My 360..., Whats wrong with it?
FretDancer69
Nov 8 2007, 06:14 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, its been a long time since i play with my 360 because its acting very weird and wont work properly.

Everytime i turn it on, Red lights appear around the "Power" button, red lights instead of Green lights (which indicate how many controlers are currently used).

Why is this? is there any way i can fix

has someone had this issue before?

please help.

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Nov 8 2007, 06:15 AM
hey man

i had this same problem with my old 360. when that happens it means the hard drive broke. so u need a new hard drive or 360.

its disapointing sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 8 2007, 06:17 AM
You poor thing, you're going to be so pissed off in a moment. Another lost to the Red Lights of Doom.... sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
PolackHax0r
Nov 8 2007, 06:30 AM
Another name for this is the Red Ring of Death.

I've heard that when this happens it's b/c your xbox boards inside bends due to heat and can break the solder points. I guess it could be a number of things. Either way, it sucks. Hope your warranty is still active...

-Justin

+Quote Post
Joey
Nov 8 2007, 06:44 AM
its not an error with the hard drive. dont buy a new hard drive it wont fix it. it happens in ~1/3 of 360s made pre launch. in the rush to get enough made for the launch date there was some sloppiness in the quality of the soldering on the boards, then due to the heat from operation ( over 100 degrees in many parts of the inside ) the solders melted, bent, or weakened. but recently microsoft extended warranties by 3 years so that if you have "the red lights of death" you can claim a refurbed system. you contact microsoft and pay 30 dollars for shipping both ways, they send you a box and you send them your 360, then like 6 weeks later you get a refurbed one.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 8 2007, 06:49 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 8 2007, 06:14 AM) *
Hey guys, its been a long time since i play with my 360 because its acting very weird and wont work properly.

Everytime i turn it on, Red lights appear around the "Power" button, red lights instead of Green lights (which indicate how many controlers are currently used).

Why is this? is there any way i can fix

has someone had this issue before?

please help.

thanks

Yeah, mine had that. I got a ring of red lights and it froze completely. Before that I had random screen freez for a couple of days, then it was dead.

This is what you do, call MS 360 support in your country and tell them of your problem. They will mend your 360 at no charge if it's the standard issue with it, and chances are that it is.

UPS picked mine up and MS sent me a brand new 360 to my door step, I had it 2 weeks later.

EDIT: Honduras eh... maybe call USA directly if you don't have a national support. I couldn't find one.
US Support
International (direct dial to U.S.): 425-635-7180

This post has been edited by MickeM: Nov 8 2007, 06:58 AM

+Quote Post
Joey
Nov 8 2007, 06:51 AM
also if its not under warranty for any reason, for some reason wrapping it up in a towel or a bunch of blankets, running it til it gets hot as hell and then letting it cools off makes it work again for a few days every time you do it. it is called, 'the towel trick' lol. seriously im not kidding it does work.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 8 2007, 06:53 AM
Yeah, the ring of death SUCKS!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 8 2007, 07:01 AM
QUOTE (Joey @ Nov 8 2007, 06:51 AM) *
also if its not under warranty for any reason, for some reason wrapping it up in a towel or a bunch of blankets, running it til it gets hot as hell and then letting it cools off makes it work again for a few days every time you do it. it is called, 'the towel trick' lol. seriously im not kidding it does work.

Is that neccessary since they will keep mending machines that gets this "ring of death", so the warranty was prolonged. My machine was bought when it was released, made in 2005. The one I got back early september was made august 2007.

But by all means, wrap yours in towels if you like wink.gif

+Quote Post
Joey
Nov 8 2007, 07:05 AM
ehh ive never had the problem myself my friends did that. the thing about the warranty said that its extended 3 years as in if you have 1 that is from 2005 and it gets red lights in 2009 youre screwed. but refurbed ones say from 2007 have a 1 year warranty nothing more

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 8 2007, 09:52 AM
thanks for the answer guys, i was told too that it was because of heat. But the problem is, i live in Honduras, can i still send my xbox and get a new one? Sorry i really dont know much about these shipping things. The xbox was bought around hmm.... around may i think, im really not sure, but it must be around there.

So, how can i contact microsoft?

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
AliMo
Nov 8 2007, 10:24 AM
call up 1-800-4-MYXBOX
BTW I've had this red ring happen to me 3 times b4 I finally got a working one so I'm a pro at this process now. : )

First of all I don't think your location should matter, it'll just make the process much longer. What happened with me each time was they sent me a box to ship it in, this way you don't have to pay shipping. You just take it to a ups drop off or something and just wait for it to come back. It gets sent to the repair center in Texas, I'm in NY and it took about 9 days, but I have no idea how long it'll take for you. Basically your gonna have to give them your information and stuff and they should take care of the rest, don't waste your money on shipping if they try to screw you over, it should be taken care of. Good luck with it!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 8 2007, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 8 2007, 09:52 AM) *
So, how can i contact microsoft?

Read my previous post

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:20 AM