2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Barenaked Ninja, Individual assignment & discussion thread
Velvet Roger
Feb 25 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
This thread will be used for your individual assignments and discussion smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 27 2009, 07:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Lee,

Here is your first individual assignment for the MTP:

Assignment #1 - Barenaked Ninja

Lesson

I am planning to do the syllabus lessons in the same order with you, as it can't really hurt and hopefully we can quickly progress to a bit more advanced stuff. I would suggest to start the MTP with the lesson: Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Technically speaking there is nothing challenging to this lesson, however timing wise it should be spot on. Try to get it perfect with downstrokes during the arpeggio's first on low tempo and gradually speed it up to full-tempo.

I don't expect that you will have lots of difficulties with this lesson, but take the time you need to record a good video of it smile.gif

Deadline

I would like you to upload a video of this lesson in your own upload thread when you are able too (keeping in mind your back). Also if you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

Good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 2 2009, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
Cool deal. My back is feeling pretty good. I'm aiming to have a video up by this weekend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 5 2009, 09:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Lee,

Here is your second individual assignment for the MTP:

Assignment #2 - Barenaked Ninja

Lesson

We are going to continue to work a bit more on the rhythm and timing foundation, which should not be a too big problem for you, given the nice result of the first assignment.

You may choose one of the following lessons. I would like you to upload a take of the complete lesson if at all possible (in the original syllabus 1/2 lesson is mentioned, but I think that the 2nd parts of especially alternative 2 and 3 are particularly interesting for you as well given your current level of playing). You may choose the backing track speed you like (I don't mind the speed at this moment).

Alternative 1: Smoke on the water - Deep Purple

Alternative 2: Blues grooves library part 1 (tabs found on right hand side "Tab" link)

Alternative 3: Alice in Chains lesson

As you have already played the guitar for quite a while I would like to suggest to you to choose either alternative 2 or if you like to solo also a bit more, alternative 3 would be great.

Deadline

I would like you to upload a video of this lesson in your own upload thread at Wednesday 11 Mar if at all possible. Also if you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

Let me know which lesson you choose and whether you think a take of the complete lesson would be possible within the deadline (based on that we can either decide to extend the deadline or 1/2 the lesson wink.gif

Good luck!!!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 5 2009, 09:48 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 11 2009, 10:42 PM
Hey Roger, just wanted to give you an update. I'm working on the Alice in Chains lesson. It's coming along pretty well, but I'm having some problems getting the timing of the pulloffs/legato at the end to work out as well as having it sound clean. That part is pretty challenging and Gabriel makes it look so easy! I hope to have it this weekend sometime. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 12 2009, 12:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Mar 11 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Hey Roger, just wanted to give you an update. I'm working on the Alice in Chains lesson. It's coming along pretty well, but I'm having some problems getting the timing of the pulloffs/legato at the end to work out as well as having it sound clean. That part is pretty challenging and Gabriel makes it look so easy! I hope to have it this weekend sometime. Thanks.

Thanks for the update Lee, good to hear that most parts are getting fine. Try to practice those pulloffs/legato at low speed first to get them clean and smooth before getting it up to speed smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 12 2009, 12:17 AM
Instructor
Just wanted to say very good work Roger, excellent assignments !
Ninja you are in good hands smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 20 2009, 03:59 AM
Hey Roger. Just checking in again.

Sorry about the delay in getting my stuff up. I had a buddy from college visit last weekend so I missed out on playing then. I've been working on the AIC lesson this week.

I'm going slowly through this lesson because it has made me realize I have almost no legato skills biggrin.gif. So I'm being very deliberate as I practice it because I don't want to just struggle through it for the sake of getting a video up and moving on to the next lesson. I hope that is alright with you.

This weekend is wide open for me, so I'll have the video up soon! I'm even going to set a reminder for Sunday's chat!

This post has been edited by Barenaked Ninja: Mar 20 2009, 04:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 20 2009, 05:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Looking forward to the video Lee! smile.gif

Cheers
Roger

QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Mar 20 2009, 03:59 AM) *
Hey Roger. Just checking in again.

Sorry about the delay in getting my stuff up. I had a buddy from college visit last weekend so I missed out on playing then. I've been working on the AIC lesson this week.

I'm going slowly through this lesson because it has made me realize I have almost no legato skills biggrin.gif . So I'm being very deliberate as I practice it because I don't want to just struggle through it for the sake of getting a video up and moving on to the next lesson. I hope that is alright with you.

This weekend is wide open for me, so I'll have the video up soon! I'm even going to set a reminder for Sunday's chat!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 28 2009, 11:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Assignment #3 - Barenaked Ninja

With this assignment, we are going to work on some solo work (lets continue with the Syllabus until the 4th assignment and then we are going to work on specific aspects of technique etc).

This assignment contains three possible alternatives:

Alternative 1 - John Frusciante lesson

Alternative 2 - Slow Pentatonics lesson

Alternative 3 - Tarantella Rock lesson

Please choose one of these alternatives (although nr. 3 sounds maybe the coolest, if you choose nr. 1 or 2 keep in mind that all the nuances really make or break those solo's).

Try to use the same fingerings as the instructors as much as possible. As always, split up the solo's into smaller pieces and practice them at slower speeds until you get the timings right. View the instructor's version quite a bit in order to copy that as much as possible in your own take.

