2 Compressor Pedal Question?
tommyboy
Nov 6 2008, 02:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I did a forum search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. unsure.gif

I've always run my compressor in front of the amp (not in the effects loop chain). However, I've heard some people prefer to run theirs this way.

Here's my current before amp pedal order starting with my guitar - Guitar, Tuner, Compressor, Wah, Phaser, Clean Boost, Noise Gate.

So here's my two questions.

#1 Does anybody use their compressor in the effects loop and why.

#2 Do you guys think my compressor is in the best spot in my chain or could things be moved around.

Just to note in my effects loop I go Eq, chours, Delay

Thanks,
tommyboy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 6 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
The connections in your setup is very personal. If you like it that way I think that's the best way, and to know that you have to try some different setups.
The difference to put the compressor pedal before anything else or putting it after all is really simple: If you put the pedal before all the others the signal enters the pedal and then (after being compressed) adds the other effects. When you put the compressor pedal after all the chain you are compressing a signal that had been processed before.
You have to keep always that in mind, if you put delay and then flanger is not the same to put flanger and then delay. That's because you've altered the signal before with some other effect.
I think the best advice is to try different setups and record the same piece of music so you can compare and decide for yourself.

biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 6 2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor
I notice that most times compressors are used like you say, in the loop, But to me it makes more sense to use it the way you are using it.

Compressor will even out the volume of the notes you play, so my thinking is that you want to do that first, I wouldn't want to compress a distorted sound for instance, distortion already evens out the volume, if you look at a distorted guitar waveform, it looks even, like it is already compressed.

Nothing is written in stone, so feel free to experiment, what I like is not necessarily what you like.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 6 2008, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 6 2008, 08:10 AM) *
The connections in your setup is very personal. If you like it that way I think that's the best way, and to know that you have to try some different setups.
The difference to put the compressor pedal before anything else or putting it after all is really simple: If you put the pedal before all the others the signal enters the pedal and then (after being compressed) adds the other effects. When you put the compressor pedal after all the chain you are compressing a signal that had been processed before.
You have to keep always that in mind, if you put delay and then flanger is not the same to put flanger and then delay. That's because you've altered the signal before with some other effect.
I think the best advice is to try different setups and record the same piece of music so you can compare and decide for yourself.

biggrin.gif

Thanks, good advice for sure. I actually understood that concept. I guess I'm looking to see how others are working with their compressors as this is my newest pedal and I've tried different spots in my pedal chain but I haven't found a spot that says "leave me here, this is my home" dry.gif so please keep the comments coming.

Thanks,
tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 6 2008, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Tommy.

I think your routing is fine since you have compressor at the begging,
after tuner tho but tuner has no effect value.

You can try the same thing with Loop,
that way all effects will work AFTER preamp section of your amp,
which means real sound of your amp can be tweaked a lot.

This is very personal tho,
some poeple per example hook everything to Loop,
some will place wah and compressor before preamp(after guitar)and everything else in Loop,
try few combinations and see what you like the most,listen to your ear. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Nov 6 2008, 04:11 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 7 2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks,

I'm going to try it in the effects loop. For what ever reason the output on the pedal is much greater so I can scale this back which gives me more overall control.

Thanks for the advice

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 7 2008, 01:23 AM
Instructor
You're welcome Tommy,let us know if you need anything else. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:24 AM