Membership Pricing
Hardtail
Jan 7 2011, 04:45 AM
GMC:er
I know I've been gone a long time but i was considering re-subbing to get back into the excellent content on this site. But I noticed it's now 29$ a month! Wasn't it like 9.99$Us per month back when I was a member? It's too bad, since I can't afford 29$ but I could prob do 10$ or 15$.

Anyway, my question is whether I was remembering that correctly or not. TYIA

sad.gif

Hardtail

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 7 2011, 06:10 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
You remembered it quite well. Sadly, it has been raised like 200% +. There is nothing we can do.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Nielzsz
Jan 7 2011, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, you can make it cheaper by supping for a full year. I forgot how much it is then, but you can check it right away wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 8 2011, 12:36 AM
Learning Roadie
It's probably cuz of all the awesomeness they've added to the site. And we have more instructors. That stuff costs. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2011, 04:36 AM
It has gone up, but I've got to say I don't think any other site I've found has this level of depth on the instructor staff, lesson content, or forum breadth. This place is just hard to beat. When I was teaching individual lessons, I'd charge 35-65 per hour depending on content and travel so even at 30 per month it's still a bargain. Thats' one dollar a day.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 8 2011, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2011, 03:36 AM) *
It has gone up, but I've got to say I don't think any other site I've found has this level of depth on the instructor staff, lesson content, or forum breadth. This place is just hard to beat. When I was teaching individual lessons, I'd charge 35-65 per hour depending on content and travel so even at 30 per month it's still a bargain. Thats' one dollar a day.

indeed i pay for example 30 euros for private lesson with my teach so i think 29 isn't that bad IF!! you know how to use the site.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 8 2011, 06:35 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 7 2011, 05:36 PM) *
It's probably cuz of all the awesomeness they've added to the site. And we have more instructors. That stuff costs. wink.gif

You have not been around that long. Anyone who has been around knows that the quality did not go up with the price rise. I think few with a membership number lower than say 6,000 would disagree with me

What they did was drastically bump up prices for new members, existing members kept the low rates so long as they did not let their membership ever expire. I don't know if that is still going on, or if they have lost that price break.

At the time I felt it would have been a better business decision to increase prices for everyone, but more moderately. Kris might agree now on this, I don't know. If so, I have an idea of how members could be brought back. I would just apply the current rate to new members. But after a period of paying at the current rates, say a year, maybe two, the rate goes down. And this would be retroactive, i.e. those who have had a membership in the past for at least the required duration (broken or otherwise) would qualify for the rate. I think a lot of people would return in that case.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 8 2011, 06:47 AM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jan 9 2011, 08:02 PM
Well, it's a shame really... GMC is such an awesome site but with the economy the way it is I just can't swing a $29/month commitment. sad.gif

If you are someone considering joining and can even remotely afford the $29/month... I'd do it.

Kris et al: I would HIGHLY recommend changing the entire site over to a Pay-as-you-go system. Example:

You join and pay a 1 time $30 fee. Now you have an account with $30 worth of credits in it. Then, say each lesson costs 5 credits. You can "unlock" lessons by "buying" them with your credits. That would be 6 lessons to start for example. You can always buy more credits to "unlock" more lessons at your leisure. Three MAJOR benefits come out of this business model:

1. People can go at their own pace. People who learn slowly or only have a limited amount of time/cash can join the site and benefit from it. GMC captures dollars it would otherwise never see because these people aren't likely to even join in the first place with the current system.

2. People who learn quickly and want to learn tons of content will end up paying more... and they won't be bothered by it when they consider the amount of lessons they are getting for each dollar spent. (5$ gets you one lesson which is worth AT LEAST $30 of in-person training).

3. With "lesson reviews" by people who have already unlocked a lesson and the ability to track which teachers attract the most dollars it will allow GMC to have a better system to determine how much each teacher should be getting and increase the overall quality of the teachers and lessons on the site.

There have been many examples of this system working in one way or another. Two blatant examples:

Game - Magic the Gathering Online: This game employs a system by which you buy content and use that content to play the game. New content is constantly released meaning $$$ are constantly being spent. When I used to play this game I spent on average $80 / month and I was on the low end of subscriber spending.

