2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What To Buy And What Not, Need moral support
blindwillie
Jun 26 2007, 08:47 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys.
I really need help. I need moral support.

Let me paint the background first.
I bought the Schecter Hellraiser. When I did that I had a hard time deciding between that and the Black Jack. I made my choise and was thinking that one day (which at that time was some years ahead as I pictured it) I would get the Black Jack too. Before that (still some time in the future) I would get a Gibson Les Paul.

Now. I have saved up enough money faster than I ever thought.
I tried a Les Paul recently and I didn't like it! I was so disappointed I didn't like it. So I started thinking about a Strat instead. I don't know much about different Strats. Rokchik started a thread about that but I just got more confused. I would like a humbucker Strat. Are there such things or do I have to mod them myself?
Anyway. I visited my musicstore yesterday. They have a drive on Schecters now. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about I'll just divide the swedish money with ten and give you the price in dollars. That's not exactly right, but pretty much.

The Black Jack was priced $820. Now it's tagged $650. On top of that I will get "a really good price" (we didn't settle for a final price) so let's say it will end up at just under $600. There is a used one on sale for $550 on a ebay like site. A Fender California is for $800 on the same site.

Are you still with me? OK. Now the dilemma.
I DON'T NEED ANOTHER GUITAR!
Please tell me how stupid it would be to buy another guitar. Esp. the Black Jack which is almost the same one I've got except for the pickups. A slightly different sound. Thing is I'm very happy with the sounds I can get out of my Hellraiser. But! Since I had my mind set on buying it eventually, shouldn't I seal the deal now, with this price? Help me out. On top of that right now my wife is in a state of "Just buy the stupid guitar and stop bugging me".

Why would I/would I not buy the Black Jack or a Strat? Why one before the other?
Actually I have enough money for both, but I won't do that. Or would I? Hmmmm... (imagine Simpsons voice).

/edit: changed "nagging" for "bugging" bc that's what I meant to write in the first place.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jun 26 2007, 10:26 AM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 26 2007, 10:13 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 09:47 AM) *
Hi guys.
I really need help. I need moral support.

Let me paint the background first.
I bought the Schecter Hellraiser. When I did that I had a hard time deciding between that and the Black Jack. I made my choise and was thinking that one day (which at that time was some years ahead as I pictured it) I would get the Black Jack too. Before that (still some time in the future) I would get a Gibson Les Paul.

I tried a Les Paul recently and I didn't like it! I was so disappointed I didn't like it. So I started thinking about a Strat instead. I don't know much about different Strats. Rokchik started a thread about that but I just got more confused. I would like a humbucker Strat. Are there such things or do I have to mod them myself?
Anyway. I visited my musicstore yesterday. They have a drive on Schecters now. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about I'll just divide the swedish money with ten and give you the price in dollars. That's not exactly right, but pretty much.

The Black Jack was priced $820. Now it's tagged $650. On top of that I will get "a really good price" (we didn't settle for a final price) so let's say it will end up at just under $600. There is a used one on sale for $550 on a ebay like site. A Fender California is for $800 on the same site.

Please tell me how stupid it would be to buy another guitar. Esp. the Black Jack which is almost the same one I've got except for the pickups. A slightly different sound. Thing is I'm very happy with the sounds I can get out of my Hellraiser. But! Since I had my mind set on buying it eventually, shouldn't I seal the deal now, with this price? Help me out. On top of that right now my wife is in a state of "Just buy the stupid guitar and stop nagging me".

Why would I/would I not buy the Black Jack or a Strat? Why one before the other?
Actually I have enough money for both, but I won't do that. Or would I? Hmmmm... (imagine Simpsons voice).

DOH! I didn't understand wether you want support on the desicion to BUY a new guitar or to refrain from byuing... So just to add a few more options - Have you ever concidered buiyng or refrain from buying a tube amp? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 26 2007, 10:21 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 26 2007, 11:13 AM) *
DOH! I didn't understand wether you want support on the desicion to BUY a new guitar or to refrain from byuing... So just to add a few more options - Have you ever concidered buiyng or refrain from buying a tube amp? biggrin.gif

That's my problem! I don't know. I want to buy it, but I don't need it. It would be stupid to buy one, but I'm liek a kid now. I WANT TO! I want to hear some down to earth reasoning. My wife usually does that, but I have worned her down now. (So I'm actually looking for a new wife?)

