
Phil66
Dec 30 2015, 06:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of upgrading my amp. I have two 4x8 cabs one is going to be swapped for a 1x12 hopefully with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it.
The amp needs to sound right at around 90db as it's for home studio use. I know I've got Amplitube and plugins but I've recently rediscovered the pleasure of playing through an amp.
I've got two on my shortlist which to me seem ideal for recording but I'd like to get your opinions please. I don't get chance to get to shops for testing so I guess the key is versatility.
I listen to, and mainly want to play, classic and modern rock tones like Thunder, Black Stone Cherry, SRV, Satch, Vai, with a bit of punk and metal thrown in for good measure.

Here are the two currently on my shortlist.

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/156

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/177

I've watched lots of videos of both and even the Ironheart can get good cleans but in not sure if the Lionheart has enough gain. I have a VGL Hotbird analogue drive pedal too.

There are some links in my mega thread with Mertay and Todd HERE if you want to take a look. There is info in that thread about the Hotbird too as Mertay has been tirelessly helping me to get to grips with it smile.gif

Cheers dudes, and thanks for taking the time. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 30 2015, 07:27 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 30 2015, 10:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been looking at the Iron Heart as well for its well-suited'ness for studio/quiet recording.

Unfortunately nowhere near me has one to try out mad.gif

The other amp on my radar is the Peavey 6505 mini head that also has studio/quiet applications.

Decisions decisions tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 30 2015, 11:21 PM
Ah I hadn't thought about the Peavey, I had a bandit Transtube which was good but too loud.
I wonder how much of it is still biased towards the EVH sound?
Cheers. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 31 2015, 12:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
the IRT Studio has more features including an speaker emulation for directly recording into your daw , mucho more options imo

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 31 2015, 12:29 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 30 2015, 11:15 PM) *
the IRT Studio has more features including an speaker emulation for directly recording into your daw , mucho more options imo

L5 has that too, the voicings semm to be the main thing. One metal oriented while the other classic rock and to me they can't meet much common ground on tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom51
Dec 31 2015, 09:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Phil,
I have been using a H&K Tubemeister5 combo (also available as head) for about one year now. Its has an XLR out for direct recording in your DAW and also a power soak option so that you can run at 5/1/0 watt. At home 1w is really loud but there is also a tubemeister 18 and 36 available if you want to have a gig option. Soundwise you will have to try it to see if it sounds good with your existing cabinet but reviews on youtube are very positive.
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/our-products/

I recently heard five different cabinets at a store and my absolute favorite was the Fender Princeton Reverb cabinet. Maybe due to the speaker profile I really liked (Jensen P10)

Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Dec 31 2015, 09:12 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 31 2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks Tom,
The HK TM18 looks good. I'd probably go for that over the 5 as it had more control, (why does fewer watts mean fewer knobs). Only issue for me is lack of reverb.
I'll watch the videos when I get home on Saturday. Not too good on a phone.
Cheers folks, keep the ideas and advice coming please.
Thank you
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 31 2015, 10:47 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 31 2015, 01:13 PM
If an amp has has fx loop, don't worry about reverb as by buying a pedal you'll have a better sounding one anyway. Joe Satriani's huge signature JVM for example doesn't have reverb on it as he requested it like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 31 2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks Mertay,
Thing is we then start a huge debate about reverb pedals ams even some of the spring pedals that are around. Can you handle that Mertay? laugh.gif
I sometimes think that amps like the Satriani one don't really have reverb because they are played loud and natural room reverb happens anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.
What do you think of the HK Mertay?
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2015, 10:18 PM
The HK is probably a good compromise between those two laney models. You can get blues/rock tones galore out of it and it will turn mean and metal when pushed with an overdrive in front. So it's pretty flexible. Where as the two LANEY amps you mentioned are both a bit more specific in terms of what they were built for. Of course, you can make nearly amp sound like nearly anything with the right pedals and technique in front of it, (e.g. I made a tweed clone sound like a Krank with just a pedal).

