Deluxe Reverb Reissue
JVM
Oct 9 2008, 04:29 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi there guys. I've been looking for a new amp recently. I have my mesa f-50, and it is an excellent amp, but I think it's just too much for me. I've been wanting something smaller and lighter (and less watts) for jamming, and at the same time my style is becoming more suited to clean and overdrive tones than metal gain (not to say the mesa doesn't have great cleans, because it does).

So after looking around for a long time, I keep coming back to fender's deluxe reverb reissue. It looks great, all tube (even the reverb and on board tremolo), and great clean through crunch tones. From what I've read, its perfect for gigging and jamming, the 22 watts is loud and enough to play clean over drums, and it takes pedals well. For my purposes, I might have a boost like a tube screamer, but then probably no more than a delay, wah and an electro harmonix POG. The reverb is great, and I've always loved fender tremolo/vibrato.

What do you guys think?

I must add that the first time I really noticed this amp was at a gig my friend was doing, one of the other bands was playing some kind of santana sounding latin style rock, and this kid had a strat and a deluxe reverb. I always inspect the gear before they start playing, so I thought nothing of it until I heard them play, the tone of that amp really jumped out at me. That almost never happens, and the guys playing was good but nothing phenomenal.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 9 2008, 04:26 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 9 2008, 01:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well, a reissue of an absolute classic - cool if they stayed true to it, and form your description sounds like they did. How much are these? I would love on I think!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Oct 9 2008, 01:22 PM
GMC:er
They have one of these at my local music shop. one of my friends who works there plays his eric johnson strat through it. AMAZING amp, buy one if you get the chance!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Oct 9 2008, 01:23 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 9 2008, 05:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 9 2008, 08:19 AM) *
Well, a reissue of an absolute classic - cool if they stayed true to it, and form your description sounds like they did. How much are these? I would love on I think!

Yeah, from what I have read it's the best amp fender makes today.

Andrew, you shop sweetwater generally, am I right? For some reason the DRRI has no reviews or anything over there, so here's the musicians friend page, lots of info and reviews. Check out these sound clips too, this guy has a bunch. His Deluxe is modded a bit, with a new speaker, but thee are plenty of other video reviews of it stock.

QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Oct 9 2008, 08:22 AM) *
They have one of these at my local music shop. one of my friends who works there plays his eric johnson strat through it. AMAZING amp, buy one if you get the chance!

Yeah, I began noticing it as a possibility at my music shop. Usually I don't like fender's build quality on guys like the bassman reissue, etc, but the deluxe reverb when I tried it out felt solid and just QUALITY.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 9 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor
That amp is definitely a good choice, you can't really go wrong with it mate. Superb cleans, one of the best, and great overdrive as well. Not really for hi gain stuff, but for every thing else it is excellent if you like the tone from it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 18 2008, 06:30 PM
Learning Roadie
So... I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I can't decide between this and peavey's classic 30. I would get either of the classic 50 models, but they're not exactly what I'm looking for (a little too loud, heavier than I'd like and generally I'd rather get the '30).

From what I've heard, the classic 30 has great cleans almost comparable to fender's. The drive is also supposed to be really good on that amp. I think they come with JJ tubes, so thats a plus, but I might replace the speaker. It's also a lot cheaper than the deluxe reverb, but lacks tremolo and the reverb probably isn't as good. I like how the deluxe is all tube (including the trem and reverb and the rectifier as well I believe), but how much of a difference does that truly make?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 18 2008, 06:40 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 18 2008, 07:30 PM) *
So... I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I can't decide between this and peavey's classic 30. I would get either of the classic 50 models, but they're not exactly what I'm looking for (a little too loud, heavier than I'd like and generally I'd rather get the '30).

From what I've heard, the classic 30 has great cleans almost comparable to fender's. The drive is also supposed to be really good on that amp. I think they come with JJ tubes, so thats a plus, but I might replace the speaker. It's also a lot cheaper than the deluxe reverb, but lacks tremolo and the reverb probably isn't as good. I like how the deluxe is all tube (including the trem and reverb and the rectifier as well I believe), but how much of a difference does that truly make?

I have the classic 30, and it truly has great cleans and it can do real hard rock. I mean we could pull off things like Mr Crowley with it but not any harder that that. Also has great jazz tone if you eq it for that. It comes with chineese tubes, they worked just fine. I changed into JJ's just rescently but I can't say I hear much of a difference, maybe a little bit more brit crunch break up from those.
I'm perfectly happy with that amp, but compared to a high end Fender (with 6L6's) it must bow to the Fender cleans.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:27 PM