Denisn's Mtp Thread
Emir Hot
Dec 1 2009, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Hi DenisN

Please write a short info about your current playing abilities, prefered styles and post some recordings or a video.
I am looking forward to this and I hope that you will learn many useful things throughout this program.

All the best
Emir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 2 2009, 06:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

My name is Denis and I'am a 25 years old guitar player living in Zagreb (born in Tuzla smile.gif ). I played guitar for 1,5 years during high school and stopped after getting into college.(Very, very stupid mistake!) After a 4 years break I decided to pick it up again and been playing since then for two years but taking it much more serious. During high school I played mostly some chords, classical picking pieces...nothing to technically demanding. Now I'm working and try to find time as much as possible for guitar besides my other obligations.

Technique:

I mostly use alternate picking. Never really pushed legato, and somehow I can't stick to the same routine more than 3 weeks for the sweeping excercises. I really enjoy playing more complex stuff but if it has a melody or is a complete piece.
Regarding tapping, I am working on your tapping 16th notes lesson.

Theory
I know the theory behind the modes and chord construction. But I haven't really used it a lot. I am also uncertain about the shapes, I know them basically but need time to think about what is the next and always move in boxes.

Routine

Could need some advice about that. I mostly try to play and improve some lessons, some classical melodies I learned. Not much focusing on doing some real technical stuff like 1-2-3-4 because it gets boring after a couple of days.

Weak points/ what I'd like to improve

-much better vibrato (I have none biggrin.gif)
-shifting positions
-sweeping
- speed while alternate picking (I know it comes with time so I not worried abut that anymore)

What I like to play and listen to

- I really like to play classical/ neoclassical melodies arranged for electric guitar. Mostly I practice some kind of classical melody like Rondo alla turca, Bandinerie etc...(I'll upload some)

-I used to listen a lot to metal (Pantera, The Haunted, Machine etc.) but the years have finally got to me and I really enjoy sevdah alot smile.gif
So I would like to know some theory behind it also - the changes from minor to major and scales (I mostly use the ''harmonic'' scales). I try to incorporate it into my band where we play some metal with 'narodni' vocals biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tzv. narodni metal biggrin.gif

I will buy a camera this week and upload some videos of some lessons and melodies I try to master.

That would be it...it's kinda hard to analyze oneself so please ask if you have some more questions....that woud be much easier biggrin.gif

*One more thing, I am tuned one whole note lower to D because we use that tuning in the band. I hope that's no problem sad.gif...I don't like retuning it to E because I have a floating bridge and it's a pain retuning it.*

Pozdrav,

Denis

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DenisN: Dec 2 2009, 06:54 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 3 2009, 11:38 AM
Instructor
Great post Denis. You will definitely need a camera and some sort of recording interface so we can do assignments. From what you told me I can see that you know a lot of different stuff and we also have a similar taste in music smile.gif That should all be helpful throughout this phase of MTP.

Let's focus on your weak points. You mentioned shifting positions. In order to cover the whole neck when playing and improvising I always start with major scale patterns so let's first learn that.

This is the chart and the video from Dexxter's MTP thread. Here I am explaining the first 3 positions of the chart and you can figure out the other two. Later we will make a good use of these patterns.

This is how Dexxter did it. He made a drum loop and played over it. It would be nice if you can do the same.

For this one you don't need to retune your guitar but later you probably will because I will make you backing track in a key I would want you to play.

So this is your first assignment and I will open the new assignment thread where you can post your final work. Keep this one for disscussion and practicing. Later we'll do some sweep picking exercises as you said you're not comfortabe with it.

Don't forget that you need to submit your REC take once a month. You said that your weak point is vibrato so I suggest that we go for my Neoclassical solo for beginners. That's a great one for vibrato. Everytime you learn a part post it here so I can correct you whenever you go wrong.

See you soon smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2009, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Great job on your first assignment. Thanks for uploading the video. Now let's move on.

