> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 30 2014, 09:08 AM
Instructor
GOD, I hate paperwork! laugh.gif I can totally feel you Phil!

No worries, now that we know that G chord is a plain G chord, just execute it accordingly and about the tone - hey, if it's good, it's good! biggrin.gif I am glad I could make your day a good one!

Looking forward to your next results, deal, good Sir?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2014, 09:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Deal! But sorry Cosmin, no takes tonight, off to see the mighty Black Stone Cherry in Birmingham biggrin.gif
Cheers
Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 30 2014, 09:08 AM) *
GOD, I hate paperwork! laugh.gif I can totally feel you Phil!

No worries, now that we know that G chord is a plain G chord, just execute it accordingly and about the tone - hey, if it's good, it's good! biggrin.gif I am glad I could make your day a good one!

Looking forward to your next results, deal, good Sir?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 30 2014, 10:02 AM
Instructor
No hurry wink.gif I want you totake your time and work relaxed and focused, more than anything - remember, we're not racing here biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2014, 10:24 PM
Just the one quick one tonight, took my 5 year old nephew out for the day on a big Halloween monster hunt around the grounds of a large stately home ( http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/croome/) didn't get home until quite late then had to eat so didn't get much time but thought I'd throw this in. Should get some good time in tomorrow all being well.
I have a question. How do you get a sweet tone on the unwound strings? I am finding them to be a little lifeless compared to the wound strings and the high E seems a little harsh too.

[attachment=39625:Bear_14_...01112014.wav]

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 2 2014, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Howdy Phil!

Great to hear you spent quality time with the little dude biggrin.gif

To be frank, you should record a take for the REC zone with this lesson - I think you are pretty much in the zone and the only thing that can make this sound more and more natural, would be more practice, although as I said, it's very good and it can go in there with heads up smile.gif

About the question - well, as they say, tone is in the hands, but here are all the elements that matter in my opinion:

- amp
- pickups
- a smooth reverb maybe
- the lightness of your touch and the dynamics in your hands
- the strings and their level of usage (older strings tend to sound lifeless)
- the pick you are using

It's all a matter of experimenting and getting to understand how all these things affect the voice of your instrument, so all I can say, is that you should experiment in the following fashion:

- choose a phrase you can play well
- change the approach on playing it based on changing various elements from the ones mentioned above, one at a time or in different combinations

What do you think, mate?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2014, 03:30 PM
Ok it's in the REC, still had some REC button syndrome though mad.gif

Guitar was the HMIII, Di-Marzio Paf Pro pickups, new Daddario strings, Dunlop Ultex Jazz III pick, guitar into Boss ME80 on the Cosmin patch, fed into Blackstar HT1 valve head, out of the emulated output into my DAW.

I'll get working on the other stuff now, lets hope I get a pass this time.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2014, 12:04 AM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 3 2014, 08:24 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 3 2014, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

Gabi was right - I gave you a 7 as well, because you played better in some takes that you sent previously. It would not be fair to allow you to wallow in mediocrity, when I know that you can do better!! And I KNOW you can, because you have proved it to me wink.gif

Now, let's focus on the aspects:

- intention behnd your playing - listen to Bear's take - where is he soft and where is he aggressive? Write down the parts as you would write down the places where you breathe on a text that you need to learn how to sing smile.gif

- note length - see, you were uncertain about some note lengths such as the one around 0:30 - that's what Gabi was referring to smile.gif

