2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Oddity - Middle Of The Rain, New song, first draft. :)
Iluha
Oct 14 2008, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
So this is my band's new song, we recorded a first draft of it today, using only a line6 toneport, which gave us a much better sound quality than our previous recording.

In this recording, unlike the previous one, there's no copied parts, everything you hear was recorded, except for the drums tongue.gif the bass was even recorded in one take! (I'm proud of him!)

I still got some issues with the song.. for example, the ending of the chorus, I playd that in our rehersals and it sounded great, but on the recording it just doesn't sound right, and overall I think the song has an amateur feel to it...

So if you got any suggestions on how to make it more intresting I'm open for suggestions!

The band:
Iluha - Guitar
Omer - Bass
Tom - Drums
Jonathan - Vocals & backing guitar during solo

I hope you enjoy it, it was very fun recording this and it really helped my band to get more confident in our music.

Edit: Fixed the recording up a bit, upped the volume of the guitar, and fixed it's placement, it doesn't sound late anymore.

THE FILE IS ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Iluha: Oct 25 2008, 07:27 PM

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 15 2008, 12:31 PM
No comments?... gee.. thanks?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 15 2008, 04:14 PM
Get to da Chopper!
very cool iluha, i really like the solo- its quite catchy and dark.

Two small things that bothered me a little were that your singer doesnt have a really strong voice- but i guess that'll come with practise... and also at the end- i think a more climatic ending would sound better- it sounded like it kind of just died out at the end.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 15 2008, 05:37 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 15 2008, 05:14 PM) *
very cool iluha, i really like the solo- its quite catchy and dark.

Two small things that bothered me a little were that your singer doesnt have a really strong voice- but i guess that'll come with practise... and also at the end- i think a more climatic ending would sound better- it sounded like it kind of just died out at the end.

Yeah I agree about the singing, unfourtantly this is the most confident vocalist I know of around here, on the positive side, he was much worst when he joined us, and he really improved.

About the ending, it's on purpose, that's how I felt the right way to end such a dark song would be, and to me it sounds good smile.gif

Thanks for the comment man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 15 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
I like the groove man it's rocking nicely, riffs are cool, and bass is interesting. Vocals are nice, but IMO they need the most work to sound really convincing. I think song has a lot of potential, nice and catchy, rhythm is pumping nicely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 15 2008, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 15 2008, 09:23 PM) *
I like the groove man it's rocking nicely, riffs are cool, and bass is interesting. Vocals are nice, but IMO they need the most work to sound really convincing. I think song has a lot of potential, nice and catchy, rhythm is pumping nicely.

Thanks Ivan, I completly agree... I actually decided that we will rerecord preety much everything.. as I found quite some issues

Vocals are far from convincing, Rythm guitar sound is preety horrible, bass wasn't in cue with the drums most of the time.. I hope we will rerecord as soon as this saturday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 15 2008, 10:00 PM
Hey this rocks.
I really like your solo and the riffs are nice too. If your singer works a little bit on the vocals you will have a really nice song

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 15 2008, 10:44 PM
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 15 2008, 11:00 PM) *
Hey this rocks.
I really like your solo and the riffs are nice too. If your singer works a little bit on the vocals you will have a really nice song

Thanks man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Oct 15 2008, 11:50 PM
I really liked this man, nice solo too. smile.gif

The thing that was bothering my throughout the whole piece was the mix! I think you need to add some compression and eq to the whole track to get things to sound a bit more fluid and "whole". But that's just my oppion of course. smile.gif

Nice job mate.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Siggum
Oct 15 2008, 11:58 PM
Thats a good song Iluha, you are on to something cool here. Like the others mentioned the vocals needs a bit work, does have potential though, i like the riffs and song structure and idea though, good job smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Oct 16 2008, 03:45 AM
Instructor
I liked it! smile.gif There's a very good song there.
But I think the guitar is a bit too dominating in the mix and also at the same time slightly muddy, and the drums are somewhat flat.
Another thing that would greatly enhance the song and production is having some more dynamics to let the listener feel that it's going to get heavier soon. Hope that makes sense smile.gif

But other than that, i think the playing is good. The guitars are tightly played and the solo fits well smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Oct 16 2008, 03:45 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 16 2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys, I agree with everything you said and hopefully fix everything in the rerecording smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 19 2008, 11:47 PM
That line 6 doesnt sound realy good here,realy sounds like a pod on hi fi speakers sound!Perhaps messing around with speaker emulation will give a more relistic tone?

Your solo wasnt bad,and fitted very well within the context of this tune

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 20 2008, 09:28 AM
QUOTE (Noangels @ Oct 20 2008, 12:47 AM) *
That line 6 doesnt sound realy good here,realy sounds like a pod on hi fi speakers sound!Perhaps messing around with speaker emulation will give a more relistic tone?

Your solo wasnt bad,and fitted very well within the context of this tune

I really dunno about all the gearbox setup, this was the first time I actually recorded using a toneport(it's not mine), but today we are supposed to rerecord the song, so it's defintly worth to put some time in playing around with the settings, thanks for the tip smile.gif

And when you say the solo "wasn't bad" you mean it wasn't good either?

This post has been edited by Iluha: Oct 20 2008, 09:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 20 2008, 12:04 PM
The solo was fine and fitted the rest of the track well,not at my home pc now so I cant relisten to it to remember how it went.It worked well but wasnt outstanding,dynamics as mentioned already were lacking.No big deal,I wouldnt play it like that but you did-thats the beuty of music we all play in our own ways

Your biggest problem to overcome is to get an authentic rth guitar tone recorded.That can be easier said than done.Its all trial and error!

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 20 2008, 05:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Iluha, you wanted to know why it had an amateuristic feel on it, well I think I know what might do this. The singer, just listen! He sings quit good, but his audio quality is way lower! You solo sounds really good and really cool for instance, but the sounds of the singer, it's like he's a bit to close to the mic! It's a waist of his voice if the recording quality is low, know what I mean?

I don't mean to offend you, I just think might help!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Skalde
Oct 20 2008, 07:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Congratz to your first recording, sounds good so far. As mentionend the guitar tone doesen't fit that good in the track. It sounds really like a pod, but the solo is great.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 20 2008, 09:50 PM
Guys, I can't thank you enough, we just finished rerecording the song, and we used all of you'r tips and the recording came out SO MUCH better!(atleast in my opinion smile.gif)

So here's the rerecording, the only thing we didn't rerecord was the solo because I just couldn't play it better today sad.gif

So have a listen, let me know if you think we have improved it, and if you got some suggestions to make it even better.

Once again, thank you everyone, this is what I love about this community, everyone wants to help, and everyone does smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  middle_of_the_rain_FULL.mp3 ( 8.85MB ) Number of downloads: 128

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 20 2008, 10:36 PM
well done,your guitar tone sounds a LOT better.thats a lot better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 20 2008, 11:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I liked it ! Its much better in the bass department which means a lot to a song! Just a little more mixing work need to be done !! smile.gif Cool song!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:12 PM