Oxac's October Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments here
Pedja Simovic
Oct 12 2009, 04:14 PM
Instructor
Ok Olle, here we go with new MTP rules. You will be required to submit 3 assignments in October, all on weekly basis.

1st assignment is due on 17th of October.

I want you to do the following for your 1st assignment :

Pick a mode from the ones listed below. Create a backing track (drums bass and chord accompaniment). Solo 3 choruses using chord tones in 1st chorus, tensions in 2nd chorus and outside approaches in 3rd chorus.

1) Lydian
2) Mixolydian
3) Aeolian
4) Phrygian
5) Ionian

Pick a root of your choice!

Feel free to ask me any questions Olle.

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 12 2009, 08:13 PM
GMC:er
Great.

I have made a backing that I am fairly happy with.

| Cmaj | Cmaj | D | D |
|C maj | A min | F#m7-5 | Bm7|
| Em7 Am7| D G | Cmaj | Cmaj |

I have no problems in figuring out what notes to play in Take 1 and 2 (Chord notes & Tensions)

Cmaj;

Chord notes: C E G ( B)
Tensions: ( B) , (D), F#, A

D:

Chord notes: D F# A ©
Tensions: © E B

I Excluded G because I think it should very bad. It's a note I would consider a passing note over a D major type of chord.

Amin:

Chord notes: A C E (G)
Tensions: B D F#

F#m7-5;

Chord notes: F# A C E
Tensions: G B D

Bm7:

Chord Notes: B D F# A
Tensions: C E G

Em7

Chord Notes: E G B D
Tensions: F# A C

Gmaj:

Chord notes: G B D (F#)
Tensions: (F#) A C E

But when I solo I black out. When playing chord notes only I do it fine over the C, have a nice transition to D, back to C, A, F#m7-5 ok... then I kinda black out and start playing "nonsense", patterns I practised and I seem to forget what notes I'm "allowed" to use and where they are.

Tensions is completely off, it sounds like a childlike attempt.

Out is a later matter I think.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Oxac: Oct 12 2009, 08:13 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 13 2009, 06:25 PM
Instructor
I like the way you did lay out for soloing options. I would like you to use G carefully over D chord as it is natural 11th or sus4 vs major 3rd in a major chord (F# and G). This b9 interval creates that unwanted tension and should be used as special effect in soloing.
I would like you to record the takes and lets check out how it sounds. Deadline is 17th, you got couple of days ahead of you, lets hear a first draft so to speak wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 17 2009, 01:35 PM
GMC:er
Pedja I'm sorry but I cannot record guitar anymore. I installed Snow Leopard (the new OS from Apple) and it won't accept the guitarport device I'm using. I hope they can develop some new drivers so it will work >.<. In the meantime I will have to resign.

I will continue to practise arpeggios & cadences anyway. You have given me so much information Pedja, that I combined with things I get elsewhere have enough to practise for years ahead.

Alas.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 17 2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Olle I will keep posting your assignments here until the end of the month. If you do them all before 1st of November you will be able to continue studying with me next month as well.
Let me know how whole situation is developing.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 21 2009, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Olle we are moving onto 2nd assignment for this month.

2nd assignment is due on 26th of October!

- Create a backing track for Mixolydian mode. Root, tempo and style of your choice!
- Solo using chord tones, tensions and outside approaches!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 22 2009, 10:45 PM
Instructor
Olle, how are assignments coming along?
Let me know if I can help in any way!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 30 2009, 08:28 AM
Instructor
Olle we are moving to your 3rd assignment for this month. We will focus on triads this time !

3rd assignment is due on 4th of November.

- Record a full lesson of mine Triads in a major scale part 1.

Here is a link for the lesson HERE

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 3 2009, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Olle how is 3rd assignment going? Let me know if you need any help! We shall move onto assignments for November very soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 5 2009, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Olle could you please complete your assignments so that I could lock this thread and open a new one for you in November?
Let me know if you need any help.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:46 PM