Game - Dungeons and Dragons Online: Recently, this game has gone to a FREE play method with a minimal amount of content available to play for free. To access other dungeons and quests you must buy the content. This has been a HUGE cash-cow for Turbine (the game maker) and has taken a game that was on its last leg to one of the most profitable MMO's on the internet. The ONLY story in MMO history of its kind.

Anyway... just some food for thought for the higher-ups. With this kind of system I could unlock lessons as the cash becomes available and really tailor my account to my liking... thus bringing people like me to GMC and increasing overall GMC profits.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Jitty
Jan 9 2011, 09:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jan 9 2011, 07:02 PM) *
Well, it's a shame really... GMC is such an awesome site but with the economy the way it is I just can't swing a $29/month commitment. sad.gif

If you are someone considering joining and can even remotely afford the $29/month... I'd do it.

Kris et al: I would HIGHLY recommend changing the entire site over to a Pay-as-you-go system. Example:

You join and pay a 1 time $30 fee. Now you have an account with $30 worth of credits in it. Then, say each lesson costs 5 credits. You can "unlock" lessons by "buying" them with your credits. That would be 6 lessons to start for example. You can always buy more credits to "unlock" more lessons at your leisure. Three MAJOR benefits come out of this business model:

1. People can go at their own pace. People who learn slowly or only have a limited amount of time/cash can join the site and benefit from it. GMC captures dollars it would otherwise never see because these people aren't likely to even join in the first place with the current system.

2. People who learn quickly and want to learn tons of content will end up paying more... and they won't be bothered by it when they consider the amount of lessons they are getting for each dollar spent. (5$ gets you one lesson which is worth AT LEAST $30 of in-person training).

3. With "lesson reviews" by people who have already unlocked a lesson and the ability to track which teachers attract the most dollars it will allow GMC to have a better system to determine how much each teacher should be getting and increase the overall quality of the teachers and lessons on the site.

There have been many examples of this system working in one way or another. Two blatant examples:

Game - Magic the Gathering Online: This game employs a system by which you buy content and use that content to play the game. New content is constantly released meaning $$$ are constantly being spent. When I used to play this game I spent on average $80 / month and I was on the low end of subscriber spending.

Game - Dungeons and Dragons Online: Recently, this game has gone to a FREE play method with a minimal amount of content available to play for free. To access other dungeons and quests you must buy the content. This has been a HUGE cash-cow for Turbine (the game maker) and has taken a game that was on its last leg to one of the most profitable MMO's on the internet. The ONLY story in MMO history of its kind.

Anyway... just some food for thought for the higher-ups. With this kind of system I could unlock lessons as the cash becomes available and really tailor my account to my liking... thus bringing people like me to GMC and increasing overall GMC profits.

Hardtail

This is a good suggestion, but I don't agree with it. My favorite part of this site is that I can browse hundreds of lessons and steal one or two licks from the ones I like... I don't have to force myself to learn a whole lesson if I don't want to. If I had to pay for each lesson that option would be gone, and it would suck to have to pay $5 for an entire lesson when all I wanted was one lick from it.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2011, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Back when I was starting to play guitar all I had is couple of old 70ties books for guitar, no one to show me how to play, and no money. That didn't stop me. When Internet came about (remember dial up connections?), I was amazed because I could download tabs at amazing speed of 33.6kbps. Private teaching was expensive, it was around 15-20e in today's prices for an hour and a half class.

I understand that now it is different time, we have bunch of free material available, video schools, competitive websites etc.. BUT, my point is that if you really want to study guitar, you can do it for FREE. There is no need to pay. GMC is advanced knowledge transfer online service and good community, it requires subscription to run, and more importantly it requires subscription to grow further.

Prices will always inflate because of general money inflation, prices always rise. If you look what material you have today and what you had when GMC was starting you can clearly see why site costs 200% more. 29/month is not even expensive in Serbia, country with an average pay of 500$, not to mention countries where average pay is more than 1000$.

This is how GMC looked when the price was 9.99/m
http://web.archive.org/web/20060702030658/...asterclass.net/

and this is how it looks now with 29.99/m
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:18 PM