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 31 2015, 07:13 AM) *
If an amp has has fx loop, don't worry about reverb as by buying a pedal you'll have a better sounding one anyway. Joe Satriani's huge signature JVM for example doesn't have reverb on it as he requested it like that.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 31 2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks Todd,
I am only lean toward the Laney for a few reasons, I've seen them on stages everywhere; the mighty Mr Iommi has used them for years, they have reverb and the company is a 15 minute drive from me smile.gif
Personally I've not seen H&K on stage so I wonder about reliability.
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 31 2015, 11:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2016, 12:21 AM
The HK gear is really solid but but so is the LANEY smile.gif It does come down to what you want in the end so all that remains is to distill the info and arrive at a conclusion. Hopefully Mertay can kick in some more info! I have zero experience with either of those laney amps so I can't help you there in terms of details. sad.gif

As for a 1x12. Any nice 1x12 wil do ya smile.gif The MESA 1x12 will do you really well smile.gif The Randall will do ya pretty solid as wel.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 31 2015, 04:28 PM) *
Thanks Todd,
I am only lean toward the Laney for a few reasons, I've seen them on stages everywhere; the mighty Mr Iommi has used them for years, they have reverb and the company is a 15 minute drive from me smile.gif
Personally I've not seen H&K on stage so I wonder about reliability.
Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 1 2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks Todd,
The Mesa is more than I want to pay but the Randall and one of the Marshalls look good. I always think of Dime when I think of Randall, I love his work and Tone but it's not the tone I want. How are the cabs voiced? I was thinking of finding one with Celestion V30 which seems to be very popular.
I've noticed some 1x12 cabs advertised as extension cabs is this different to a normal cab?
I think it might be an idea to get and record the amp through my Blackstar 4x8 first as you and Mertay have a good reference point with that cab. What do you think.
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 1 2016, 11:33 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 1 2016, 02:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 31 2015, 12:29 AM) *
L5 has that too, the voicings semm to be the main thing. One metal oriented while the other classic rock and to me they can't meet much common ground on tone.

doh, I ran to quickly to try to read the speck sheet I forgot to read the title and first line blink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 1 2016, 03:24 PM
Sorry don't know much about h&k either, again one of the brands I see sometimes on sale used but never got my hands on one as far as I remember. There are all the brands where I live but some of their distributors really suck so its hard for me to even find one to try.

As guitarists (like vai-satch...)use stuff like axe-fx, TC Electronics fx units simply for non-drive fx a reverb on an amp is really un-necesarry for them cause there processor units have 100s of options in them.
Also in the modulation area unless you don't spend a small fortune, digital really sounds good unlike the difference like an amp sim. vs real amp. Even in the best studios in the world engineers use digital modulation fx without hesitation.

Mid. priced pedals do a really good job for reverb/delay specially these days. Also your gt001 would serve for that area very good if you decide to buy a soundcard someday smile.gif

The Fender cab.s are the closest to sound like a Mesa cab. in my experience, specially Jensen loaded ones really surprised me on high-gain performance. I think I might even prefer a Fender cab. to Mesa if I had to choose but I never compared them side by side. For the Marshall-ish vibe ENGL cab.s are really nice too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 1 2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks Mertay,
So I think it's best to get the amp first, shortlist so far is the two Laney heads, the Peavey and the H&K.
Then I'll record through a miced Blackstar 4x8 and post in the "Gas, what next" thread to keep it all under one place as that is where this originated.
Do you agree?
Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 1 2016, 04:43 PM
yep thats the big decision smile.gif

Anything after the amp is easyer, like reverb/delay can be placed afterthe mic. or line out from gt001 or computer etc. . Depending after the tone of the new amp, the next priority can never be set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 1 2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks Mertay,
At the moment, pending further investigation the Peavey is in the lead.
Could do with a cost effective reverb unit but not a pedal really, mains powered, amp top or desktop.
I loved my Peavey Bandit Transtube with its resonance button and presence knob it was just too loud on the clean channel even on 1 wink.gif
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 1 2016, 07:25 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 1 2016, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 1 2016, 06:21 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,
At the moment, pending further investigation the Peavey is in the lead.
Could do with a cost effective reverb unit but not a pedal really, mains powered, amp top or desktop.
I loved my Peavey Bandit Transtube with its resonance button and presence knob it was just too loud on the clean channel even on 1 wink.gif
Cheers

Mine is very similar to it, almost the same except drive channel.

I don't know why I just remembered by using the fx loop you can actually decrease any amps output...will try tomorrow with one of my pedals to see if theres any problem to this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2016, 09:36 AM
Thanks Mertay,
The clean channel on the Transtube Bandit sounded lovely, it was just too loud and no master volume, it was like an on /off switch, the person who has it now says the same.
It was one of the original Transtube Bandits with the "Sheffield Equipped" speaker.
Drive channel was ok, a little bit "dry" sounding if anything.
Does your last post mean there is a chance of more options regarding heads?
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:53 AM