Going 7 Strangz Now!, But there's a problem, help!
eLeCtRoFrEaK0036
Apr 26 2013, 01:52 AM
GMC:er
Hey, I have a question about 7-string guitar tunings if anyone here has owned one or messed around with one.

But anyway. Here's the problem. I usually play in Drop A# with my 6-string guitar which tunings are: A#-F-A#D#-G-C
So majority of my songs are written in that tuning.

Now when I get the 7-string guitar.
The tuning is going to be in Drop A: A-E-A-D-G-B-E. But here's the problem now. it's basically in standard tuning with the extra string. I DON'T WANT THAT. I wanted it to be in the same tuning with all the strings tuned down 5 steps, but I don't have a baritone guitar, so it might not hold the tunings properly!

So, what do you suggest I do to get my seven string guitar tuned the way I have my six string to continue playing my songs on the new guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter
Visit My Website
Please like my Facebook page
Please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel

There's only room for improvement. Never give up on what you love!
#TheWorldisYours

-IsiahDrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 26 2013, 02:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
So what did you want the 7 string for? Do you want a lighter or darker extra string?
It seems the most logical tuning for you in this case would be to have a drop A# tuning, just tune it upwards. Set it up and it'll be fine.
If you actually want to tune your guitar as a drop A# 6-string with an extra string, tune it whatever you feel useful. Maybe an F? Set it up properly and it'll be fine.

Thinking about it, I thiink used to play in a drop A# with an extra dark F a bit some time back. Can't remember which gauges I used though. But really, if all you wanted is a darker string, tune it so it works out with what your idea with buying a 7 string was smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Apr 26 2013, 02:29 AM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 26 2013, 02:49 AM
Baritone helps get you low but if you noticed your 6-string is quite low for a standard scale. It just gives the option of more tension so you can use a lighter gauge for the string.

I bought a 7 maybe a month ago if that. I changed strings and now I'm getting it setup. I went from 10-59 to 11-64 in standard tuning. I know people that would call me a wuss and say that 64 needs to be more like a 68. So I'm guessing you may need a 75-80+ area for the B to be an F. Or.. This would be crazy odd and different. But tune it backwards. A#-F-A#D#-G-C-F. I only thought of this as Keith Merrow tuned a song to Bb-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-C-F. So weird seeing it tuned up half a step and being heavy as can be!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2013, 07:55 AM
Well, you can tune it any way you like smile.gif Just take each note down five steps and BINGO smile.gif Your there. It will get really floppy and super buzzy but what the heck smile.gif

The 7 string is tuned normally with a low B on the 7th string and it's quite heavy sounding. Detuning it too much can sound pretty frappy and loose and give up all the definition. So be careful about going to low.

Todd

QUOTE (eLeCtRoFrEaK0036 @ Apr 25 2013, 08:52 PM) *
Hey, I have a question about 7-string guitar tunings if anyone here has owned one or messed around with one.

But anyway. Here's the problem. I usually play in Drop A# with my 6-string guitar which tunings are: A#-F-A#D#-G-C
So majority of my songs are written in that tuning.

Now when I get the 7-string guitar.
The tuning is going to be in Drop A: A-E-A-D-G-B-E. But here's the problem now. it's basically in standard tuning with the extra string. I DON'T WANT THAT. I wanted it to be in the same tuning with all the strings tuned down 5 steps, but I don't have a baritone guitar, so it might not hold the tunings properly!

So, what do you suggest I do to get my seven string guitar tuned the way I have my six string to continue playing my songs on the new guitar?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:59 PM