Are You Happy With Your Guitar & Tone?
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 21 2018, 03:10 PM
Instructor
I'm always working on my tone and in most cases, each thing that I record needs a different type of sound. I'm much happier since I've got my Fractal Ax8 because I have lots of setting to experiment and the possibilities are infinite.

Regarding guitars, I mostly use my Les Paul, Strat and Tele, and with them I can cover a good range of sounds. However, I'm looking for a cool superstrat / shred guitar... that would be one of my next guitars for sure...

What about you? Are you happy with your guitar and tone?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 21 2018, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
My first amp's distortion was horrible, lots of hiss and noise. I spent quite a lot of money on stompboxes and pickups. I even got a hybrid amp this year. I learned all kinds of mods and wirings for both guitar and pedal...

...and then I realized the sad truth. I don't need any of them for practice and all I do nowadays is practice, no jams. So the guitar goes straight into the amp and that's it. Maybe I'd bother using my pedalboard if I were to record something to publish.

I was promised I'd get any guitar I want next summer. I'm going for white JEM JR with SH-2n, STK-S7 and Perpetual Burn. That's all I need. No 7th string attached. No scallops. I thought about more expensive stuff but just because I can choose it, doesn't mean I should.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Nov 21 2018, 04:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have been using an AX FX 2 from the same manufacturer as Gabriel for several years.
The possibilities to create new sounds are so extremely big.
Therefore, I am still very happy with the device.

I use different Ibanez guitars

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 21 2018, 05:16 PM
GMC:er
Its funny when you go through tons of mod.s/pedals then realize you were fine with a simple setup you once had smile.gif but must say I learned so much from that experience, the buy/sell process is usually a money loss (though I never got very expensive stuff) but it was worth it.

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 21 2018, 03:09 PM) *
My first amp's distortion was horrible, lots of hiss and noise. I spent quite a lot of money on stompboxes and pickups. I even got a hybrid amp this year. I learned all kinds of mods and wirings for both guitar and pedal...

...and then I realized the sad truth. I don't need any of them for practice and all I do nowadays is practice, no jams. So the guitar goes straight into the amp and that's it. Maybe I'd bother using my pedalboard if I were to record something to publish.

I was promised I'd get any guitar I want next summer. I'm going for white JEM JR with SH-2n, STK-S7 and Perpetual Burn. That's all I need. No 7th string attached. No scallops. I thought about more expensive stuff but just because I can choose it, doesn't mean I should.

Very cool you got into modding, those skills will help when you wan to tweak the finer details of tone if ever needed in the future. And a quick note about Jem jr, Jem necks are usually fatter than rg's (thats why I don't prefer them) and also the trem. on the jr isn't really good quality and might cause trouble on the long run.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 21 2018, 07:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 21 2018, 04:16 PM) *
Its funny when you go through tons of mod.s/pedals then realize you were fine with a simple setup you once had smile.gif but must say I learned so much from that experience, the buy/sell process is usually a money loss (though I never got very expensive stuff) but it was worth it.

Very cool you got into modding, those skills will help when you wan to tweak the finer details of tone if ever needed in the future. And a quick note about Jem jr, Jem necks are usually fatter than rg's (thats why I don't prefer them) and also the trem. on the jr isn't really good quality and might cause trouble on the long run.

That's a one way to say it smile.gif For the practice I only need it for palm muting, so even a hissy distortion is fine. I'm sure I'll enjoy my pedalboard in due time, especially with a better skill to utilize it smile.gif

As for JEM jr, thank you for info. I'm aware it's not a regular FR but I'm not going to use it too much. I didn't know about the difference in neck width but I have big hands, so maybe I'll be fine wit hit. I'll try it in GC when I get the chance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2018, 09:38 PM
I have tried a LOT of gear, and I still love the original stock pickups in my RG560 better than any other pups I've ever tried. It's an alnico mag so it's not fizzy but it's aggressive while still maintaining clarity. I sometimes see these old pickups going for CRAZZY amounts of money on ebay.

I am still happy with my custom 11 rack patches (once I figured out the secret was to put a parametric EQ at the head of the chain) and my OVERLOUD patches (same trick, parametric EQ at the head of the chain).
I have noticed that most folks who use plugins tend to try to use the EQ on the amp / head rather than EQ the signal before it gets to the amp. Sadly, this often results (when using high gain) in a very dense/boomy/sludge type sound that lacks any definition at all. it leads many folks to conclude that "plugins suck", when it's really just user error.

The AX8 is the pinnacle of floorboard unit technology imho. Those units sound AMAZING and you dont have to buy an external floor controller as a bonus.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 21 2018, 10:10 AM) *
I'm always working on my tone and in most cases, each thing that I record needs a different type of sound. I'm much happier since I've got my Fractal Ax8 because I have lots of setting to experiment and the possibilities are infinite.

Regarding guitars, I mostly use my Les Paul, Strat and Tele, and with them I can cover a good range of sounds. However, I'm looking for a cool superstrat / shred guitar... that would be one of my next guitars for sure...

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 21 2018, 11:02 PM
GMC Founder
For me - having the possibility to do endless variations/experimentation on a daily basis is key.

So I guess the biggest thing for me was when I went digital - and started using so called 'FRFR' monitors instead of a guitar cab.

This allowed me to start using various different speaker simulations (mostly from kemper rigs). Of course, all the different preamps and effects in the kemper help as well.

