Music And Martial Arts
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2011, 01:19 PM
Instructor
I know Ben's gonna love this one biggrin.gif alright, since starting with September, I have decided to try to walk a samurai's path, I was curious to know your opinion on something:

Do you think that practicing a form of martial arts could transform you into a better musician among other things? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Marek Rojewski
Aug 18 2011, 01:41 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
It is much more probable that it will do the opposite, because it will consume some time, energy, motivation. What is more it can, and most probably will lead to some kind of contusions (is this the right word?) not necessary of body parts that take part in playing, but this also an option.

All these things I listed are very probable to happen, in my book more probable than the "gains". Of course sometimes doing something which we are in love can boost our overall performance, we are happier so we are more motivated and have more energy. But I don't think that it will be the case for somebody that already has boosted performance thanks to doing something loved already - like making music.
There is this saying "learn thousand things from one thing" and of course it is true to some extent. But then again I don't think a serious musician must go to the dojo or a gym to learn about discipline...

Having said all that it is obvious that doing nothing else but music will not yield good results, people must do other things, because otherwise their lives are to flat/poor/one-dimensional and their music most probably will also reflect it. But as another saying says "man who chase two rabbits catches none". Unfortunately it isn't possible to pursue several really time consuming passions and become a master in them.

All in all I don't think that martial arts are a good way for a good musician to become even better, it could contribute some good habits for a person that just starts their musical journey, but for a good musician it is most probably the other way round - he'll be able to apply things learned with music to his martial arts training.

Just to be clear, I think that it is a great idea, martial arts are really inspiring and can make us better versions of ourselves, but it can hinder our musical development a bit in the process.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2011, 02:01 PM
Instructor
There is wisdom in your words Marek! smile.gif I want to try it though as I think that I can realize when it becomes more than I can handle and it would disrupt the balance instead of helping me keep it. Iaido is not a discipline which would hurt anyone (as long as you don't do it as a mercenary ready to kill other people with your sword i guess) smile.gif

I shall definitely try it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Aug 18 2011, 12:41 PM) *
It is much more probable that it will do the opposite, because it will consume some time, energy, motivation. What is more it can, and most probably will lead to some kind of contusions (is this the right word?) not necessary of body parts that take part in playing, but this also an option.

All these things I listed are very probable to happen, in my book more probable than the "gains". Of course sometimes doing something which we are in love can boost our overall performance, we are happier so we are more motivated and have more energy. But I don't think that it will be the case for somebody that already has boosted performance thanks to doing something loved already - like making music.
There is this saying "learn thousand things from one thing" and of course it is true to some extent. But then again I don't think a serious musician must go to the dojo or a gym to learn about discipline...

Having said all that it is obvious that doing nothing else but music will not yield good results, people must do other things, because otherwise their lives are to flat/poor/one-dimensional and their music most probably will also reflect it. But as another saying says "man who chase two rabbits catches none". Unfortunately it isn't possible to pursue several really time consuming passions and become a master in them.

All in all I don't think that martial arts are a good way for a good musician to become even better, it could contribute some good habits for a person that just starts their musical journey, but for a good musician it is most probably the other way round - he'll be able to apply things learned with music to his martial arts training.

Just to be clear, I think that it is a great idea, martial arts are really inspiring and can make us better versions of ourselves, but it can hinder our musical development a bit in the process.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 18 2011, 04:03 PM
Instructor
be very careful with your arms, hands, elbows etc, that could hurt for life!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Aug 18 2011, 04:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 18 2011, 02:19 PM) *
Do you think that practicing a form of martial arts could transform you into a better musician among other things?[/b] smile.gif

That would just take some valuable time from guitar playing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2011, 04:47 PM
Instructor
Ben's doing it and I don't see his playing being affected tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2011, 04:48 PM
Instructor
If you don't hurt your arms or hands it could be good but be careful!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 18 2011, 04:58 PM
Instructor
Well I have to step in here and say that since I started Karate, I have noticed that my all round physical health has improved and my back problems are virtually non existent. My joints feel stronger and healthier. A martial art is something which uses the whole body in a natural way (if you do it with respect and care) and naturally strengthens the body's infrastructure (the tendons, joints and muscles) and is not something which just makes bigger muscles like weight lifting for example. So if it's done properly it can make you a healthier person from the inside out. Instead of hindering your guitar playing it can help it. It hasn't stopped Dave Mustaine in his guitar playing. The karate master, Gichin Funakoshi, who was the founder of Shotokan karate, lived to his 90's and never took medicine or needed medical help of any sort during his whole life. A study years ago (I can't prove it though) also showed that karate resulted in much stronger elbow joints than average people. So it's all down to the approach of the individual. if it's approached with sense and respect it can only enhance your life, not hinder it.

I know what Marek is saying about time away from guitar.. but any other activity can do that. Tv, computer games, holidays, relationships.. this is a question of balance.

All in all, I'm inclined to agree with Cosmin. The understanding and revelations that occur in learning something like a martial art (and I'm sure this applies to anything you learn) can be applied back to your guitar playing and vice versa. Marek has already said the phrase 'From one thing, know ten thousand things' and I truly believe this.

I only think learning a martial art would benefit a person if they have the open mind to receive the benefits of it and realise that it's more than meets the eye. If somebody goes into it purely to learn fighting moves then that is all it would be.. kicking and punching.

