Sweeping- im a little lost
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 26 2007, 10:29 PM
GMC:er
Well ive just been starting to take up sweeping and well. IHATEIT. Every time i cant play it as fast and as perfect as Pavel i feel like throwing my guitar out into the white fluffy snow and go in the other room and watch tv like a little baby. Ive watched the basics of sweeping and feel i have that down but i just feel like its impossible ( Nothing is impossible but it makes people like me feel better when i say it.) Any tips on Sweeping and improving my speed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
leedbreak
Feb 26 2007, 10:59 PM
I feel the same way about most of the lessons on this site but,

The way I am working on the sweeping and the other lessons, is I play it over and over and over at a certain easy BPM. After about 5 minutes I up it only one BPM and play that for 5 more minutes. I do not allow my self to go up more than 1 BPM at a time. The metronome source I am using allows an increase of only one at a time. I find if I go up more than 5 at a time I see I get sloppy. So I know I am not ready for an increase of 5.

After several days of this I am going up, it is slow but I am going up. The way I see it I want to go up only 5 BPM a week and at that rate I will play these lessons, I am determined to do so.

The sweeping is starting at a lower BPM than the other lessons but I am approaching each lesson in the same manner. And in a nut shell, I now see that it will take many, many hours of practice (which we all knew this anyway) to get it, but I will.

But here is the cool part. When I turn off the metronome and try to play it fast I am getting clearner. So I turn it back on and take off where I left with some extra motivation that it will work and I will play this way.

Good Luck

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Feb 26 2007, 11:14 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 26 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Feb 26 2007, 01:59 PM) *
I feel the same way about most of the lessons on this site but,

The way I am working on the sweeping and the other lessons, is I play it over and over and over at a certain easy BPM. After about 5 minutes I up it only one BPM and play that for 5 more minutes. I do not allow my self to go up more than 1 BPM at a time. The metronome source I am using allows an increase of only one at a time. I find if I go up more than 5 at a time I see I get sloppy. So I know I am not ready for an increase of 5.

After several days of this I am going up, it is slow but I am going up. The way I see it I want to go up only 5 BPM a week and at that rate I will play these lessons, I am determined to do so.

The sweeping is starting at a lower BPM than the other lessons but I am approving each lesson in the same manner. And in a nut shell, I now see that it will take many, many hours of practice (which we all knew this anyway) to get it, but I will.

But here is the cool part. When I turn off the metronome and try to play it fast I am getting clearner. So I turn it back on and take off where I left with some extra motivation that it will work and I will play this way.

Good Luck

Yeah ill try that. I need a new metronome. Lost my other one some how . How much did you pay for yours ?

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Feb 26 2007, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 26 2007, 04:05 PM) *
Yeah ill try that. I need a new metronome. Lost my other one some how . How much did you pay for yours ?

I am using my computer to create the beat, using PC Drummer

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 26 2007, 11:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Feb 26 2007, 05:11 PM) *
I am using my computer to create the beat, using PC Drummer

Yeah, sweeping really sucks ! I find I am making rapid progress with alternate picking, I've sped up 50% in 3 weeks, but sweep picking just stubbornly stays the same. I constantly feel like I am on the edge of a breakthrough but never quite seem to make it. I think its just that sweep picking is 10 times harder than anything else so it will take 10 times as long to get the hang of it ... back to the slavery of the metronome I go, I know its the only way sad.gif

BTW, you can get a number of neat metronome programs for free or cheap to run on your PC, I use Crystal Metronome, it lets me save beats for different exercises as preferences so you don't have to keep fiddling with the BPM and patterns etc.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 27 2007, 12:08 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 26 2007, 05:05 PM) *

metronome.com

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 27 2007, 03:31 AM
thank you all

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 27 2007, 10:45 AM
At first when you start sweeping, its so fu**ing annyoing!! believe me I feel the same as you! but then I practiced 1 whole day, from I woke up till night, only on the 3 string shapes and now I play it 100 bpm pretty clean aswell. I still cant move around much with the 5 string shapes, but just have to practice more laugh.gif
practice, practice, practice and practice, thats the only way laugh.gif
good luck smile.gif

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 26 2007, 11:05 PM) *

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/metronome.php

alot of other great stuff on that site too smile.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 27 2007, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 27 2007, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 27 2007, 01:45 AM) *
At first when you start sweeping, its so fu**ing annyoing!! believe me I feel the same as you! but then I practiced 1 whole day, from I woke up till night, only on the 3 string shapes and now I play it 100 bpm pretty clean aswell. I still cant move around much with the 5 string shapes, but just have to practice more laugh.gif
practice, practice, practice and practice, thats the only way laugh.gif
good luck smile.gif
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/metronome.php

alot of other great stuff on that site too smile.gif

THANKS ROBIN ! Ive been on that site at different points to look at some chords and stuff but never relized that they had a metronome.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:02 PM