Is The Pod Farm A Benefit...if You Already Have A Toneport?
Praetorian
Feb 14 2009, 04:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I play with a Toneport GX...does the POD Farm do anything different than the Toneport?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
bladzerok
Feb 14 2009, 04:49 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
i was actually asking myself the same question yesterday since i have one too. but i think its just a way to make it more easy to use...im not sure but its what i think. huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
kahall
Feb 14 2009, 05:00 AM
Learning Roadie
I read that it makes interfacing with some other software (can't remember which) that I don't have, so I don't ever use it. I was able to download it from Line6, no charge, which I am not sure I was supposed to be able to do and it works fine with my Guitarport. I just don't see any benefit from it and I know what all the knobs do on Gearbox so if someone finds anything really neato with Pod Farm be sure and call me.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 14 2009, 05:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
POD farm is the new software that is going to replace Gearbox. Your GX came with Gearbox which is what you are using to configure your tone.

POD Farm is a very good upgrade because you can have more control over how you shape your sound. With Gearbox you pick 1 amp, cabnet, effects, etc and that is it. With POD Farm you can mix up to 2 different amps with different cabnets, effects and adjust the volume levels and Stereo panning seperate while recording with them both on at the same time. It is a very cool feature to be able to combine to completely different amp to get one really cool sound.

You should give it a try.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 14 2009, 11:46 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 14 2009, 05:01 AM) *
POD farm is the new software that is going to replace Gearbox. Your GX came with Gearbox which is what you are using to configure your tone.

POD Farm is a very good upgrade because you can have more control over how you shape your sound. With Gearbox you pick 1 amp, cabnet, effects, etc and that is it. With POD Farm you can mix up to 2 different amps with different cabnets, effects and adjust the volume levels and Stereo panning seperate while recording with them both on at the same time. It is a very cool feature to be able to combine to completely different amp to get one really cool sound.

I agree, and if I'm not mistaken, it's free!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 14 2009, 02:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
ITs a free download and you can use it with your toneport!! Give it a try and see how you like the interface and added possibilities UncleSkillet mentioned.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Joruus
Feb 14 2009, 06:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Its called PodFarm but doesnt work with my PodXT sad.gif sad.gif

When i start it i can only select all kinds of TonePorts as hardware but it doesn't detect my PodXt
Anyone know if this is gonne change in the future?
Or am i doing something wrong?

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 14 2009, 07:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Podfarm and Gearbox are different animals.

Gearbox is the way to go using pods, it keeps all the proccessing in the pod, freeing PC CPU to do other things, plus it works great.

Podfarm can work as standalone or plug-in. As a standalone app it's free, works with toneports but not with POD X3 (it uses Gearbox), and makes all the proccesing take place in the computer. It looks nice with 3D models of amps/stomp boxes etc.
As a plug-in, it works with either toneports/pods, you have to pay or get it free with X3, and what it does is post-proccess a dry signal and add any modelling you wish to it as a DAW plug-in. So it works in a completely different way than Gearbox, more like the Gearbox plug-in used to work.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kahall
Feb 15 2009, 06:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 13 2009, 10:01 PM) *

I have been looking into it thoroughly this evening. I have not figured the Stereo panning separation yet, but I will. It does have some benefits, I just don't like change and I have a hard enough time trying to just play the guitar. ;-)

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 15 2009, 06:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I understand!

Playing the guitar is one thing. But also playing it with the best tone or sound you can record with makes a huge difference.

Each amp has a pan and master volume setting. Lets say you want a clean crunch mixed with a dirty lead to give it some punch. Mix a Fender Black Face with a Marshall Plexy (100 watt jumped) Lead Head. Pan the clean one with effects left and the other one dirty right. Adjust the volume leaves separate for each side and you have a great tone as well as a big stereo effect!

There are a lot of possibilities.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 15 2009, 07:48 PM
Instructor
Gearbox and POD Farm are basically the same thing. If you use Toneport it doesn't really matter what program you use - they have the same engine and same sounds.
POD Farm I think was made by Line 6 as an answer to other brand products like Amplitube and Guitar Rig that have a bit better use interface. Personally I think POD Farm is not that good because:

1. It doesn't bring a better sound
2. User interface is nice looking but clumsy
3. Version still has a lot of bugs since it's only 1.0.3
4. Doesn't have a metronome or audio player installed
5. 2 channel interface (ux1, ux2) are very clumsy, it's difficult to load presets

IMO gearbox is the thing to use for now. You can try POD Farm if you have Toneport/POD Studio, because it is free, but it is a new software that is still suffering from bugs, and it is not yet brought to a level that Gearbox has. Both softwares are compatible, and I think Line 6 plans to transfer to POD Farm completely by ruling out the Gearbox, but it will not happen in some time, not until POD Farm is developed properly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:21 PM