Given your playing level, I would like to see as much nuances (vibrato, feel etc.) as possible in your solo as well smile.gif

Deadline

I would like you to upload a video of this lesson in your own upload thread at Saturday 4 Apr if at all possible. Also if you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

Let me know which lesson you choose and whether you think a take of the complete lesson would be possible within the deadline (based on that we can either decide to extend the deadline or 1/2 the lesson wink.gif

Good luck!!!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Mar 30 2009, 02:58 AM
Hey Roger!

I'll give Tarantella Rock a shot. I got this weekend coming up open so, how about I shoot for having a video up on Sunday the 5th? Does that work for you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 30 2009, 08:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Mar 30 2009, 03:58 AM) *
Hey Roger!

I'll give Tarantella Rock a shot. I got this weekend coming up open so, how about I shoot for having a video up on Sunday the 5th? Does that work for you?

Yeah that's fine. Am in the US until the 6th anyways smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Apr 10 2009, 04:50 AM
What's up Roger, just wanted to let you know I saw the Group Assignment. I plan on knocking these out soon. I've just been having trouble getting enough guitar time lately. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 10 2009, 04:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Apr 10 2009, 05:50 AM) *
What's up Roger, just wanted to let you know I saw the Group Assignment. I plan on knocking these out soon. I've just been having trouble getting enough guitar time lately. sad.gif

Don't worry, thanks for letting me know! smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 11 2009, 10:19 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Assignment #4 - Barenaked Ninja

Lesson
Before moving to some etude lesson's on alternate picking, legato and such, I thought it would be good to work on the following lesson which contains a lot of vibrato/bending - in conjuction it also contains quite a bit of theory which is something I am going to focus a bit more on from now on. I would like you to work on the following lesson of Muris: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-melodic-solo/

This lesson contains quite a few bends, some wide vibrato as well, and I would like to see from you that these bends/vibrato are executed as perfect as possible (I know you can do it! smile.gif)

In terms of theory assignment, in conjuction with this lesson, I would like you to really go a bit more in depth in the accompanying texts of the video's, which pretty much describe the note choices Muris did when composing this solo.

Also, you will notice that the solo is primarily based on E minor, but the E minor pentatonic, phrygian and harmonic minor are also used. What would be good is to memorize the 3-note per string pattern of the E minor (E Aeolian), E Phrygian and E Harmonic Minor for the 1st position: Index finger starting on the root note of the 6 string.

Finally, I would suggest you to take a close look at this excellent lesson by Can (the above 3 note per string patterns for both the Aeolian as Phrygian are discussed there): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=23160

Let's focus as much as you can on the vibrato/bending in this lesson.

Deadline

I would like you to upload a video of this lesson in your own upload thread before next week Saturday 18 Apr if at all possible. Also if you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

Good luck!!!

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Apr 20 2009, 05:11 AM
What's up Roger? Just wanted to give you an update. I've been real busy lately and playing guitar seems to be consistently losing out in the battle for my free time! I've just started learning the E minor melodic solo lesson and am super-pumped to figure it out. I wish the MTP was around about 5-7 years ago when I was a college student. I had loads of free time then!!! Ah well, I just wanted to give you an update. Take care!

This post has been edited by Barenaked Ninja: Apr 20 2009, 05:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 20 2009, 09:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Apr 20 2009, 06:11 AM) *
What's up Roger? Just wanted to give you an update. I've been real busy lately and playing guitar seems to be consistently losing out in the battle for my free time! I've just started learning the E minor melodic solo lesson and am super-pumped to figure it out. I wish the MTP was around about 5-7 years ago when I was a college student. I had loads of free time then!!! Ah well, I just wanted to give you an update. Take care!

I know what you mean, if this was active 10 years ago, I was miles further for sure. Thanks for the update smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Apr 28 2009, 04:24 AM
Hey Roger, just checking in. Slowly but surely I'm making progress on this one. I've got it figured out pretty much but am still having some trouble with Measure 9 (the Em pent lick). I trip up going from the 14 on the G string to the 15 on the high E. I'm also having trouble finding time for the prebended 14 on the G string. On top of all of that playing that measure cleanly and making it flow like Muris. Any tips would be much appreciated!

I really like this song. It reminds me something Def Leppard would play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Apr 28 2009, 06:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Apr 28 2009, 05:24 AM) *
Hey Roger, just checking in. Slowly but surely I'm making progress on this one. I've got it figured out pretty much but am still having some trouble with Measure 9 (the Em pent lick). I trip up going from the 14 on the G string to the 15 on the high E. I'm also having trouble finding time for the prebended 14 on the G string. On top of all of that playing that measure cleanly and making it flow like Muris. Any tips would be much appreciated!

I really like this song. It reminds me something Def Leppard would play.

Measure 9 is surely not an easy bar to play cleanly and I had quite a bit of difficulty getting it more or less right. The key thing that helped me out here is (as always), play the bar really slowly to get it completely right first, without any exceptions and from that speed it up gradually. The problem I had was that I could play 95% of that measure at the right speed but the last 5% was always off until the moment that I really slowed down also the 95% I could already play OK.

Btw, the pre-bend is the most difficult thing here as you more or less need to pre-bend it in 64th note speed here or so in order to make it flow smile.gif

Cheers
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 14 2009, 06:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Lee,

How are things? Any idea when you will be able to upload a take of your assignment?

Cheers
Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: May 14 2009, 06:53 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 AM