Can Scales Be Used Together ?
XirTiK
Oct 31 2009, 12:23 PM
GMC:er
If you for instance play a G major what scales can then be used for soloing ?
Is it every major scale wich is built on a G? For exaplme a lydian G major scale, or a pentatonic G major scale?
Can one combine different scales in a solo, or do you have to stick to just one ?

One forehand thanks =)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Oct 31 2009, 12:27 PM
I think it depends on the backing track for the solo, but if you use another scale in G which have just one different note from G Major I think it would work, if the backing is made for G Major.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Oct 31 2009, 01:37 PM
It really depends on the backing track. If you don't know, go with chord notes (the notes the chords of the backing track are build of). This always sounds nice:)

If the backing track is in G major, you should be able to play G pentatonic major and G diatonic major.
Sometimes, the backing track is a very simple progression, like for instance : G5, A5, A5, G5 which repeats.

In this case every scale in which the notes G, D, A, E are present, can be used. In this case, you can use :
G Major Pentatonic, G Major Diatonic, G Mixolydian, G Dorian, G Lydian, G major blues, G Ionian #5 and alot of other scales I can't think of right now.

But if the backing track has the chords Gmaj7, Am, F#dim7 and Em repeating, you're pretty limited to G major diatonic and pentatonic scale. Pentatonic can pretty much be used at any place the same diatonic major/minor scale can be used, because it lacks 2 notes.

Hope this helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (XirTiK @ Oct 31 2009, 12:23 PM) *
Is it every major scale wich is built on a G? For exaplme a lydian G major scale, or a pentatonic G major scale?
Can one combine different scales in a solo, or do you have to stick to just one ?

One forehand thanks =)

You answered it yourslef: you can use any major based scale. The purpose of doing this is to create different feel to that chord. This is a great exercises with one chord backings, as you acquire a good feel for different scale voicings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 31 2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (XirTiK @ Oct 31 2009, 12:23 PM) *

One forehand thanks =)

You can play any of those scales you mention if you play G major chord ONLY.
As said above, mixing those scales would give you different moods and expressions.
But if that G chord appears within progression with other chords
like per example Am, F, G and Dm then you would Am scale pretty much.
Now, G major pentatonic over G chord in a key of Am works just fine
since you have all notes included in Am scale already.
Maybe I missed to answer your question fully
but you didn't say was it G chord only or G combined with some other chords. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
XirTiK
Nov 2 2009, 12:54 PM
You've all been great help, and answered my question well, but this brings new questions into mind.

If you have a track from any selection of Chords, how do you see what scales can be played ?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 2 2009, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (XirTiK @ Nov 2 2009, 12:54 PM) *
You've all been great help, and answered my question well, but this brings new questions into mind.

If you have a track from any selection of Chords, how do you see what scales can be played ?

Well there are few ways to figure that out but we should have an example or few to start with.
You have any example of a chord progression?
Anyways, chords are made out of particular scale (most of the time) and knowing degrees chords
here is quite essential, things like major chords on I, IV and V degrees in major scale
or on III, VI and VII degrees in minor scale etc.

An example would show you nicely how things work. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
XirTiK
Nov 3 2009, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 2 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Well there are few ways to figure that out but we should have an example or few to start with.
You have any example of a chord progression?
Anyways, chords are made out of particular scale (most of the time) and knowing degrees chords
here is quite essential, things like major chords on I, IV and V degrees in major scale
or on III, VI and VII degrees in minor scale etc.

An example would show you nicely how things work. smile.gif

well i have this backing for example, it goes E5(High) | B/D# | D5 | A/G#

Chords played like this
|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|
|-9-|-8-|-7-|-6-|
|-9-|-9-|-7-|-7-|
|-7-|-6-|-5-|-4-|
|---|---|---|---|

I know that E pentatonic works well, but how do i find others ?

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 3 2009, 06:08 PM
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Oct 31 2009, 12:27 PM) *
I think it depends on the backing track for the solo, but if you use another scale in G which have just one different note from G Major I think it would work, if the backing is made for G Major.

duude, your sig is trippin me out!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 3 2009, 11:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (XirTiK @ Nov 3 2009, 05:57 PM) *
well i have this backing for example, it goes E5(High) | B/D# | D5 | A/G#

Chords played like this
|---|---|---|---|
|---|---|---|---|
|-9-|-8-|-7-|-6-|
|-9-|-9-|-7-|-7-|
|-7-|-6-|-5-|-4-|
|---|---|---|---|

I know that E pentatonic works well, but how do i find others ?