Let's rock, shall we?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2014, 09:27 AM
Hello Cosmin,
I removed my moaning in previous comment as it was unjust, it's just frustrating that the REC button screws it all up rolleyes.gif
I don't mind so much failing now as I have other lessons to learn. I've "learnt" this A Minor one, I've just got to polish it. It was more frustrating when I only had that to work on so I don't mind so much now, I can relax.
I actually did 12 takes of that and that was the best, the others always had a note muted somewhere or other.
I am amazed how difficult this is for me. Could it be all the years of just noodling around has messed with my head in regards to the guitar? Bad physical and mental habits maybe?
Gab mentioned my picking direction doesn't match Bear's but Bear seems to pick in an unusual way that doesn't feel natural to me, is it critical that I mimic his picking? I don't actually think much about picking but I think I do a combination of alternate and economy.
I actually think that when I get a pass in this lesson that I could do another take and it would fail. I don't seem to be able to be consistent.
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 3 2014, 11:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2014, 10:10 PM
Hello Cosmin,
Sorry if you're getting fed up with me sad.gif I can imagine every time you listen to the latest recording you are ripping your hair out and thinking "Aaaaaargh, will he ever get this right?????????" biggrin.gif
Ok, the only way I'm going to overcome REC button syndrome is by keep recording videos. This was take 8 tonight mad.gif When I watch it, it all sounds a bit rushed to me.
I think I have identified a problem, I think I'm playing more from memory than listening to the backing. I seem to struggle concentrating on two things at once so once I've got the first note down, I'm concentrating on playing what I can remember rather than zoning in with the backing. How I will overcome that I haven't got a clue unsure.gif
Anyway, I'm posting the video just for the hell of it. It's all I've done tonight along with ten minutes of ear training.
I sat in a different position so I can't see the monitor.
I've started playing this with headphones on, it must be like a Chinese water torture for my wife, she must have heard it a thousand times biggrin.gif
Cheers and apologies, you must be getting tired of it now sad.gif
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2014, 09:10 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil!

Indeed, zoning in with the backing is something that must be done in order to make the piece sound in perfect harmony with the other things in the musical landscape that you are painting smile.gif Imagine that you would paint something and at this point, you are going over the edges of the canvas, when you should be staying only on the canvas.

This take has issues in terms of note length - see 0:05 and 0:12, 0:21 and 0:27 and in respect to Gabi's observation regarding Bear's picking direction - it's good to notice what Bear does and emulate it accordingly, as the purpose of the REC Zone is mainly based on this aspect - emulating a lesson as close to the original as possible, in order to develop proper technique, groove, timing or anything else which that particular lesson is based on.

Try to listen to the backing without playing and imagine what you are playing in your head only. What accents are the notes falling on in the backing? How long do they last? The backing should help you, it's not something that is there only to play some notes against wink.gif Have you tried this approach so far?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2014, 09:17 AM
Hello Cosmin,
I had a go last night, I worked late yesterday so only had about half an hour, BUT, I don't know what, but something in Bogdan's REC post helped. I already knew about the kick drum etc but when I was playing last night I could hear the kick drum stand out more. I felt more relaxed and, to me at least it felt more in time. I'll shoot a video tonight but just send the video with the video sound rather than spend time syncing the DAW sound file. I will have the DAW sound file should the video be good enough for REC.

Thank you.

Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 5 2014, 09:10 AM) *
Hey Phil!

Indeed, zoning in with the backing is something that must be done in order to make the piece sound in perfect harmony with the other things in the musical landscape that you are painting smile.gif Imagine that you would paint something and at this point, you are going over the edges of the canvas, when you should be staying only on the canvas.

This take has issues in terms of note length - see 0:05 and 0:12, 0:21 and 0:27 and in respect to Gabi's observation regarding Bear's picking direction - it's good to notice what Bear does and emulate it accordingly, as the purpose of the REC Zone is mainly based on this aspect - emulating a lesson as close to the original as possible, in order to develop proper technique, groove, timing or anything else which that particular lesson is based on.

Try to listen to the backing without playing and imagine what you are playing in your head only. What accents are the notes falling on in the backing? How long do they last? The backing should help you, it's not something that is there only to play some notes against wink.gif Have you tried this approach so far?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 5 2014, 10:20 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2014, 10:27 PM
Here's another one. Personally I feel it is much better, still not perfect but now having to think about the picking directions so more and more to think about blink.gif 00:24-00:25 is too fast I think. Didn't notice until I played it back on here mad.gif

Like the new sig? wink.gif

Thank you for your patience Cosmin cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 5 2014, 10:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil!