Here is the chart that I want you to play. Start from the top and read from left to right. First you play A major in position 5, then you play C major in position 4 etc... When you finish you move to the next row - A major position 1 etc... Your starting point should be between 1st and the 5th fret. You should play the whole thing with no stop. Make a backing with these chords in order: A, C, D, F, G and play along. This exercise should seriously improve your fretboard skills.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 5 2009, 08:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Hej Emir,

Neoclassical solo for beginners: I have it all memorized but I'm still a litle bit 'stiff' with some parts. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Other videos: I got the camera today and I figured out how to comibine the audio with the video (wow biggrin.gif ). But the sincronization is a pain sad.gif..Perhaps you know a better program than windows media player for that kind of stuff?

New assignement: Ovaj ce boljeti biggrin.gif I'll throw myself tomorrw on it.

Pozdrav,
Denis

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2009, 09:13 PM
Instructor
I use Sony Vegas for video editing. Windows Movie Maker can also do the job. You can separate audio and video then move it a little until you get the right spot.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 6 2009, 08:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Hej Emir,

Well like I promissed here are some takes of me playing. It's good I got this camera now so I can really see how lame this sounds (šaka jada biggrin.gif)...I though it was better but I guess the camera doesn't lie smile.gif... Any comments are welcome!!

Neoclassic solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfmKWgydcM

It's good I chose this one because vibrato is perhaps the most important thing and it's not my strenght.

Mozart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LL3d7d_nUs

The speed is 110 bpm. I chose this speed because I can play it every time. I can play many parts at higher speeds (120-125) but I don't have the stamina to go trough it.

Neoclassic solo by Marcus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4GEUQAERHc

I have a backing track for this at 100bpm. I transposed it 1 tone lower because of the tuning.

Pozdrav,

Denis

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 7 2009, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Nice videos man smile.gif On my neoclassical solo you missed 2 notes on 0:57 and that threw you completely out of timing smile.gif

If you want to go for that one for the REC, check this thread and download the video where I did 14 min explaination how to play that lesson. I spent a lot of time talking about the vibrato which you definitely need to improve smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 7 2009, 06:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hej Emir,

Tnx for the video..really helpful. Could you send me the backing track for it?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 7 2009, 06:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 7 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Hej Emir,

Tnx for the video..really helpful. Could you send me the backing track for it?

Sure. Go to this thread and get the backing from my first post.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 7 2009, 08:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Hvala stari!..You are too fast biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 7 2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 7 2009, 07:10 PM) *
Hvala stari!..You are too fast biggrin.gif

hahah smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 15 2010, 12:30 AM
Instructor
Halo stari

I am terribly sorry for being this late. There was just too much going on. If you're happy to finish up our old MTP phase then help me and let me know where we stopped. I can't keep a good track anymore as there are too many guys now together with the new group smile.gif

Let me know either way so we can move on or lock the topic smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Mar 16 2010, 03:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 15 2010, 12:30 AM) *
Halo stari

I am terribly sorry for being this late. There was just too much going on. If you're happy to finish up our old MTP phase then help me and let me know where we stopped. I can't keep a good track anymore as there are too many guys now together with the new group smile.gif

Let me know either way so we can move on or lock the topic smile.gif

Cheers

Hahaha...nema problema wink.gif

The last thing I did was playing maj7, min7 and dom7 arpegios in five positions. I must admitt that I have to sit down again and go trough them biggrin.gif..I'm not sure what is next.

One more thing, when will your alternate series start?

Pozz,
Denis

This post has been edited by DenisN: Mar 16 2010, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 16 2010, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Mar 16 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Hahaha...nema problema wink.gif

The last thing I did was playing maj7, min7 and dom7 arpegios in five positions. I must admitt that I have to sit down again and go trough them biggrin.gif..I'm not sure what is next.

One more thing, when will your alternate series start?

Pozz,
Denis

So I should give you the next assignmet? Let's go for the one that I've given to some other guys.

This is a slow bluesy backing for you.