I guess the last one was A/C#?
Anyways, this type of progression is kind a tricky since you start with E power chord, nor major nor minor.
There are many ways to harmonize this and figure out all scales
but before I explain you all of them just tell me one thing.
E pentatonic you mentioned, you meant E major or E minor penta?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
XirTiK
Nov 5 2009, 11:22 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 3 2009, 11:55 PM) *
I guess the last one was A/C#?
Anyways, this type of progression is kind a tricky since you start with E power chord, nor major nor minor.
There are many ways to harmonize this and figure out all scales
but before I explain you all of them just tell me one thing.
E pentatonic you mentioned, you meant E major or E minor penta?

Yeah, its A/C# typo =P
I use the minor pentatonic, can the major also be used ?

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 5 2009, 11:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
Without going to deep into theory, I will say the following:

E = E aeolian or dorian
B/D# = E harmonic minor (= B7, B mixolydian with flattened 9)
D = E dorian (= D major)
A/C# = E dorian (= A7, A mixolydian)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 5 2009, 11:35 AM
Instructor
You can mix different scales and modes but it depends of what effect do you want to produce with it. What style is backing track in, what type of rhythm and phrasing are you using, what is your primary melodic choice when soloing etc
To give you easy example, you could use over simple major chord Ionian Lydian and Mixolydian mode from that same root. So if you have C major chord, you can use C Ionian C Lydian and C Mixolydian. Those modes come from C, G and F major scales. The reason why that would work is because C major chord (3 note chord - triad) is contained within all 3 mentioned modes.

Hope that gives you some hints and ideas regarding modal application in soloing. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
XirTiK
Nov 10 2009, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 5 2009, 11:35 AM) *
You can mix different scales and modes but it depends of what effect do you want to produce with it. What style is backing track in, what type of rhythm and phrasing are you using, what is your primary melodic choice when soloing etc
To give you easy example, you could use over simple major chord Ionian Lydian and Mixolydian mode from that same root. So if you have C major chord, you can use C Ionian C Lydian and C Mixolydian. Those modes come from C, G and F major scales. The reason why that would work is because C major chord (3 note chord - triad) is contained within all 3 mentioned modes.

Hope that gives you some hints and ideas regarding modal application in soloing. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Since the C Ionian C Lydian and C Mixolydian come from C,G and F, major scales, can they be used for the G and F maj backing as well ? Or do you have to use an GIonian G Lydian and G Mixolydian and so forth ?

is it possible for a scale to fit any backing (like when you use Emaj pentatonic for soloing the backing above), or are the backings wich are made so that you have to change scale as the backing goes ?

Also, is there a page where the different scales are listed for practising ?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 10 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (XirTiK @ Nov 10 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Since the C Ionian C Lydian and C Mixolydian come from C,G and F, major scales, can they be used for the G and F maj backing as well ? Or do you have to use an GIonian G Lydian and G Mixolydian and so forth ?

is it possible for a scale to fit any backing (like when you use Emaj pentatonic for soloing the backing above), or are the backings wich are made so that you have to change scale as the backing goes ?

Also, is there a page where the different scales are listed for practising ?

If you have G or F maj backing you have to use some sort of G or F type modes. Idea of scales and modes is to play melodies and end them on strong notes. This is why if you say you could play C lydian over G major that would be wrong simply because when you play C lydian mode you end your phrases on C E G (chord tones) and tensions (7 9 #11 and 13). #11 being characteristic note. So imagine playing C note which is Root in C lydian but now you got some sort of G major chord. That simply doesn't work because C over G is clashing, its perfect forth with major 3rd (C against B , minor 9th interval). To make the long story short, think chord tones arpeggios and functions of modes and the reason why they are there.

You can use one single scale over whole chord progression but its all about how you use that scale! Read things I wrote above and it will make sense.

I don't know any page that lists all those scales you are looking for.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:58 PM