Right hand positioning
Zee Deveel
Jan 29 2007, 05:15 AM
GMC:er
When playing licks that go across a lot of the strings (and possibly back up) e.g. main lick from Canon Rock, how do you change the position of your fingers to pick each string?

By moving the wrist vertically, parallel to the bridge.

By keeping your wrist in the same position and changing the angle of your wrist/hand.

Hope that makes sense to someone.

Oh and another question:

While finger picking, should I use my thumb or my index finger to pick the D string? At the moment I'm assigning my index, middle, ring to G b e and letting my thumb cover E A D.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 29 2007, 08:56 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 30 2007, 03:31 PM
GMC Founder
I don't know about that specific song - but this usually differs from guitarist to guitarist. One of my favorite pickers, Steve Morse, moves the hand parallely to the brige (like you said).

...while Yngwie seems to have his hand in one position (or almost) - thus he must change angle.

So no definite right or wrong here - pick one that works for you. Speedpicking lesson 1 speaks about this.

Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 30 2007, 10:15 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 30 2007, 02:31 PM) *
I don't know about that specific song - but this usually differs from guitarist to guitarist. One of my favorite pickers, Steve Morse, moves the hand parallely to the brige (like you said).

...while Yngwie seems to have his hand in one position (or almost) - thus he must change angle.

So no definite right or wrong here - pick one that works for you. Speedpicking lesson 1 speaks about this.

Kris

Watched the lesson again and it's raised another question. How important is the accenting?

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 30 2007, 11:15 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Jan 30 2007, 10:15 PM) *
Watched the lesson again and it's raised another question. How important is the accenting?

It is important and good way to achieve speedpicking control a little faster!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:04 PM