I had a feeling you would come up with some tube suggestions wink.gif I had a new amp in mind (and still have) but it's easier to dismiss that because of all the noise that come out of those. That's a no-no at home right now.

Ha! You didn't succed in making it worse biggrin.gif

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 26 2007, 10:58 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 11:21 AM) *
That's my problem! I don't know. I want to buy it, but I don't need it. It would be stupid to buy one, but I'm liek a kid now. I WANT TO! I want to hear some down to earth reasoning. My wife usually does that, but I have worned her down now. (So I'm actually looking for a new wife?)

I had a feeling you would come up with some tube suggestions wink.gif I had a new amp in mind (and still have) but it's easier to dismiss that because of all the noise that come out of those. That's a no-no at home right now.

Well, wearing ones wife down in order to get a new guitar or amp is usually what we do and now since you succeded I don't know what's stopping you. Conscience? Or an awareness this will be held against you in the future?
How about another approach if you know you have to deal with some aftermatch - Perhaps you should find the guitar of your dreams, the ultimate one, buy that one and deal with the cold war during which you're not allowed to buy anything.

For my last amp buy I was forced to sell one, Marshall JCM800 *argh* so my next buy will be from that method. She doesn't buy "After I buy this I will never have to buy another amp again" so this time I really have to buy my dream amp.... which is quite expensive.
Next of course comes the dream guitar but I'm not sure which one that is so It have to wait anyway... that's a problem after the upcoming cold war laugh.gif

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 11:21 AM) *

what a pity, I will just have to try harder laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 26 2007, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 26 2007, 11:43 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 26 2007, 11:58 AM) *
Or an awareness this will be held against you in the future?

That might be it biggrin.gif No, I'm just too practical and cant allow myself to buy "unnessesary" stuff. (How on earth is that spelled?)

How about another approach if you know you have to deal with some aftermatch - Perhaps you should find the guitar of your dreams, the ultimate one, buy that one and deal with the cold war during which you're not allowed to buy anything.

That would be the way to do it. But I haven't found my dream guitar yet! Could be the Strat-alike when I know what I want there.

For my last amp buy I was forced to sell one, Marshall JCM800 *argh* so my next buy will be from that method. She doesn't buy "After I buy this I will never have to buy another amp again" so this time I really have to buy my dream amp.... which is quite expensive.

That was one of the amps I've been thinking about. No, she isn't fooled by that one anymore biggrin.gif

Off to look at guitars now biggrin.gif

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 26 2007, 12:11 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 02:47 AM) *
Please tell me how stupid it would be to buy another guitar.

You came to the wrong place for that kind of advice.

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 05:43 AM) *
That might be it biggrin.gif No, I'm just too practical and cant allow myself to buy "unnessesary" stuff. (How on earth is that spelled?)

"unnecessary". or you could say "non-essential".

if you play a lot, why is it impractical? if you spend a lot of your life doing something, well don't you think you should consider it reasonable that you have a bit of variety? you could probably live on soy milk, beans, brown rice, broccoli, a multi vitamin indefinitely. why don't you do that? you don't need all that fancy variety in your food. not necessary.

as i said, you came to the wrong place for that kind of advice.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 26 2007, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 26 2007, 01:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
You have GAS (Gear Aquissition Syndrome) pure and simple. You want something, even though you don't know what.

Well I'm here to tell you ... that its ok smile.gif You have to come to terms with this part of yourself and stop fighting it. BUY SOMETHING smile.gif Doesn't matter what - it will stop the cravings for a little while then you will need something else.

Now, what you really need is to build justifications in your own mind for buying - that's the hardest bit. You either need to get better at posing the arguments, or lower your own internal standards of conviction.

Now, I'm here to help you with some of the arguments in the hope that it will push you over the edge into a purchase.

So, here are my thoughts, rearrange them as you will until you can assemble them into a cogent argument for buying something, anything ...

1. Les Pauls play very differently from Schecters, but they are sweet sweet guitars - did you give the LP enough time to get used to it?

