> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

The Motley Crue Style Lesson
uncguy4321
Jul 12 2013, 03:46 AM
GMC:er
Gabriel,

Love this lesson. I am a beginner in guitar..about 7 months in...and I have mainly done rhythm playing. So, even though your lesson is rhythm in nature, it really makes you focus on which strings you hit. I have been doing mainly focusing on my fret hand, letting my pick hand just happily swing away at all strings.

So, Ive been kind of slowly progressing on the opening bit. So I know you angle your pick on this song, but when I try this (never having done it before...i have been strictly "normal" parallel angle with strings) i have a bit of a hard time. Is angling the pick necessary, do you think for this style?

For instance, when I angle it like you, its like the pick doesnt really pluck the strings enough to generate enough sound. Hope that makes sense.

But then, with a normal flat angle, the pick really grips the strings really fat and I can see how that would make someone slower.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2013, 05:52 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! I'm glad to know that you are enjoying this lesson! Let me say that it's not an easy lesson for beginners so you will have to work hard to master it. Angling the pick helps to get a more defined sound, if you experiment changing the angle from flat to 90° you will notice that the tone changes a lot but the guitar tone converts to a noise when you reach an angle of 90°. If you are not getting a defined sound, I think that you must be angling too much. Experiment changing the angle until you get a sound that you like. Angling a bit your pick also helps to cross strings smoothly so I really recommend to do it at least a bit.

Do you have the possibility of recording a video to let me see and hear the problem?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 12 2013, 08:30 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 12 2013, 04:52 AM) *
Do you have the possibility of recording a video to let me see and hear the problem?

I need to get a cam! I will shortly, ive been wanting to get some videos going as this will help my learning a lot.

As for now, I have been experimenting with angles....i think i was going TOO far to 90. Is a bit better now.

Gabriel, do you find that when you angle your pick, it tends to kind of slide out of place between your fingers after several strokes?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 12:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 12 2013, 04:30 AM) *
I need to get a cam! I will shortly, ive been wanting to get some videos going as this will help my learning a lot.

As for now, I have been experimenting with angles....i think i was going TOO far to 90. Is a bit better now.

Gabriel, do you find that when you angle your pick, it tends to kind of slide out of place between your fingers after several strokes?

This is something that can happen. There are two solutions for this. The first one is to hold it with more strength, and keep on experimenting until this stops happening. The second one is getting this type of pics:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 13 2013, 04:47 AM

Gab,

Here is a crude ipod video. Its just the opening riff...kinda. I need any and all input. From holding the pick, to the fret hand, whatever else. When I get a new cam ill be able to upload better vids!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 05:53 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the video. Basing on what I can see and hear, everything seems to be good. I can see very well how you are holding your pick, but have in mind that if you hold it using the tip your your index and thumb, or closer the the tips, you will be able to hold it stronger. Also adding grip to your pick would definitely help!

Check this video:

http://youtu.be/J4J9u5QY7Rs

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 13 2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice!

What do you think about the fact that my habit is to not have my thumb over the top of the neck, like you do? Is this bad or just a different style?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 10:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 13 2013, 05:51 PM) *
Thanks for the advice!

What do you think about the fact that my habit is to not have my thumb over the top of the neck, like you do? Is this bad or just a different style?

I think that this could be the reason why you are having this issue. It can be a different style but only if you can solve this problem. There are many guitarists that has different ways to hold a pick, just check how Steve Morse and Van Halen does it and you will discover that there is not 1 effective way to do it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:48 AM