Guitar Looper Pedal
Ignite
Nov 7 2008, 06:02 PM
GMC:er
My guitar teacher told about a Guitar Looping pedal that will record a rhythem and play it back over and over again.

My question, before I go spend a few hundred dollars on this thing, do you think it would help me in creating solos for songs, or just making stuff up in general, because it is hard for me to just play scales and modes out of nowhere without hearing the chords, and I usually forget what i'm playing with when I start messing around with scales and modes tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Nov 7 2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ignite @ Nov 7 2008, 07:02 PM) *
My guitar teacher told about a Guitar Looping pedal that will record a rhythem and play it back over and over again.

My question, before I go spend a few hundred dollars on this thing, do you think it would help me in creating solos for songs, or just making stuff up in general, because it is hard for me to just play scales and modes out of nowhere without hearing the chords, and I usually forget what i'm playing with when I start messing around with scales and modes tongue.gif

I think a looping device could help out quite a bit with the points you mentioned.
This is arguable but it's one of the easiest and cheapest ways to record yourself to.

The Jam man or new digitech multi fx has great loop functions.
There definately are other models/brands available these are the two i know of.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 7 2008, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ignite @ Nov 7 2008, 07:02 PM) *

Hi Ignite,

I would definitely recommend getting a loop pedal. The one I have is from Boss its called "Loop Station"
You can keep adding things to it and its great for practicing, jamming, composing and basically expanding on your creativity and guitar skills.
I don't know what kind of budget are you on but this is worth buying. The one I bought was 300$ at the time. I think you can find it cheaper or maybe order used one ? They will both work fine trust me I tried them out while I was in Boston.

Another thing to consider is (if you want to save 300$) recording and creating your loops in some sort of music software!
You use computer so what you can do is install Nuendo, Cubase or any sort of software that handles AUDIO recording.
Cool thing about these software's is you will sooner or latter need them if you are serious about music, so why not get going with this now ? What you can also do in the software is add VST (virtual instruments that sounds just like live instruments). Guitar players love this because if you don't play drums , bass , keyboards, violin etc - you can assign specific VST to it and it will sound great!

In the longer run I suggest starting and learning Cubase or Nuendo. I use Nuendo and its working awesome for me.
If you want to be cool and carry your loop pedal wherever you go and jam anytime you want, then I definitely recommend getting it ! It takes much less time to record using Loop station then turning on your computer, running software setting the markers tempo vst's etc.

I would personally recommend you to get both and see what works for you. You never know what kind of situation you might find yourself in.

Let me give you my example

When I record video lessons for my students I just put the loop station on , put on a groove and then improvise or demonstrate concepts using it. I do this because video lessons I record are without any brakes (no editing - just like a live tv show etc) so this works the best like that - I can stop or record a new loop any time I want.
I also use loop station for solo live performances its awesome!!!

When I record lessons for GMC its totally opposite ! I have to create a backing track so Nuendo is one of the first things I deal with. Also the editing part for GMC is much more involved then the one for private video lesson students, and audio quality is from computer while the other lessons I record with Camcorder Mic.

Again , experiences are different so this is my story about it:)

Hope this was helpful, don't hesitate to ask any questions!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Nov 7 2008, 06:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 7 2008, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 7 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Hi Ignite,

I would definitely recommend getting a loop pedal. The one I have is from Boss its called "Loop Station"
You can keep adding things to it and its great for practicing, jamming, composing and basically expanding on your creativity and guitar skills.
I don't know what kind of budget are you on but this is worth buying. The one I bought was 300$ at the time. I think you can find it cheaper or maybe order used one ? They will both work fine trust me I tried them out while I was in Boston.

Another thing to consider is (if you want to save 300$) recording and creating your loops in some sort of music software!
You use computer so what you can do is install Nuendo, Cubase or any sort of software that handles AUDIO recording.
Cool thing about these software's is you will sooner or latter need them if you are serious about music, so why not get going with this now ? What you can also do in the software is add VST (virtual instruments that sounds just like live instruments). Guitar players love this because if you don't play drums , bass , keyboards, violin etc - you can assign specific VST to it and it will sound great!

In the longer run I suggest starting and learning Cubase or Nuendo. I use Nuendo and its working awesome for me.
If you want to be cool and carry your loop pedal wherever you go and jam anytime you want, then I definitely recommend getting it ! It takes much less time to record using Loop station then turning on your computer, running software setting the markers tempo vst's etc.

I would personally recommend you to get both and see what works for you. You never know what kind of situation you might find yourself in.

Let me give you my example

When I record video lessons for my students I just put the loop station on , put on a groove and then improvise or demonstrate concepts using it. I do this because video lessons I record are without any brakes (no editing - just like a live tv show etc) so this works the best like that - I can stop or record a new loop any time I want.
I also use loop station for solo live performances its awesome!!!

When I record lessons for GMC its totally opposite ! I have to create a backing track so Nuendo is one of the first things I deal with. Also the editing part for GMC is much more involved then the one for private video lesson students, and audio quality is from computer while the other lessons I record with Camcorder Mic.

Again , experiences are different so this is my story about it:)

Hope this was helpful, don't hesitate to ask any questions!

I could not have explained it better, Pedja.

Ignite, a looping device is a pretty handy equipment for your gear. You don't have to spend hundreds on it to buy a quality model. And it's great to experience with it... wink.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Nov 7 2008, 06:56 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 7 2008, 08:25 PM
Instructor
They are fun to play with, I've used, play a chord progression, loop it and play some lead over it, there is much more that can be done, but this is basically its use.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 7 2008, 08:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Lopper will definitly help you with your practice and especially improvisation..I strongly recommend getting one, boss has a nice loop station.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 7 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
It will definitely help you mate. I bougth Boss DD20, it has loop function of 23 seconds, and althouhg ti is limited, it serves me very well, and I can't imagine my practice sessions without it. I think it improves the sessions a lot.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 8 2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor
Audicity might be solution for you if it's just for practicing/composing and listening,
it's free,you can easily record yourself and listen.
Loop stations are very good for this as well
but I find it most useful for live performance,specially solo acts.
I don't say you shouldn't buy it,
I'm just saying that you can compose and play and save 100$ or som. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
inertia
Nov 8 2008, 02:18 AM
Like Ivan said, if you need a delay pedal you can get one with a looper, there are several models from boss that have a looper and some from other companies. Usually they are a bit limited, but if you don't need a fancy one like the jam man I'd recommend just picking up a delay with a looper.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 8 2008, 03:05 AM
Instructor
What I like about my loop pedal is that I don't have to plug my guitar into computer, turn on the DAW and all that. I can record something right there while I'm playing or practicing, and this is why loop pedal is so practical. I never bother to use the computer while practicing, but it can be done. I think if you have the loop pedal, you don't even use the DAW anymore for looping, only the looper, specially if it is a bit more advanced. If you do find some interesting idea, then it is good to record it in DAW.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 9 2008, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Or you can check this one from Vox co. smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVoH9WkU5k...feature=related

Note_

this is a fully loaded guitar procs,not just a looper..

This post has been edited by Sinisa Cekic: Nov 9 2008, 07:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Nov 10 2008, 12:00 PM
I used to own a BOSS RC-2 Loop station but sold when I got my computer. If you don't have the possibillity to record anything a loop station is great for praticing and song writing. I own a Line 6 Dl4 and a Boss DD-20 and use the loop funcitons on both of them while building ideas and so on. So it's deffo worth a look.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:28 PM