Sweeps In Your Jason Becker Style Video, Challenging "finger rolling"
mdm1706
Oct 17 2010, 07:52 AM
GMC:er
Hey Zolts, what's up? You are one of favorite instructors and I love your lessons. However I'm highly struggling with a few
sweeping parts in your J.B sweep video.

The part that is giving me the most trouble in when I have to sweep across the 16th fret on three adjacent strings (and the part on the 12th fret). I keep hearing "Use the finger rolling technique" but I don't know how to do it. I've looked everywhere for lessons
on it and can't find it. How do I play these parts cleanly like you do with such minimal movement while actually reaching the notes
and not have them "bleed into each other"?

Thank you for your time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 17 2010, 08:55 AM
QUOTE (mdm1706 @ Oct 17 2010, 08:52 AM) *
Hey Zolts, what's up? You are one of favorite instructors and I love your lessons. However I'm highly struggling with a few

The part that is giving me the most trouble in when I have to sweep across the 16th fret on three adjacent strings (and the part on the 12th fret). I keep hearing "Use the finger rolling technique" but I don't know how to do it. I've looked everywhere for lessons
on it and can't find it. How do I play these parts cleanly like you do with such minimal movement while actually reaching the notes

Thank you for your time.

That's definitely a killer lesson.
Finger roll is a technique, when you hold a barre and gradually roll your finger into that direction you sweep (while releasing the notes you hold) so the notes won't ring together.
Maybe we should ask Zsolt to make a short tutorial about this topic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mate Nagy: Oct 17 2010, 01:40 PM

+Quote Post
mdm1706
Oct 17 2010, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Mate Nagy @ Oct 17 2010, 07:55 AM) *
That's definitely a killer lesson.
Finger roll is a technique, when you hold a barre and gradually roll your finger into that direction you sweep (while releasing the notes you hold) so the notes won't ring together.
Maybe we should ask Zsolt to make a short tutorial about this topic.

Thank you sir. The main problem (descending) is when in try to roll to a third string. A finger roll into the second string is no problem. But when I get to the third either I can't "reach it" or I can't get the note cleanly or without having the previous note ringing because my finger "runs out out the roiling motion". That's why I needed to know a specific way to do it.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Oct 17 2010, 05:31 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Hi!

Actually you want to mute the strings immediately after hiting it. The motion we were talking about is just a sort of help to mute the strigns more. I use to do that motion, but I don't do it anymore because the muting with the picking hand suffices.

Sweeping can be really tricky in the beginning. You need to start to practice it at a really-really slow tempo at first. When you actually get use to it, it will be easier to advance to a higher bpm. The next step is to loosen your fretting hand as much as possible.

I will also do a lesson on how to practice sweeping in the future.

Cheers

QUOTE (mdm1706 @ Oct 17 2010, 08:52 AM) *

Thank you for your time.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:11 PM