I have listened and yes, it is indeed better, but I think that the timing is a bit shifty after sec 0:18 - please focus on the note lengths as they are the biggest issue right now. Bogdan mentioned the kick drum - it's one of those elements I was talking about in my post, in which I suggested you need to listen to the backing track so that you can observe the elements which stand out and that can help you as landmarks smile.gif

Please focus on the sections appearing after second 0:18 by trying to follow the next set of steps:

- listen to the original recording in respect to note length and the moments in the backing track where these notes occur
- break down that part into little licks and play them along the original recording
- use the slow baking tracks to play EACH little lick separately - by that I mean, can you play each little phrase without playing anything else before it? Can you begin each lick where it's supposed to be, without playing anything else but that lick? smile.gif

This will prove to yourself that you know where everything is played and that you master the length of each note - do we have an accord, Phil? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2014, 09:18 AM
Hello Cosmin,

I have actually recorded this along with Bear and note length was pretty darn close, it's when I do it on my own, some little thing like the guitar moving throws me.
Glad this isn't at school, I'd have been kicked out by now biggrin.gif
Oh well, onward and upward.
Back tonight
Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2014, 08:57 AM) *
Hey Phil!

I have listened and yes, it is indeed better, but I think that the timing is a bit shifty after sec 0:18 - please focus on the note lengths as they are the biggest issue right now. Bogdan mentioned the kick drum - it's one of those elements I was talking about in my post, in which I suggested you need to listen to the backing track so that you can observe the elements which stand out and that can help you as landmarks smile.gif

Please focus on the sections appearing after second 0:18 by trying to follow the next set of steps:

- listen to the original recording in respect to note length and the moments in the backing track where these notes occur
- break down that part into little licks and play them along the original recording
- use the slow baking tracks to play EACH little lick separately - by that I mean, can you play each little phrase without playing anything else before it? Can you begin each lick where it's supposed to be, without playing anything else but that lick? smile.gif

This will prove to yourself that you know where everything is played and that you master the length of each note - do we have an accord, Phil? smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 03:51 PM
Instructor
Hehe, no worries Phil - this ain't school, man, but still, try to focus on getting the same feeling and note length that you get when playing alongside Bear. Focus especially on the parts occuring after second 0:18 as we discussed in the previous post, deal? smile.gif And also, try the above mentioned method of learning how to play each lick individually - it'll grant you enormous control.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2014, 04:06 PM
I guess I'm still struggling to control my impatience mad.gif Breaking it down lick by lick seems labourious and not very inviting.
The sound of this lesson is in my head all day long, it's driving me insane blink.gif tongue.gif blink.gif

Cheers buddy.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Hehe, no worries Phil - this ain't school, man, but still, try to focus on getting the same feeling and note length that you get when playing alongside Bear. Focus especially on the parts occuring after second 0:18 as we discussed in the previous post, deal? smile.gif And also, try the above mentioned method of learning how to play each lick individually - it'll grant you enormous control.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2014, 09:20 PM
One question Mr Miyagi sir,

Why don't I hear my mistakes until I am playing the track back? I do hear bad notes but not timing errors.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2014, 09:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 6 2014, 03:06 PM) *
I guess I'm still struggling to control my impatience mad.gif Breaking it down lick by lick seems labourious and not very inviting.
The sound of this lesson is in my head all day long, it's driving me insane blink.gif tongue.gif blink.gif

Cheers buddy.

It is laborious indeed, but hey - that's what I did when I had to learn a whole playlist of Pantera songs for my tribute band - it will be GREAT for you, on the long run, trust me wink.gif It's a great habit that will always be handy for building control over everything you have to play, in any context given.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 7 2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Cosmin,
I'll get a recording to you in six weeks biggrin.gif
Any thoughts on the last question regarding hearing timing errors?
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:46 PM