3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Slayer, Why are they so popular?
jer
Oct 28 2008, 04:01 PM
GMC:er
I have often wondered this.

I like Slayer. I've got all their albums. I listen to one every couple of months or so. (if averaged out over a few years)

I've seen them live 3x.

Why are they so popular?

They aren't that good.

What do you think it is about this band that gets them the fans it does? After all these years?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 28 2008, 04:04 PM
errm.. the fact that they are awesome! and Kerry King is jesus?

Idk maybe its a matter of taste, i like stuff more br()()tol than Slayer.. but i am still willing to admit that slayer is pritty much king.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 28 2008, 04:12 PM
Instructor
I think they are a great band. I used to know every song and I learned a lot by playing their songs. Of course you have to have a taste for that kind of metal to be able to find it interesting. Their rhythm guitar figures are incredible. I like the lyrics and melodies also. They are also great live.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 28 2008, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Slayer was the heaviest Thrash Band and also a founder of that genre. The fans stick with them because they stayed true to their musical style over the years, unlike other Thrash Gods (...Metallica's Load,Reload,St Anger)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 28 2008, 04:31 PM
I agree with the original post. I've listened to slayer, I've even seen them live. But often, they'e not more than complete rubbish, I don't understand why they are so popular.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 04:37 PM
Slayer have been rubbish since the Show No Mercy album.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 28 2008, 04:37 PM
Don't get me wrong. I dont think they are rubbish. They are just one of those bands that seem to have achieved immortality for no apparent reason.

Like AC/DC and Def Leppard.

All 3 have played some good songs. And all three have a TON of forgettable material.

IMHO

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 28 2008, 04:38 PM
AC/DC is a different thing. They are incredible because there first album they were 15 or something like that and they are still going over 30 years later. They are true legends.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 28 2008, 04:43 PM
Instructor
I've never been a big fan of Slayer, I heard a couple of songs I though were good, but I guess together with Megadeth and Metallica they created thrash metal in the 80's. But for some reason I was more into Metallica and Megadeth and not Slayer.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 28 2008, 05:08 PM
Slayer has AMAZING rhythm - the brutalness of the dual guitar assault of jeff hanaman and kerry king is pretty serious. HOWEVER, their guitar soloing ability is laughable. They do chromatic solos that sound like poop mixed with whammy bar artificial harmonic abuse.
I listen to Slayer for their chugging rhythms and bad ass melodies - certainly not the solos.

I loveeee Slayer though hahah

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 28 2008, 05:17 PM
Instructor
I think they are what in metal is called TRUE, there´s a lot of bands (like metallica at the top) who has changed so much, I´m proud to say that slayer is not one of them.
so, when you listen to slayer, you feel their brutality, their passion...
people feels that, beside if they´re great musicians or not.

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 28 2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah. I can see that.

Its more credibility to their roots and focus. Rather than musicianship.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 28 2008, 06:31 PM
Instructor
I remember in the Guitar Techniques magazine, the only song rated (difficulty 10/10) was a Slayer song - Raining Blood I think. I also think that Dave Lombardo is one of the best metal drummers ever. I agree that the soloing in Slayer is a bit funny bat that's not the point of that band at all.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Oct 28 2008, 06:33 PM
I agree with Lian. Though I have to point out that it is not that hard for Slayer to stay "true", because they have a well defined sound and just need heavy riffs to fit their style. For bands like Metallica it's not that easy. Though I really like Slayer, especially Dave. smile.gif

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 28 2008, 06:45 PM
I agree that the soloing in Slayer is a bit funny.

It always makes me feel better about my leads.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 28 2008, 07:46 PM
One of my collegues showed me a cd from slayer a few months ago it was a bit to heavy for me but these days i noticed that i'm really listening more to blues then metal smile.gif

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Oct 28 2008, 07:48 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 28 2008, 08:42 PM
Credibillity is just a load of bullcrap. It's all about musicianship, nothing elese for me, I don't care if a band has any contact with some so called roots as long as they make good music. I can't say I enjoy slayers music as stated above. (allthough, they have some catchy songs, I have to admit that)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Oct 29 2008, 12:01 AM
I despise Slayer but that isn't my point here.

All the talk people give about sticking to their roots and not changing is ridiculous. I don't want the same album 10 times. A wise musician once told me words I couldn't agree with more "Once you get one Slayer album you've heard them all."

A band should change things up every few album, or well, not so much change but. It seems Slayer has found the safe zone and they refuse to experiment in any way.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Oct 29 2008, 07:46 AM
I dont really like slayer. to be honest.

They are a great band, just not my type of band tongue.gif

I dont feel they're very popular =/

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 29 2008, 08:29 AM
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Oct 28 2008, 05:17 PM) *
I think they are what in metal is called TRUE, there´s a lot of bands (like metallica at the top) who has changed so much, I´m proud to say that slayer is not one of them.
so, when you listen to slayer, you feel their brutality, their passion...
people feels that, beside if they´re great musicians or not.

Agree totally. The bands that stay "true" are the ones that last for me.

QUOTE (Enucleation @ Oct 29 2008, 12:01 AM) *
I despise Slayer but that isn't my point here.

All the talk people give about sticking to their roots and not changing is ridiculous. I don't want the same album 10 times. A wise musician once told me words I couldn't agree with more "Once you get one Slayer album you've heard them all."

A band should change things up every few album, or well, not so much change but. It seems Slayer has found the safe zone and they refuse to experiment in any way.

Why is that ridicolous?
I don't listen to an artist because it is that specific artist. I listen to them because of the music they play.
I like a band because of their style or sound. If they change too much they are no longer what I liked about them. Some artists like to evolve into different styles and other artists don't. That's their choise. If I want to listen to a different sound or style I pick another artist. That's my choise.I see no problem with that. Change for the sake of change is rediculous.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:36 AM