2. Strats are also great, but if you get one with a Humbucker it loses some of its essential stratness.

Now, I mention both of these facts because, in mind of what I said above, what you really should be doing is building a stable of best-of-breed classic guitars, and in fact you need an LP AND a strat, the only question should be in what order do you buy them. You need the LP for its fat rich sound and amazing sustain. You need a strat for its cutting tone and clean single coil rhythm.

You also need a shred machine from hell - Schecters are good, but ultimately you probably also need an Ibanez - I would suggest a minimum of a Prestige RG, maybe even a Jem if we are talking classics.

Then you will need a semi-acoustic for jazz playing, a nylon strung acoustic, and a decent steel strung acoustic for rhythm and finger style. Oh, and a bass guitar as well probably.

At the same time as this you will definately need to build your effects arsenal - a decent tube amp or two is a must, you are fortunate to have MikeM to advise you in that area.

So you can see that you are on the foothills of an amazing adventure in guitar ownership - you will look back on this struggle as the over-anxious worrying of a novice GAS sufferer - the purchases become easier as you continue, believe me. I am some way down this path, but it is a lifelong journey smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jun 26 2007, 01:53 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 26 2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks Andrew. That was a very comforting and convincing reply in a Dr. Phil-ish way. Somehow I have a feeling I'm being tricked though. wink.gif I will read this later when I have more time.

Seriously. I went to the store on my lunch and played the Black Jack, a Gibson LP and alot of Strats. I did get to like the Gibson abit more now, so it's back on the list again, which didn't make this easier. On the other hand I can dismiss the Black Jack. What I want is a guitar with different characteristics, not a twin to my beloved. So that's out of the way.

Right now I'm leaning towards theStratalikes and I think it will be a Fender. While playing I also realized what you pointed out. I'll loose the Stratness with humbuckers. I'm on my way now. I have a road to follow. Now I just have to explore and find my way in a new jungle. The Strat one.
Thanks all. You got me on the right track even though noone knew what I was asking for, including me smile.gif

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jun 26 2007, 03:13 PM

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 26 2007, 03:19 PM
You will do well my Padawan - use the force, search your feelings.

More Strat input:

My advice FWIW, and I said this to Rokchik too, is that once you get to a certain level with Strats, the differences in quality are minimal. I would suggest you get a basic USA strat, and put some classic re-issue pickups in it, like the '54 or '69 classics. IMO the various Artist models are nothing too special, just a different coat of paint and maybe some different pickups, and a price hike.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 26 2007, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 26 2007, 03:47 AM) *

Some people love Gibsons and some hate them. Some love Fenders and some hate them. I tend to hate the way Gibsons feel and Love Strats...

That said, I also wanted a dual humbucker strat which Fender is not known for making well. Your best bet would be to get a Fender Fat strat and change the pickups if you don't like the stock ones. Or get an Ibanez which usually feels like strat but a bit faster in some cases and tends to handle dual humbuckers better on the whole.

Ah hell... just get a JEM like Andrew and be done with it. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 26 2007, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jun 26 2007, 10:22 AM) *
Some people love Gibsons and some hate them. Some love Fenders and some hate them. I tend to hate the way Gibsons feel and Love Strats...

That said, I also wanted a dual humbucker strat which Fender is not known for making well. Your best bet would be to get a Fender Fat strat and change the pickups if you don't like the stock ones. Or get an Ibanez which usually feels like strat but a bit faster in some cases and tends to handle dual humbuckers better on the whole.

I think there are 2 separate ways of looking at this. If you want a new guitar for variety, IMO you should keep it pure - that means no humbuckers on a Strat - not ever!!!!

On the other hand, if you like the way a strat feels, and it is your main or only guitar, and you really want that variety, then all bets are off and you should coose whichever pickup combination suits your style and aspirations.

