3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Vinnie Moore Style Solo Question
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2008, 12:59 AM
Instructor
You have to pick stronger. No light picking in this music mate smile.gif Just dig down as agressive as possible and that will give you confidence smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 5 2008, 01:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Dec 4 2008, 11:59 PM) *
You have to pick stronger. No light picking in this music mate smile.gif Just dig down as agressive as possible and that will give you confidence smile.gif

Ah! Then that was the perfect timing to find out that, as I've just been grinding away at trying to get it up to speed. I recorded a SHOCKING audio take, purely for me to work against each day - to show that I am actually making progress.

Aggressive picking it is then. Although I find that much harder, but it makes much more sense in feeling the note rhythm.

Thanks! smile.gif

EDIT: Picking from the wrist only is the correct way isn't it? Try not to get the forearm and sholder creating the movement?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 5 2008, 01:46 AM

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2008, 03:54 AM
Instructor
Pick from any angle that makes you feel comfortable but your hand should always be relaxed, or at least look realaxed smile.gif See mine and you'll get the point. I mix movement from wrist and elbow, what's the bloody word smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 8 2008, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm making progress! Very slowly, and much finger aching but with much more feel with playing a bit harder.

This really is a speed barrier for me, its totally into the world of the unknown at 90bpm, which is still quite slow in relation to 120bpm.

I feel (hope!) that it's a barrier that sort of just clicks after some dedicated progression and time, but at the moment it's slow progress.

I'm relentlessly practising the full piece at 90bpm, making many mistakes with each take. Would it be more efficent practise to learn each individual part at 90bpm first, making sure they're accurate and then attempting the full piece along with backing?

Or is it fine to just carry on playing the whole piece, and just slowly improving the mistakes.

This is quite the task I've set myself Emir smile.gif

EDIT: I exagerate a little bit it seems when I re-read this, by relentlessly I mean: Playing the piece all the way through maybe 20 times a day, in one session. No practise over the weekend either as the girlfriend was eating up all my time smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 8 2008, 07:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 02:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
Here's todays 90bpm take - I'm having so much fun with this lesson!

Attached File  vinniemoore90_mixdown.mp3 ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 267

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 9 2008, 11:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 8 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Would it be more efficent practise to learn each individual part at 90bpm first, making sure they're accurate and then attempting the full piece along with backing?

Yes, this is exactly how you should practice.

This last 90 bpm take is very good. Again timing problems but that's ok as long as you are aware of that. The whole thing is getting together and you have made a great progress. I am expecting to hear this take 50% better in a week. Once you get this tempo right 120 will be a piece of cake smile.gif

Be careful with the little bends in some phrases. They don't need to be exact half step, it should be almost like you're bending it uncounciously (just a slight touch).

Well done

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 17 2008, 04:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
I think I'm getting there with the 90bpm take smile.gif

Slow progress, but as I expected when getting up to this kinda speed. It's a barrier I feel i'm slowly chipping away at and making some sound progress, especially at least when it comes to thinking "this is easier than before". (Emphasis on BEFORE, as this really isnt easy! biggrin.gif)

So yes, I slacked a bit towards the end of last week in terms of keeping the practise regime constant, but this week I'm back on top of it and making some head ground.

Starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by the possibility of taking this up to 120bpm! I think I could manage some of it at that tempo, or at least I have in a couple of run throughs I've attempted, but certainly not with any of the sixteenth triplets! They are still well and truely NOT clean on my 90bpm, but like I said, making improvement.

I think i'm just having to get used to the faster wrist action with the triplets, as it's a different type of motion that I'm not used to... If that makes sense.

Oh well... Look out for the next 90bpm take by the end of the week!

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Dec 9 2008, 10:18 AM) *
Yes, this is exactly how you should practice.

This last 90 bpm take is very good. Again timing problems but that's ok as long as you are aware of that. The whole thing is getting together and you have made a great progress. I am expecting to hear this take 50% better in a week. Once you get this tempo right 120 will be a piece of cake smile.gif

Be careful with the little bends in some phrases. They don't need to be exact half step, it should be almost like you're bending it uncounciously (just a slight touch).

Well done

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 17 2008, 04:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 17 2008, 05:49 AM
Instructor
cool mate I am waiting for the next take smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 29 2008, 01:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here's my newest take,

Bit sloppy still and certain area's I can play better - just every take I do I make a couple of mistakes, so inevitable that some would be on the recording!

Attached File  vinnie_moore_new_take.wmv ( 3.39MB ) Number of downloads: 257

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 02:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Right... I need a kick up the arse a bit with this. Think I've hit a wall in the 90-120bpm progression. I need to really dedicate some time to getting each lick clean one by one.

Thinking of only concentrating on four bars a day.

I really have to thank you for your help with me on this lesson, my speed and more importantly my expression and personality has improved drastically.

My alternate picking feels much more natural, although still needs some work. It feels like a fluid movement opposed to a forced one.

Such a great lesson Emir, keep them coming! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 02:10 AM
Instructor
great to hear that. I am giving you 2 months to play it full speed smile.gif if you can now touch that border then it won't need more than 2 months for sure. I am running my first collab, do you want to sign up? You can use some of Vinnie's licks there, backing is open for any rock style playing.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 02:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
Already signed up!

Ok, thats my aim. Up to speed and played with style in 8 weeks.

I want to give your "rock ballad solo" lesson a go too. Should I just focus on this lesson untill its good and clean? Or would working on a couple of things be beneficial to each other?

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 11 2009, 01:10 AM) *
great to hear that. I am giving you 2 months to play it full speed smile.gif if you can now touch that border then it won't need more than 2 months for sure. I am running my first collab, do you want to sign up? You can use some of Vinnie's licks there, backing is open for any rock style playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 02:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 11 2009, 01:14 AM) *
Already signed up!

Ok, thats my aim. Up to speed and played with style in 8 weeks.

I want to give your "rock ballad solo" lesson a go too. Should I just focus on this lesson untill its good and clean? Or would working on a couple of things be beneficial to each other?

why not both and see what happens. Maybe the other one will give you some different methods and licks for improving picking and you can maybe easier get the old one after that. I think they are very similar difficulty level.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 11 2009, 02:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
Excellent, I'll get cracking on then! Lots to do what with the MTP and these lessons. You should check out my MTP section, see if you approve of my lessons cool.gif

I'll aim to get a video up fortnightly so you can advise on anything, thanks again Emir!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 11 2009, 02:26 AM
Instructor
sure I will

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:02 PM