2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Beginner Bushido Task 3
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 08:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Feb 16 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Here's my take. Had to do it at 90 bpm...anything faster and it got ugly!

Haha, I love that phrase.. made me laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well, this looks and sounds totally fine with me.. your actual synchronisation between your picking hand and fretting hand is totally cool. If anything, it's just your timing with the click that is slightly off.. believe it or not, you were slightly ahead.

All the guys who are involved in Bushido will probably notice that I've written this a lot, about people being slightly in front. (in every group too) It's a very natural and common thing that happens when you're concentrating hard on something. It can be totally against our instinct to ease off and try to relax but doing so will make you sit in with the metronome or beat a lot better. You'll get the opportunity to try it out again with the next Task smile.gif

Good work everyone, you've done yourselves really proud on this week !! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MossRoller
Mar 13 2012, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
Good Morning Bensei,
Here is my take at 110 bpm.

For this task i started using a regular Dunlop .96mm pick (last task was a .76mm) and trying to grip it closer to the tip.
It does feel like it gives better control.

I noticed when I get my wrist and grip in a comfortable position, the pick is rotated such that the tip somewhat glides over the string
and the sound loses attack. I assume that's why in the forum most people mention using more pointed tips.
(or should I try to keep the tip more parallel with the string?).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 13 2012, 06:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Mar 13 2012, 05:26 PM) *
Good Morning Bensei,
Here is my take at 110 bpm.

For this task i started using a regular Dunlop .96mm pick (last task was a .76mm) and trying to grip it closer to the tip.
It does feel like it gives better control.

I noticed when I get my wrist and grip in a comfortable position, the pick is rotated such that the tip somewhat glides over the string
and the sound loses attack. I assume that's why in the forum most people mention using more pointed tips.
(or should I try to keep the tip more parallel with the string?).

Really great !! Super relaxed picking.. the first shape started off shaky but the whole thing improved from there. It can take a couple of reps to get the groove sometimes wink.gif

Yes, you've noticed that angling the pick end gives slightly less attack, you're correct. With a sharp ended pick it's ok and it sounds a bit brighter but still enough attack. However, if you're using a conventional slightly rounded edge it's very hard to get the volume and your pick just sort of slides over the string. I tried it the other day with one of my normal picks that had not been sharpened yet and it was horrible !!

You could keep it parallel but it will require more effort to pick. Some people can do it ok and sustain a great picking technique doing it, but a vast majority of pickers keep an angle.

You have a couple of options.. you can manually sharpen the tip to a point but it may be more difficult to do with a lighter pick. I'm also not sure how easy it is to do with different pick material like plastic. It works on Tortex fine..

You could browse and find a pick shape that has enough width like a regular pick but also has a pointy tip. If you go on the Dunlop website, the Jazz III might be a good bet. (You'd have to select the thickest one to get the pointiest tip) Loads of people swear by it.. I haven't yet sampled it but it's next on my shopping list. You might not want the thickness of the Jazz III but if you use that shape as a guide you can find other picks on there that might be worth a shot. I thought the Dunlop Tortext Sharp picks were the answer to my prayers but they are much narrower so it's difficult to grip near the tip.

Thanks for the take and putting the work in ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Mar 13 2012, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 22 2012, 09:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Good evening !

Ben here a noter Task !

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 22 2012, 09:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 22 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Good evening !

Ben here a noter Task !

Dieter

Guten Abend, Dieter ! Thanks for your take and I love the video ! smile.gif

I can hear you going out of time with the metronome on this one. I know it's boring thing to say but I think that slowing down the click should help you settle into a tempo where you can stay with the metronome smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 23 2012, 08:57 PM
Good evening Ben !

Here i just concentrated on my left leg huh.gif

when its out of timing i think i go to doctor on monday for a therapy smile.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 23 2012, 09:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 23 2012, 07:57 PM) *
Good evening Ben !

Here i just concentrated on my left leg huh.gif

when its out of timing i think i go to doctor on monday for a therapy smile.gif

Dieter

Abend, Dieter ! Ok, you're still going out of time here.. what happens is that you start getting behind and after a while, you've lost your place in the beat. You do ok on the first 2 or 3 reps and then it goes out of time.

I think that it's probably because you have to concentrate a lot on your left hand because you're playing things that are new to you so, until your fingers are 100% confident with these new shapes, I would just take the speed down a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 23 2012, 09:23 PM
mad.gif OK Ben !

I know you are right ! smile.gif

next record will be 80 bpm but tomorrow - now i try out a login to Gabriels british metal collab .

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 23 2012, 10:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 23 2012, 08:23 PM) *
now i try out a login to Gabriels british metal collab .

Dieter

That sounds like a great idea !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 25 2012, 07:21 PM
Hey Ben , here with 90 bpm !

I exercise with 80 bpm .

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2012, 08:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 25 2012, 06:21 PM) *
Hey Ben , here with 90 bpm !

I exercise with 80 bpm .

Dieter

Dieter that is SO much better, well done ! smile.gif

Ok, now that you've got the timing sorted, let's look at your left hand. Try and see if you can encourage your hand to stay generally in one place whilst he fingers do all the stretching. At the moment, your hand moves along with your fingers. Of course this is because it makes it easier to hit the notes, I understand. But to encourage the fingers to stretch more let's try to make the fingers work a bit harder to fret the notes without moving the hand left and right.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 25 2012, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 25 2012, 08:04 PM) *
Dieter that is SO much better, well done ! smile.gif

Ok, now that you've got the timing sorted, let's look at your left hand. Try and see if you can encourage your hand to stay generally in one place whilst he fingers do all the stretching. At the moment, your hand moves along with your fingers. Of course this is because it makes it easier to hit the notes, I understand. But to encourage the fingers to stretch more let's try to make the fingers work a bit harder to fret the notes without moving the hand left and right.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough ? smile.gif

Thank you Ben !

Yes you did explain me well and i understand that i have to go too on more stretching exercises with my fingers !

tongue.gif i got really small hands and short fingers but i try to stretch them a bit now biggrin.gif

Dieter

This post has been edited by Dieterle: Nov 25 2012, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
alexpabue
Dec 8 2012, 09:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ben!

That's my third bushido task laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 9 2012, 10:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (alexpabue @ Dec 8 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Hi Ben!

That's my third bushido task laugh.gif

Brilliant ! You're making really good progress, Alex. Just watch out for moments like 0:18 where you hear the synch go slightly out. Usually it's the movement from little finger to 3rd finger that does it smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:51 AM