Ohms Question
Phil66
Jan 13 2016, 09:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,
My amp goes down to speakers rated at 8 ohms. I have two 8ohm cabs, which I believe needs and amp that is capable of driving 4ohms.
I'm not going to risk it but am wondering what would happen if I ran both cabs?
Cheers smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 13 2016, 01:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 03:31 AM) *
Hello everyone,
My amp goes down to speakers rated at 8 ohms. I have two 8ohm cabs, which I believe needs and amp that is capable of driving 4ohms.
I'm not going to risk it but am wondering what would happen if I ran both cabs?
Cheers smile.gif

the consensus seems to be that running speakers with a higher load than the amp wants is more dangerous than running speakers at a lower than specified load. The reason being that output transformers are more expensive than tubes and the former is more likely to destroy your transformer, the latter your output tubes. Now this is for tube amps. For solid state amps I believe the rules are different.

You could run your cabs in series and have 16ohms load, or in parallel and have 4ohms load.

Don't do either, you will probably fry something if you do, maybe sooner than you think. I have heard of people running such a mismatch and not having problems. I have also heard of people doing so and burning up their amp in under 3 minutes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 13 2016, 01:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
does your amp have an 4 ohm output jack, use that if it does

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you for your time gentlemen.
My amp has only a 16 or 8 ohm switch.
My Blackstar 4x8 cab has an input and an output but my Harley Benton 1x12 only has an input.
I don't understand the difference between serial and parallel but it would be nice to know even though I'm not doing it wink.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2016, 07:33 AM
GMC:er
Just keep the volume semi low and don't overdo it and you will be fine smile.gif Problems usually show up when running mixed cabs while cranking your tubes.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 07:42 AM) *
Thank you for your time gentlemen.
My amp has only a 16 or 8 ohm switch.
My Blackstar 4x8 cab has an input and an output but my Harley Benton 1x12 only has an input.
I don't understand the difference between serial and parallel but it would be nice to know even though I'm not doing it wink.gif
Cheers

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 14 2016, 02:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
do a google search , your amp might actually be able to adjust down to four ohms without you having to do anything

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks,

I can't find anything at the moment but I'll keep looking. wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:02 AM