EDIT: To sum up my long post, I guess I mean - martial arts won't make you a better musician by giving you faster fingers or anything, but study of martial arts can and will make you a better human being overall, which in turn would allow you to be a better musician.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 18 2011, 02:01 PM) *
There is wisdom in your words Marek! smile.gif I want to try it though as I think that I can realize when it becomes more than I can handle and it would disrupt the balance instead of helping me keep it. Iaido is not a discipline which would hurt anyone (as long as you don't do it as a mercenary ready to kill other people with your sword i guess) smile.gif

I shall definitely try it biggrin.gif

Yes, you should.. I always wanted to do a martial art as a kid but never did.. but now I am glad I have the chance otherwise I know I would live in regret if I didn't try it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 18 2011, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Aug 18 2011, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 18 2011, 02:19 PM) *
I know Ben's gonna love this one biggrin.gif alright, since starting with September, I have decided to try to walk a samurai's path, I was curious to know your opinion on something:

Do you think that practicing a form of martial arts could transform you into a better musician among other things? smile.gif

to go short : no it will not.

To really walk that path it will consume a lot of time and energy that is way different that skills used playing guitar.
conclusion: less time to get the guitar in your hands and develop the gift you (may) have for music/play guitar.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
TylerT
Aug 18 2011, 06:32 PM
Guitar Hero
I did Japanese jui jitsu for 2 years and am now training in BJJ (Brazilian jui jitsu)

I would say it helps my music as the added confidence/reduced stress keeps my mind clear and fresh biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2011, 06:48 PM
Instructor
Yes, I think it will make you a better human, because it's a noble thing, skill, philosophy.. People learn to respect each other, and learn about discipline. I trained karate, judo, capoeira regional, doing sports helped me become better and healthier in both body and mind.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2011, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Wow...so many biggrin.gif and Capoeira ...Ivan, that's one of the most amazing things for me...all due respect mate smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 18 2011, 05:48 PM) *
Yes, I think it will make you a better human, because it's a noble thing, skill, philosophy.. People learn to respect each other, and learn about discipline. I trained karate, judo, capoeira regional, doing sports helped me become better and healthier in both body and mind.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2011, 07:36 PM
Instructor
Didn't really advanced a lot in Karate in Judo, only yellow belt smile.gif Capoeira only 2 years of training, learned a lot, but quit in the end. It was demanding, it requires condition, and certain state of mind.. (walking on hands up and down the gym was warming up) laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2011, 10:39 PM
Instructor
I honestly wouldn't have expected nothing less from capoeira biggrin.gif are you still practicing some form of martial arts at this moment?

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 18 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Didn't really advanced a lot in Karate in Judo, only yellow belt smile.gif Capoeira only 2 years of training, learned a lot, but quit in the end. It was demanding, it requires condition, and certain state of mind.. (walking on hands up and down the gym was warming up) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sinister
Aug 19 2011, 06:09 AM
GMC:er
I think mentally, if it's something you're passionate about, it can inspire you to write something creative or even inspire you to play! I guess physically it can help loosen up your joints. But I think the important part is inspiration. For the past year or two I haven't played guitar as much as I used to and It's reflected in my playing as it became very repetitive etc. So recently i've been listening to some new music which has inspired me to play. So find something that inspires you to become a better person/guitarist!

I just watched Karate Kid, now I want to practice a martial art too... biggrin.gif

--edit--
Forgot to mention, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your practice time!

This post has been edited by Sinister: Aug 19 2011, 06:45 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2011, 06:49 AM
Instructor
Hey mate, well, I have a big garden, full of trees and flowers, I will take my sword out there and practice - I honestly think it'll be an incredible experience for both mind and body. And regarding time smile.gif I have it and I will use it properly wink.gif

QUOTE (Sinister @ Aug 19 2011, 05:09 AM) *
I think mentally, if it's something you're passionate about, it can inspire you to write something creative or even inspire you to play! I guess physically it can help loosen up your joints. But I think the important part is inspiration. For the past year or two I haven't played guitar as much as I used to and It's reflected in my playing as it became very repetitive etc. So recently i've been listening to some new music which has inspired me to play. So find something that inspires you to become a better person/guitarist!

I just watched Karate Kid, now I want to practice a martial art too... biggrin.gif

--edit--
Forgot to mention, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your practice time!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 19 2011, 08:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 18 2011, 06:48 PM) *
I trained karate, judo, capoeira regional, doing sports helped me become better and healthier in both body and mind.

Wow, Ivan ! You're practically a master compared to us ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
zen
Aug 19 2011, 10:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yea it does help i.e if it leaves you with any time to practice guitar. At least that's what i'm going through right now.
And if you're into any of the grappling arts that involve a gi, the fingers will get messed up and it will eventually effect guitar playing. one just has to accept that.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2011, 05:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zen @ Aug 19 2011, 09:07 AM) *
Yea it does help i.e if it leaves you with any time to practice guitar. At least that's what i'm going through right now.
And if you're into any of the grappling arts that involve a gi, the fingers will get messed up and it will eventually effect guitar playing. one just has to accept that.

No, actually I'm into this kind of stuff smile.gif this is what I'll be studying biggrin.gif

(and this recording has guitars as well biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 19 2011, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2011, 05:59 PM) *
No, actually I'm into this kind of stuff smile.gif this is what I'll be studying biggrin.gif

(and this recording has guitars as well biggrin.gif)

That looks so damn cool ! cool.gif

Seeing the guy draw his sword from the kneeling position reminded me.. in Karate (not sure if it's the same in other Japanese or Okinawan martial arts) we perform a kneeling bow.. we kneel with our left knee first and then our right until both our knees are on the ground. From there, we put our left hand on the floor first and then our right before bowing our head to the ground. Apparantly this is tradition from when people carried swords. They carried their swords strapped to their left side. By performing their customary bows, a person may be leaving himself vulnerable by lowering his head.. so he would lead with his left side, leaving his right hand free to draw his sword if he needed to. smile.gif

I'm not sure how true this is but it's cool nonetheless cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:54 PM