Created A Facebook Fan Page
SirJamsalot
Jul 25 2012, 10:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know some of you are allergic to Facebook (and for good reason), but it's a convenient place for me start a page quickly and cheaply. If you're one of the unlucky souls with a facebook account, please clicky clicky clicky on the like!

I'm planning on posting updates on our band's preparations for the show - including (hopefully) some videos of our band-practices.

https://www.facebook.com/RedToosday

Thanks guys!
Chris

Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you about our show! Well, the details are on the fan page. Basically it's a classic covers competition , with finalists vying for the grand prize of a $500 dollar performance slot at the Lafayette Art and Wine festival. Judges will be scoring on musicality, performance swag, and audience reaction. I'm pretty excited about this, win or lose!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2012, 01:13 AM
GMC:er
Can't blame the 'Facebook Phobic" but just LIKED your page! smile.gif

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 25 2012, 05:45 PM) *
I know some of you are allergic to Facebook (and for good reason), but it's a convenient place for me start a page quickly and cheaply. If you're one of the unlucky souls with a facebook account, please clicky clicky clicky on the like!

I'm planning on posting updates on our band's preparations for the show - including (hopefully) some videos of our band-practices.

https://www.facebook.com/RedToosday

Thanks guys!
Chris

Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you about our show! Well, the details are on the fan page. Basically it's a classic covers competition , with finalists vying for the grand prize of a $500 dollar performance slot at the Lafayette Art and Wine festival. Judges will be scoring on musicality, performance swag, and audience reaction. I'm pretty excited about this, win or lose!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 26 2012, 05:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 25 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Can't blame the 'Facebook Phobic" but just LIKED your page! smile.gif

rad, thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 26 2012, 06:49 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Chris,

liked!

I think facebook is a great tool for bands these days, or single artists for that matter. Just look at Brandon and his growing success!
Or my festival blog site, that will soon have it's first videos in english since many of you guys here started following me and my buddy Karl as well.

All the best!

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Yash
Jul 26 2012, 01:34 PM
GMC:er
Liked Sir Jams smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2012, 05:30 PM
Instructor
Cool! Congrats mate! I liked the page! and also good luck with that competition! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 26 2012, 06:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll have to take the "Fireball route" to coin a new marketing phrase smile.gif I want to have a video or two up before I start anything like that though.

I'm having so much fun with this biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Aug 20 2012, 07:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey everyone,

I've been absent a short while due to all the show prep (and work of course), but wanted to give an update for anyone who might have been interested to know how the show went.

Thursday of last week, we hit the stage to compete for a position at the Lafayette Art and wine (a local festival we've played once before). This was perhaps our best show ever, but not for the typical reason. Unfortunately we didn't make it to the final rounds (to be held on the 30th of this month), but we came away with so many compliments, it blew my mind - and here is why.

The competition was judged us on 3 things.
1. Total crowd draw (as a band, we drew 30 people to our show). This was purely a financial indicator of what we could do for the Wine Festival, and makes sense from that perspective.

2. Musicality - how well did we execute the song - were we tight? vocals sound good? Good mix? Good song transitions? In key?

3. Performance - did we get the audience into it? Were we entertaining?

After the winners were announced, we asked the judges where we fell short in their books. I was surprised to hear the first critique they had was that we didn't draw enough people! There were a total of 5 bands that evening, and the crowd on the floor was about 150 people. That means we drew 20% of the audience. I found it difficult to believe that other bands out did us on draw. It turns out too that Kiss/Motley Crue were playing a concert that same night so at least 10 more people from my contacts said they would have made it, but it is what it is...

Their second critique was musicality. This is the one aspect of our show I know we didn't pass muster. The other guitarist in our band has a difficult time hearing whether or not his guitar goes out of tune. As such, I insisted he bring and use a tuner (which he had to borrow!...). One of our fans said we sounded great, but they did mention our other guitarist seemed out of tune most of our set, which I heard, but when you're playing, you can't really stop the show between songs to tell him - we had planned for quick song transitions, so if he's not on the ball, he should have been tuning immediately after each song in preparation for the next one. that said, I snarfed on few songs, so all things considered, it was a band-failure on musicality, though from the audience' perspective, we sounded "awesome" to quote the people we talked to.

The final critique was stage presence. I thought (and everyone I spoke with agreed) that we were the most entertaining band of the night. Something I've personally been working on is stage presence. I practice every night playing while walking, jumping, swaying, head banging - all in front of a mirror to make sure I don't do anything too silly smile.gif

During the show, I determined to not have any reservations, so I immediately broke the ice by talking to the audience, walking up to the edge of the stage and engaging them with a huge smile on my face. You could see them light up immediately. The response was encouraging and settling! At that point, I made sure that ALL of my movements were larger than life - during solos, I would lean WAY BACK - during riffs, I would lean low and into the guitar, during rhythm sections, I should be in constant dance-mode, swaying with the music and always smiling or showing some sort of emotion. It felt great, and we had tremendous applause. We were the only band with a group of front row stage standers - they were waving, singing, having a good old time! I made sure to acknowledge everyone by leaning forward and playing in their face, point people out, react with a smile of acknowledgement, and you could tell they felt acknowledged by their reactions. I even pointed to people i the back of the room to acknowledge them. It was the most fun I've ever had on stage.

I felt our musicality suffered because of the all the motion and attention to people, but I didn't get the feeling that anyone cared, because the stage presence was just FUN for everyone I talked to after the show.

What I learned that night was that people break out of their shell, when you break out of yours! It's okay to look like an idiot on stage as long as you look like you mean to look like an idiot, and people love acknowledgement - something as simple as eye contact will make them feel like they are part of the show. It becomes less about the music and more about the entertainment, which I really think what playing on stage is all about. If people want to hear perfection, they'll listen to a CD. They come to a show to be entertained - musicality takes a back-seat when all is said and done.

However, in our case - there were judges who weighed our performance primarily on draw and musicality. We couldn't complain - playing really was our reward, but it shows a different mindset at play. I hung around and watched the other bands. None of the other band had any flair. If they didn't play so well (there was a lot of talent that night), I would have personally been bored enough to walk out. All their attention was aimed at their own instruments. Only one band had a singer that dared to step up to the edge of the stage, or walk around and really get into it. I was really surprised no one really got pumped up on stage.

I have decided to take our performance to the next level. We are going to start practicing synchronized motions at key points of songs that we play. I'm hoping this will give us more practice playing our instruments while moving around to help improve our "overall musicality", while at the same time, give the audience something to enjoy. As far as I'm concerned at this point, putting on a show means grabbing people's attention visually as well as audibly. That's what live performance is all about. I always knew it was, but experiencing it first hand solidified that belief, and gave me a strong pool of ideas to try on stage at our next show. I'm looking forward to becoming an entertainer as well as musician.

Cheers.
Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:51 AM