Cleaning Up The Mud
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 20 2011, 10:34 PM
Instructor
Not all people are good at tracking drums. Sometimes you get lots of bleed that needs to be tamed. What do you do in such situation?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 22 2011, 10:37 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
First I really would send it back to be re-tracked rather than trying to fix it in the mix.

If and only if that couldn't be done then there are various things you can do at mixing, exactly what depends on what the bleed is and where.

You'll probably have to set a HPF to take out any unwanted low end but watch your phase as a HPF will affect it. Talking of phase you might be able to get some perceived improvement by time shifting to deliberately produce a phase imbalance and bring in comb filtering/phase cncellation. You might be able to notch filter kick drum. You might be able to manually pull down/redraw-edit unwanted transient bleed in overheads or alternatively you may be able to set a limiter to reduce it by enough dB for it to be ok. May be worth looking at your attack and release times on the drum compressors to see if you can take out transient bleed with fast times. You might have to sidechain a comp and expand, duck and gate other bleed. With all of this you'll need to both solo the indvidual drum parts that are a problem and also check the result carefully in the context of the drums as a group and as part of the final track. If none of that works then you should consider drum replacement. Use drumagog or a similar program to replace the drum sounds that have excessive bleed with an appropriate sample. You can do that whether or not the drums were recorded/tracked with a trigger or not.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 11:58 AM
Instructor
These are some golden advices Tony, thank you very much smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:23 PM