2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sweeping lesson 2, 5 string shapes, Yet a jaw-dropper from Pavel!
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2007, 06:54 PM
GMC Founder
Sweeping lesson 2, 5 string shapes

Hey!

The shred goes on - this time we are evolving from 3-string shapes to 5-string. So if you thought the last one was tricky... blink.gif

Please take time and comment the lesson in the feeback section under the video!

Kris biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 23 2007, 05:33 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 22 2007, 06:54 PM) *
Sweeping lesson 2, 5 string shapes

Hey!

The shred goes on - this time we are evolving from 3-string shapes to 5-string. So if you thought the last one was tricky... blink.gif

Please take time and comment the lesson in the feeback section under the video!

Kris biggrin.gif

This is truly awesome. I still cant play a 3-string shape so 5 string is a 'tad' out of my league. I can't even seem to grasp the basics of this technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 24 2007, 05:59 AM
GMC:er
Yesh Steelkonsum, The sweeping lessons aren't really lessons, It doesn't teach the technique itself, It's more focused on teaching the licks involved.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 24 2007, 06:28 AM
Instructor
Hmmm didn't notice that. Maybe that is the problem...

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 24 2007, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 24 2007, 04:59 AM) *
Yesh Steelkonsum, The sweeping lessons aren't really lessons, It doesn't teach the technique itself, It's more focused on teaching the licks involved.

I agree.

I started to learn it Pavel, it was cool but I just wasn't sure what I was doing lol. A prelude lesson just on right hand technique would make the subsequent ones a lot more valuable.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 24 2007, 10:41 PM
The licks are cool, (Despite a few missed or overmuted notes) but do these lessons actually teach you how to sweep?

I think, Pavel, the lessons are great, but make a Sweeping 101 lesson, which teaches HOW to sweep rather than teaching a lick and the fingering+picking.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 25 2007, 12:39 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Jan 24 2007, 10:08 PM) *
I agree.

I started to learn it Pavel, it was cool but I just wasn't sure what I was doing lol. A prelude lesson just on right hand technique would make the subsequent ones a lot more valuable.

Some good points made here. I hadn't thought of this myself - but the lessons do jump in at a pretty high level - which I think is cool (we're in a masterclass, right?). Still one basic lesson on sweeping just explaing the hand/finger movements slowly, as well as the thought proccess, would be a good idea!

Pavel: A good hint (which I try to think of as often as possible when preparing lessons) - is to try and remember exactly what was hard for you in the beginning. This will most likely be the problems many gmc:ers are struggling with. Just mentioning these would probably be great for struggling beginners - of course, if you remember how you solved these issues - that would be the best. Sometimes I find that the most obvious thing to me, is the perfect thing for my students to hear.

I love the internet biggrin.gif - think how great many instructional dvd:s would have been if they were preceeded by this kind of discussion with the students.

Now here is one thing I don't understand...
(Despite a few missed or overmuted notes)

Can someone explain this and what it adds to the discussion?

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 25 2007, 12:44 AM
Instructor
Ok - i'll make one lesson with slow explanation - i just have to wait for a sunny weather in Croatia because it is raining here and no sunlight to record a proper video! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 25 2007, 01:16 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 24 2007, 11:44 PM) *
Ok - i'll make one lesson with slow explanation - i just have to wait for a sunny weather in Croatia because it is raining here and no sunlight to record a proper video! biggrin.gif

Thanks man, would be appreciated.

(Do you not have lights in Croatia? biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 25 2007, 01:32 AM
Instructor
Trust me - artificial light is something completely different. You must than have 10 lamps lighting from different corners of the room to prevent shadows and stuff like that. smile.gif And bright sunlight solves all the problems!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 25 2007, 01:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 25 2007, 01:56 AM
Kris - I was the first one to point out that the lessons don't really teach how to sweep, yet you quoted someone else who made the same point. Whether you have some kind of a personal grudge against me, I do not know.

On the other hand, I must say that within the sweeps there are some missed notes and overmuted notes. How this contributes to the discussion is that Pavel will hopefully remove those errors which will create an overall better lesson, non?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 25 2007, 02:24 AM
Instructor
Hey even Michael Angelo, Rusty Cooley, Tom Kopyto and other great guitarists have some minor mistakes in their lessons but that doesn't mean you have to kill them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 25 2007, 03:39 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 25 2007, 01:56 AM) *
Kris - I was the first one to point out that the lessons don't really teach how to sweep, yet you quoted someone else who made the same point.

Is it really important who was first and who was quoted?

On the other hand, I must say that within the sweeps there are some missed notes and overmuted notes. How this contributes to the discussion is that Pavel will hopefully remove those errors which will create an overall better lesson, non?

Nah, not really. I rather see Pavel work on the next video instead of wasting time on errors unnoticable to, I guess, the bulk of people. I'm in that bulk by the way.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 25 2007, 03:53 AM
A few words in general. Don't criticize a guitarist, like Yngwie for example, that's probably the fastest way to get on the wrong foot with 50% on the members of a forum. Everyone who made a name for themselvs managed because they have an audience and that audience is there becuase they see or hear something they like.
If you like a guitarplayer or a band, be sure to say so! That's just positive.
If you dislike a guitarplayer or a band, keep it to youself! Nothing is gained with trashtalking, ever. Just stay away from those threads.

Don't criticize the tutors in public, take it up with them or Kris personaly. Otherwise it looks like you're after their position ot just want to show off with your own skills. And criticizing someone who's not around is plain nasty.

That's in general, ok? Based on what's come up here but not aimed at anyone so don't take pun!