Am7, D9, Am7, D9
Gm7, C9, Gm7, C9
Am7, D9, Am7, D9
Am6

Over m7 play Dorian and over dominant chord play mixolydian. I need as many licks and lines as possible. Don't use linear scales just up and down. I want you to make interesting phrases and cover the neck as much as possible. Also I need to see that you're connecting positions. Don't just get stuck in one position and jump 3 positions up on the next chord. For example if you are in position 1 for dorian, the next mixolidyan is your position 4 on the same place. Then you can move it one position further and connect the next dorian from there. All I'm saying is that you have to connect shapes without too much jumping. Also for dorian licks try to target interesting notes like b7th and 6th. For mixolidyan use maj3rd and b7th as much as possible so that we can really hear the change of modes. If you don't know all the scales then try with arpeggios, that's easier but also very effective. The solo should have a bluesy vibe smile.gif

good luck

Backing track

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Mar 17 2010, 07:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 16 2010, 05:32 PM) *
So I should give you the next assignmet? Let's go for the one that I've given to some other guys.

This is a slow bluesy backing for you.

Am7, D9, Am7, D9
Gm7, C9, Gm7, C9
Am7, D9, Am7, D9
Am6

Over m7 play Dorian and over dominant chord play mixolydian. I need as many licks and lines as possible. Don't use linear scales just up and down. I want you to make interesting phrases and cover the neck as much as possible. Also I need to see that you're connecting positions. Don't just get stuck in one position and jump 3 positions up on the next chord. For example if you are in position 1 for dorian, the next mixolidyan is your position 4 on the same place. Then you can move it one position further and connect the next dorian from there. All I'm saying is that you have to connect shapes without too much jumping. Also for dorian licks try to target interesting notes like b7th and 6th. For mixolidyan use maj3rd and b7th as much as possible so that we can really hear the change of modes. If you don't know all the scales then try with arpeggios, that's easier but also very effective. The solo should have a bluesy vibe smile.gif

good luck

Backing track

Halo Emire,

So this means that I have to learn all the 5 shapes for the dorian mod I suppose and for the Mxolidian as well?

So Dorian 1st position is II shape of the major scale with roots on 5tf fret E string (high and low) and 7th fret d string etc...

What was your approach when learning this?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 20 2010, 04:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Mar 17 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Halo Emire,

So this means that I have to learn all the 5 shapes for the dorian mod I suppose and for the Mxolidian as well?

So Dorian 1st position is II shape of the major scale with roots on 5tf fret E string (high and low) and 7th fret d string etc...

What was your approach when learning this?

Correct, that's the Dorian position 1 but if you look from a major scale it's position 2. However you shound't think of major scale when playing dorian mode. Think of your dorian root and build phrases around it.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Mar 27 2010, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Pozz Emire,

Ok, sorry for the late submission but this month is hell at work. I hope it sorts out very quickly because it is ruining my Rockstar life biggrin.gif !!
And also my submission thread is locked! sad.gif

1- Here is the Last MTP:
I'm not so stisfied but I think I get the Idea how to get the specific sound out of a mode. It's basicly simple, you just target the specific notes smile.gif...but for that you need to know where your 'mode' root is at all time- with that part I'm still struggeling but I will focus on it in my dayly routine.

2- To show you that I've not been lazy the last month here are some things I've been working on.

Tapping: I know it's a little bit sloppy but I hope to clean it up and submit it as REc this month. Thta would be a great achievement smile.gif

Picking: I've been practicing this part for ages and 130 bpm is the max speed after I'm warmed up really good. My right arm gets stiff and I have to make breaks. I guess that's normal I I just need to practice it.

Denis

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 31 2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor
Ok, can you please post that assignment video in your assignment thread? We need to have it there, then I will comment on that.

About the other two:

Tapping is quite good.

Picking is also not bad but you're starting from the wrong beat smile.gif Play first 4 notes before the drums. It's like a pre-bar. Drums should start on your 5th note.

edit: sorry just seen that the topic was locked because we've done the December. Now I opened for January so move that video there.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Mar 31 2010, 11:23 PM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Apr 1 2010, 06:00 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Apr 1 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Picking is also not bad but you're starting from the wrong beat smile.gif Play first 4 notes before the drums. It's like a pre-bar. Drums should start on your 5th note.

edit: sorry just seen that the topic was locked because we've done the December. Now I opened for January so move that video there.

Hi,
Tnx for the advices. Well I use these drums only instaed of a metonome but I know what you mean.

The mtp is on the other thread.

Denis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:01 AM