I think some underestimate the importance of the speaker, which makes up for half of your tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 22 2018, 12:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 21 2018, 10:02 PM) *
For me - having the possibility to do endless variations/experimentation on a daily basis is key.

So I guess the biggest thing for me was when I went digital - and started using so called 'FRFR' monitors instead of a guitar cab.

This allowed me to start using various different speaker simulations (mostly from kemper rigs). Of course, all the different preamps and effects in the kemper help as well.

I think some underestimate the importance of the speaker, which makes up for half of your tone.

Does Kemper profiler come with set of models or do you need to buy those you're interested in?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 22 2018, 08:10 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 22 2018, 12:04 AM) *
Does Kemper profiler come with set of models or do you need to buy those you're interested in?

It comes with thousands of free models/profiles, you just need to connect it it to the Rig Manager. Many of those profiles are the exact same tones as can be heard on top dollar studio recordings, like the profiles by Michael Wagener.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 22 2018, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 21 2018, 12:09 PM) *

That's cool mate! Go for it!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Nov 21 2018, 12:12 PM) *
I have been using an AX FX 2 from the same manufacturer as Gabriel for several years.
The possibilities to create new sounds are so extremely big.
Therefore, I am still very happy with the device.

I use different Ibanez guitars

Yeah, there are too many settings to try but that makes it funnier! I discover new things every day.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 21 2018, 01:16 PM) *

I can't agree more. The experience of getting gear and using it for some time teaches us and trains of ear. It definitely worth the cost.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 22 2018, 08:06 PM
Same here smile.gif I'm using my studio monitors as FRFR stereo cabs. It allows you to dial in much more detailed tone imho. This is a condenser mic in the room picking up the sound from the Kali being used as FRFR guitar cabs. That's why you can hear the pick strikes and string vibrations. I've got the volume on the monitors pretty low, low enough that you can hear guitar pick strikes on the mic, and they still sound great.

Todd
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 21 2018, 06:02 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 22 2018, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 23 2018, 09:01 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 22 2018, 08:06 PM) *
Same here smile.gif I'm using my studio monitors as FRFR stereo cabs. It allows you to dial in much more detailed tone imho. This is a condenser mic in the room picking up the sound from the Kali being used as FRFR guitar cabs. That's why you can hear the pick strikes and string vibrations. I've got the volume on the monitors pretty low, low enough that you can hear guitar pick strikes on the mic, and they still sound great.

Todd

Yeah, sounds great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2018, 01:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 22 2018, 04:06 PM) *

Todd

Great sound Todd! I like when you can hear the pick in guitar videos. I've experimented combining a condenser mic with the direct line and I've liked the result. It gives more "life" to the direct line sound but you can control the mix between room (pick) and guitar tone in the mix, have you tried it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
creesenator
Nov 29 2018, 04:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Playe
I have been using a Helix with a line 6 FRFR speaker for about a year and really love it. It took me a while to figure it out, but now it is great. I have used it live a few times, at home, at band practice. I really like it.

The only negative is their are so many tones/options you have to be careful to just narrow in on what you want and not spend hours playing with the different amps/pedals/speakers.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2018, 03:50 AM
I have tried it smile.gif I sometimes do exatly that in demo vids since the vocal mic picks up my pick strikes and the plugin does the processing.

In this case, it's just a condenser mic sitting near the speakers picking up the speaker color/tone and the picking just cause it's near by.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 23 2018, 08:57 AM) *
Great sound Todd! I like when you can hear the pick in guitar videos. I've experimented combining a condenser mic with the direct line and I've liked the result. It gives more "life" to the direct line sound but you can control the mix between room (pick) and guitar tone in the mix, have you tried it?

Thanks! It's the same idea as you using your kemper through your Studio Monitors. It seems to be a very popular setup these days! Just cutting the guitar cab out of the chain.
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 23 2018, 04:01 AM) *
Yeah, sounds great!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 3 2018, 08:40 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (creesenator @ Nov 29 2018, 04:48 PM) *
I have been using a Helix with a line 6 FRFR speaker for about a year and really love it. It took me a while to figure it out, but now it is great. I have used it live a few times, at home, at band practice. I really like it.

The only negative is their are so many tones/options you have to be careful to just narrow in on what you want and not spend hours playing with the different amps/pedals/speakers.

Good point! I also used to see hat as a problem.

Nowadays though, I see that tone search as one of the most importants aspects of practicing - because tone has such a major impact on how the listener perceives your playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2018, 03:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 3 2018, 04:40 AM) *
Nowadays though, I see that tone search as one of the most importants aspects of practicing - because tone has such a major impact on how the listener perceives your playing.

I totally agree with this. By tone I would include amp/pedal settings, guitar used, pick/fingers (and how you use it), and dynamics. These and some other technique elements affect our tone.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 25 2018, 09:33 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 21 2018, 03:10 PM) *

I know it's maybe not related to learning but could we work on this in our Mentoring Thread? I like my tone but maybe there's much more potential in my gear to bring out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2018, 05:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 25 2018, 05:33 PM) *
I know it's maybe not related to learning but could we work on this in our Mentoring Thread? I like my tone but maybe there's much more potential in my gear to bring out.

Sure mate! We can work on tone at the mentoring program. I consider it a very important aspect of guitar playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:13 AM