The Bad Thing(s?) About Thin Necks...
Mertay
Jun 9 2017, 02:46 PM
GMC:er
I'm transposing a song for this kid who wants to play a basic rock song on acoustic guitar. Nothing advanced, I even added some material in it so it sounds better on acoustic guitar.

While doing so I used my ibanez unplugged simply because its close to my computer. When I was done I had this tension on my left wrist I didn't remember for a long time. The song has a lot of bare chords and my thumb position with a thin neck isn't the best for this use. Made me remember why some likes chunky necks aside tone and feel smile.gif

I read many also have wrist pain playing standing-up with thin necks. My guess is many who complain uses a lot of chords, squeeze the neck too must while fretting or simply position them like a Fender to their bodys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 9 2017, 02:48 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2017, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
This is a problem I used to see all the time with students. I'm a big ibby fan, so many of my students do end up getting an ibby strangely. The "over squeeze" can be an issue. Especially when playing with out an amp/without going to computer/plugin etc. Just playing with the guitar unplugged. Folks end up squeezing to hard. Especially on guitars that are less resonant. Chambered neck through guitars are very resonant. Some bolt on, thin necked axes are just a pinch less resonant so folks over commit on pick strikes and fretting to make up for it.

The simple fix is just to plug the darn guitar in to something. Anything. Your computer/audio interface, an amp, rack unit, anything. This overcomes the resonance/volume issue and can encourage a lighter touch. I'm all about a light touch as it promotes ones ability to play in long bouts without over stressing the hand/arm which can result in permanent damage/carpal tunnel syndrome.

So plug it in folks wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 9 2017, 09:46 AM) *
I'm transposing a song for this kid who wants to play a basic rock song on acoustic guitar. Nothing advanced, I even added some material in it so it sounds better on acoustic guitar.

While doing so I used my ibanez unplugged simply because its close to my computer. When I was done I had this tension on my left wrist I didn't remember for a long time. The song has a lot of bare chords and my thumb position with a thin neck isn't the best for this use. Made me remember why some likes chunky necks aside tone and feel smile.gif

I read many also have wrist pain playing standing-up with thin necks. My guess is many who complain uses a lot of chords, squeeze the neck too must while fretting or simply position them like a Fender to their bodys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:03 PM