A Serious Question
The Uncreator
Jul 28 2009, 12:39 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Me and one of my friends who often spend time debating and asking each other questions about philosophical/ spiritual matters had a nice long conversation about a topic most people probably don't consider. Robots developing consciousness and self-awareness, And I'm quite serious too. First of all, we already have robots with A.I. that can actually learn, albeit at a slow and limited pace.

But, I believe that in 50-100 years we will have something that is firmly capable of developing and learning at accelerated rate beyond human capabilities, Even though we will have strict limits on it initially, I believe in time, Something like this will become fully aware and conscious of itself. (Intentional or not)

My question is this:

You live in the time where robots, AI or what have you, Develop consciousness and awareness. Now throw in the fact that they also possess the capacity for emotion: compassion, love, joy, sorrow, and yes, hate.

Do you accept this?
Do you think its even possible?

Do you write it off as simple claims of an intelligent program or do you attempt to understand it regardless of what the outcome may be?

Lastly, just cause I know it will come up. I do not think that any such event like the Terminator or I-Robot will take place (At least I-Robot the movie), I don't think an intelligence would resort to all out extinction of a race, Although I guess its possible.

So, what say you?

PS

Apologies if this is too serious for a guitar forum, but its the only forum I'm on anymore laugh.gif

EDIT

I guess I didn't directly give my answer on this did I? laugh.gif

Well, personally. If I was confronted with something that claimed conscious awareness and emotion such as this, I could not resist the chance to see if this was true. If this indeed was true that they had the full potential of emotion, I could only confront this with open arms. To me, humanity is defined a lot things but one stands out, our capabilities for emotion, No other species we know of can match it. At least not in the ways we express it (Music, poetry, books, movies).

If something else could develop this as well, Well as far as I'm concerned, they are in essence, "Human". Not homo sapien "human", but a species on its own, a race, an intelligence, a part of us, Maybe even our natural evolution?

All things are made from elements from the universe, So I see this kind of thing in a way a natural thing in the cosmos.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- The Uncreator   A Serious Question   Jul 28 2009, 12:39 AM
- - Ctodd   I just love these kinds of discussions. I think m...   Jul 28 2009, 02:11 AM
- - The Uncreator   QUOTE (Ctodd @ Jul 27 2009, 05:11 PM) I j...   Jul 28 2009, 03:07 AM
- - Santiago Diaz Garces   Did you think that if someone build an "extre...   Jul 28 2009, 05:56 AM
- - Koopid   I do Not believe machines will develop selfawarene...   Jul 28 2009, 06:44 AM
- - NoSkill   I'm pretty sure humanity won't survive the...   Jul 28 2009, 10:25 AM
- - Canis   Personally, I'd love a "I-robot" sce...   Aug 3 2009, 01:33 AM
- - sigma7   I do not think a computer chip can ever capture em...   Aug 3 2009, 01:55 AM
- - The Uncreator   Sorry to say then that we already have robots like...   Aug 3 2009, 04:01 AM
- - besip   Since i'm Czech guy i have to tell you somethi...   Aug 3 2009, 04:35 AM
- - The Uncreator   Thats some cool stuff, I never knew who invented t...   Aug 3 2009, 12:45 PM
- - steve25   I've been doing this kind of stuff for a fair ...   Aug 3 2009, 01:30 PM
- - The Uncreator   With today's technologies, none of this possib...   Aug 3 2009, 02:29 PM
- - steve25   Some feelings are through experience yes but not a...   Aug 3 2009, 03:30 PM
- - dusty   deep, very deep guys, but just the type of debate...   Aug 3 2009, 08:45 PM
- - Toroso   Well, based on your timelines, none of this will o...   Aug 3 2009, 08:53 PM
- - The Uncreator   QUOTE (steve25 @ Aug 3 2009, 06:30 AM) Mo...   Aug 3 2009, 09:59 PM
|- - leedbreak   A little different topic but..... I did see a sho...   Aug 3 2009, 10:16 PM
|- - Caelumamittendum   QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 3 2009, 11:16 PM) ...   Aug 3 2009, 10:45 PM
nnn
nnn
- - The Uncreator   Interesting as well. What was it called?   Aug 3 2009, 10:21 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Robots and machines in general will eventually rep...   Aug 4 2009, 01:09 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:01 AM