Don't worry, be happy! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Norven
Jan 25 2007, 04:06 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 25 2007, 03:39 AM) *
Is it really important who was first and who was quoted?
Nah, not really. I rather see Pavel work on the next video instead of wasting time on errors unnoticable to, I guess, the bulk of people. I'm in that bulk by the way.

I agree with you.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 25 2007, 03:53 AM) *
If you dislike a guitarplayer or a band, keep it to youself! Nothing is gained with trashtalking, ever. Just stay away from those threads.

Don't criticize the tutors in public, take it up with them or Kris personaly. Otherwise it looks like you're after their position ot just want to show off with your own skills. And criticizing someone who's not around is plain nasty.

That's in general, ok? Based on what's come up here but not aimed at anyone so don't take pun!

You have a good point there:)

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 25 2007, 11:49 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 25 2007, 12:44 AM) *

That's great! biggrin.gif I'm interested in learning exactly what to do with my hands when sweeping, because I still have problems with the first sweeping lesson. wacko.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 25 2007, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 25 2007, 03:53 AM) *
A few words in general. Don't criticize a guitarist, like Yngwie for example, that's probably the fastest way to get on the wrong foot with 50% on the members of a forum. Everyone who made a name for themselvs managed because they have an audience and that audience is there becuase they see or hear something they like.

You see, If I don't like a guitarist, I'm going to voice my opinion. I never said I disliked Yngwie directly, I said his music lacked emotion, but he had skill as a guitarist and that's that. I then went on to say I thought Michael Romeo was a better guitarist which is an opinion you may not share with me. If you set differences in opinion as a basis to 'get on the wrong foot' with someone, you are a very shallow person, I must say. Instead of appreciating and analysing my opinion you'd be the person to take the immature step and criticise me for an opinion some people may or may not share with me.

Secondly, I haven't said the mistakes Pavel made completely made the lesson useless. I said it was a great lesson despite a few minor errors. I don't see what 'great sin' I have made here by pointing it out. If he wants to correct them, fine, if he doesn't, it's fine too. But by just pointing them out I've made it open to him where the few mistakes were so he can correct them if he pleases and that's what constructive criticism is all about. More on this in the paragraph below.

I haven't criticised any of the tutors. The name of this very subforum is Guitar Lesson Updates & Feedback/Requests. As you may see, There's the word feedback in that title, which gives me the right to comment on the lesson and what I think is wrong or right with it and that's what I think is wrong. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't say I saw a mistake if I did. It will only help the creator in removing them. Again at this point you are taking the immature point of view and taking constructive criticism as an insult. If I wanted to be a tutor, I very well could be, I choose not to be, so it's not that either. Again, You being morose and childish.

Then you go on to say that's in general. How can all those very direct and blatant accusations be in general? They were almost all in reference to me, so how weren't they aimed at anyone.

Following the same token, None of the above was aimed at anybody, Don't worry, Be happy.

This post has been edited by Why: Jan 25 2007, 03:21 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 25 2007, 03:57 PM
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 25 2007, 03:12 PM) *
Again, You being morose and childish.

Then you go on to say that's in general. How can all those very direct and blatant accusations be in general? They were almost all in reference to me, so how weren't they aimed at anyone.

Following the same token, None of the above was aimed at anybody, Don't worry, Be happy.

A few too many "you" to not be aimed at someone.

I think you have a problem handling conflicts. Being the type that's never wrong, spoiled perhaps? Seen too may of your kind and always there's a fuzz, you should really concider that silence is golden.

*sigh* I don't think you stand for anything positive, don't bother to reply to me, negativity go away, you're ignored.

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 25 2007, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 25 2007, 03:57 PM) *
A few too many "you" to not be aimed at someone.

I think you have a problem handling conflicts. Being the type that's never wrong, spoiled perhaps? Seen too may of your kind and always there's a fuzz, you should really concider that silence is golden.

*sigh* I don't think you stand for anything positive, don't bother to reply to me, negativity go away, you're ignored.

The same with you my friend, You're the one who rambled on and on about things I have said and added a sentence at the end saying it 'wasnt aimed at anybody' to make things seem like they were good and dandy. Also, You're the one running away from the argument. Your accusations were so ludacrious I was wondering how you'd defend your argument. You didn't.

Funny thing is you're telling me I'm negative. You're the one saying mistakes should be ignoring and following the belief of 'If you can't see it, it's not there'. Doesn't seem too positive to me. Anyhow, it seems that logic is wasted on you. Good day.

*Also, It's spelt 'consider'. See how pointing out your mistakes will help you?

This post has been edited by Why: Jan 25 2007, 04:17 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 25 2007, 05:41 PM
GMC Founder
Kris - I was the first one to point out that the lessons don't really teach how to sweep, yet you quoted someone else who made the same point. Whether you have some kind of a personal grudge against me, I do not know.

I do not have a personal grudge against you - on the contrary I believe you are a great guy. You also seem very serious about the guitar, and you have already reached some technical skills. smile.gif

Furthermore you have added to some great debates here which I also think is cool! smile.gif

Still I don't see your point when you say that some playing mistakes need to be corrected in Pavel's lessons - you must have extremely high standards if you honestly think this affects the quality of the lessons.

In fact, taking Pavel's level of playing into consideration - I have a hard time seeing why you would need this site at all if this kind of stuff bothers you.

I have seen instructional videos with famous guitarists I admire a lot - and they made more mistakes than Pavel - still I could not feel this affected the instructional quality at all.

However, on the internet, there is a phenomon which I haven't seen anywhere else - to say negative things about great musicians and guitarists. You still haven't provided any evidence that your statement (which - until you came - we haven't had any of at gmc) isn't just a case of this internet phenomenon.

Please proove me wrong,
Kristofer

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:59 AM