Tc Electronics Sentry Noise Gate Yes!
gnarkill
Jan 4 2016, 05:27 PM
GMC:er
Thought I would fill everyone in. I have had the privilege to play around on many different noise gates, looking for the best. My wife took a hint and got me the Sentry noise gate for Xmas.

Decimator, Sentry, NS2, and Smart Gate is what I compared side by side on my 6505.

Just to make a point, I turned my gain on my lead channel to 10, and it was silent. In addition... MY NOTE STILL WOULD RING OUT, DID NOT CUT SHORT!

I always felt like I had to make a sacrifice... either let some noise in... or chop off my sustain. This one does both extremely well.

Official Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hoTGyxbPto

Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue...p;v=bEi0Z8sRB24

Review with Fluff, at 3:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQDUdUEBS0w

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2016, 06:50 AM
Seems worth a shot! I've tried nearly every gate to come down the pike. I settled on the MXR Smart gate and sent the rest back. I still use the smart gate with my 11 rack (whose gate is not awesome imho) and with my plugins like Overloud Thh2/th3. I'd like to try one of these for sure smile.gif

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Jan 4 2016, 11:27 AM) *
Thought I would fill everyone in. I have had the privilege to play around on many different noise gates, looking for the best. My wife took a hint and got me the Sentry noise gate for Xmas.

Decimator, Sentry, NS2, and Smart Gate is what I compared side by side on my 6505.

Just to make a point, I turned my gain on my lead channel to 10, and it was silent. In addition... MY NOTE STILL WOULD RING OUT, DID NOT CUT SHORT!

I always felt like I had to make a sacrifice... either let some noise in... or chop off my sustain. This one does both extremely well.

Official Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hoTGyxbPto

Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue...p;v=bEi0Z8sRB24

Review with Fluff, at 3:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQDUdUEBS0w

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 5 2016, 11:32 AM
Its multiband, pretty cool smile.gif

Only downside is getting into the parameters for extreme detailed adjustment can be very hard but these things are usually setuped very good out of the factory.

If you ever decide to tweak the parameters make sure to figure out how to return factory settings or take notes before tweaking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2016, 07:20 AM
There is a software app that will let you get to factory specs and everywhere in between which is just AWESOME imho. I wish my gate had a software utility smile.gif

You can download the software to edit the tone print with all parameters for iPad PC and Mac here
http://www.tcelectronic.com/toneprint-editor/support/
I"m Sold! I have to try one!!

Here is a video of the tone print editor, you just hold your phone up to your pickup and KRIEG!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 5 2016, 05:32 AM) *
Its multiband, pretty cool smile.gif

Only downside is getting into the parameters for extreme detailed adjustment can be very hard but these things are usually setuped very good out of the factory.

If you ever decide to tweak the parameters make sure to figure out how to return factory settings or take notes before tweaking.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 6 2016, 09:23 AM

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Jan 12 2016, 06:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Can somebody advise me whats the best way to connect the noise gate with the POD HD500X?

Here a picture from the FX of the POD....

Thx Chris

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 12 2016, 09:53 PM
Typically your noise gate goes in front. So, guitar/gate/everything else smile.gif

However, the pod has a noise gate in it. I can't speak to their quality as I owned a few pods and found the noise gates heavy handed. Here is a vid of a guy using the internal noise gate on a pod for a high gain tone.

QUOTE (ChrisGLP @ Jan 12 2016, 12:49 AM) *
Can somebody advise me whats the best way to connect the noise gate with the POD HD500X?

Here a picture from the FX of the POD....

Thx Chris

P.S. JUST BOUGHT THE SENTRY GATE! It's on the way smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Jan 13 2016, 08:04 AM
Hi Todd...thx... smile.gif

Meanwhile I have found something in the manual of the noise gate.

I think when I connect the noise gate this way with the pod I can place the gate anywhere in the signal chain of the pod... but I don't know it exactly... I have never tried it...we will see. I think I will also order the noise gate to have a comparison with the gate of the pod....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2016, 07:43 AM
Yup!! I recently read the same thing about the SENTRY. It's not like a standard gate. You can patch it as in the diagram and it's supposed to do an even better job!!! I can't wait to get mine smile.gif Most standard gates ( like my mxr smart gate) just go in front. But the sentry really is different and IMHO better.

Did you not like the build in GATE in your POD?

QUOTE (ChrisGLP @ Jan 13 2016, 02:04 AM) *
Hi Todd...thx... smile.gif

Meanwhile I have found something in the manual of the noise gate.

I think when I connect the noise gate this way with the pod I can place the gate anywhere in the signal chain of the pod... but I don't know it exactly... I have never tried it...we will see. I think I will also order the noise gate to have a comparison with the gate of the pod....

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Jan 14 2016, 08:34 AM
Generally the effects in the POD are really super. The only "problem" I have is the noise gate in the POD. Sometimes (especially during hammer on and tapping) the dynamic get loss (the gate cuts the tone off)... Sorry I don't know how to explain it better in english...

Furthermore I like "to play" a little bit with different setups to get more experience... rolleyes.gif

Todd, please share your experience when you have tested your new gate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 15 2016, 11:45 AM
I agree on pod gates, I've not had good experiences with them. So far the MXR Smartgate has been the best of breed, but now there is the SENTRY smile.gif

QUOTE (ChrisGLP @ Jan 14 2016, 02:34 AM) *
Generally the effects in the POD are really super. The only "problem" I have is the noise gate in the POD. Sometimes (especially during hammer on and tapping) the dynamic get loss (the gate cuts the tone off)... Sorry I don't know how to explain it better in english...

Furthermore I like "to play" a little bit with different setups to get more experience... rolleyes.gif

Todd, please share your experience when you have tested your new gate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Jan 21 2016, 08:41 AM
Hi Todd, whats about your new noise gate? Tested? smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:57 AM