Now having said that, I'm biased - I just couldn't see playing a Strat with humbuckers, in the same way that an LP should NEVER have a double cut-away or whammy bar - I guess I am a purist at heart smile.gif

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jun 26 2007, 10:22 AM) *

Great idea smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 26 2007, 04:25 PM
Don't buy another axe. Just get more amps, effects, pa equipment etc. Whatever you need/want.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Naetharu
Jun 26 2007, 07:51 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jun 26 2007, 03:22 PM) *

I have a 1980's Fender strat with a Coil-Tapped Humbucker in the bridge and two single-coils, and I have to say it is the best guitar I have played...ever. I also have a Les-Paul with EMG pickups, a Jazz-Master and an Ibanez (Not sure on the modle, cheap 80's second-hand thing with stickers over the head-stock) and the strat I love more than all the others.

That said I think at the end of the day it is down to personal taste. I'm not a "metal" person really, and so the plucky sound of a strat is great for my likes, that said it isn't shy when I do want to try my hand at a something a little heavier (I play a little "Mega-Death" and other "Hair-Metal" now and then)

I think your best bet is to pop out and have a really good try on playing each of the guitars, try to get them popped through a good quality valve amp (Something like a THD Uni-Valve is perfect if possible) so that you can hear the differance without too much "processing" of the sound. At the end of the day both are very valid investments, and lets face it, you can never have too many guitars wink.gif

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 26 2007, 08:23 PM
You have been very helpful, thanks all. Sound advice from all of you. Now I have a bit more understanding of which one to look for.

Someone suggested a JEM. Like this one? http://www.blocket.se/vi/12117740.htm?ca=1_9_s Haha, no. That's not what I'm looking for now. A singlecoil strat is so very different from what I've got now so that's it. I just didn't realise that what I wanted was not a similar guitar, but a different. Found a used Strat California that looks nice. Tex Mex pickups don't tell me anything yet though, and I haven't got hold off the seller yet so I havent tried it.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 08:25 PM
Instructor
That's a nice JEM - i wish my had a REAL Floyd Rose tremolo! But all the new JEMs are made with Edge Pro tremolo.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jun 26 2007, 09:27 PM
lol yeah i thought the dude was gona say sommthing bout amps when i saw hhis name

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 27 2007, 01:50 AM
YOU CAN"T GO WRONG WITH A SCHECTER biggrin.gif
i have the same problem smile.gif ive got a guitar that works fine yet for some reason i save up and buy another biggrin.gif, but when it comes to the schecter hellraiser,, its a great guitar all around, you arn't losing out on anything by getting it smile.gif, its always a good idea to have backup.. and my last saying.. u can't have too many guitars biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 27 2007, 09:49 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 26 2007, 02:52 PM) *
So you can see that you are on the foothills of an amazing adventure in guitar ownership - you will look back on this struggle as the over-anxious worrying of a novice GAS sufferer - the purchases become easier as you continue, believe me. I am some way down this path, but it is a lifelong journey smile.gif

Haha! I've read it through now and you are so right biggrin.gif

I've come to terms with that fact now and surrendered. I'll start with the Strat. Next time I'll have a little chat with MickeM. I wont' struggle anymore, I'm assimilated. It's just like being married. There is no turning back and you have put your free will in the hands of higher powers once you have gone through the gate. Just go with the flow and don't question the needs of your master.

After seeing how you got tricked with the JEM and bags I am a bit scared for what the future holds for me though.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 27 2007, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 27 2007, 04:49 AM) *
Haha! I've read it through now and you are so right biggrin.gif

I've come to terms with that fact now and surrendered. I'll start with the Strat. Next time I'll have a little chat with MickeM. I wont' struggle anymore, I'm assimilated. It's just like being married. There is no turning back and you have put your free will in the hands of higher powers once you have gone through the gate. Just go with the flow and don't question the needs of your master.

After seeing how you got tricked with the JEM and bags I am a bit scared for what the future holds for me though.

This is great - you have come to terms with your condition and now you can start to enjoy life again ...

Now, regarding the Jem/Bags fiasco ... there are those that will use your addiction against you, feed it to get what they want. Let my experience be an example to you, and be careful!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
jackson-ripper
Jun 27 2007, 11:33 PM
well, all i can say is i own a gibson les paul, an ibanez 550 and a jackson rr3 with the floyd rose. the only guitar i ever play in the jackson because the seymour duncuns sound so sweet and the action is like butter. i also have a line 6 live- forget all the pedals and buy a line 6 from guitar center for 399.00. you will be amazed!!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:36 AM