22 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Phil66
Feb 19 2021, 08:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Helo Sarge,

Further to the post right above this one, I have taken two videos one from the neck and one from the front. In each one, the first play from the high strings to low and back again is my normal palm mute technique and the second is with my palm planted in the middle.

I find when I plant my palm and don't slide it across the string it feels very awkward, I'm having to behave like the fingers on a clock and rotate my hand to get my pick to the strings.

What are your thoughts? The muting isn't up to my normal standard, maybe it's the very close scrutiny going on laugh.gif

Cheers

https://youtu.be/iRgLJ8SraX8

https://youtu.be/5a5_wsUhaus

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2021, 11:42 PM
GMC:er
No worries on the tab I sorted it smile.gif Thanks again for your work on the tabs. It's great practice to tab things. As for picking, yea, this could be a game changer for your playing. You've been in the trenches long enough now that I think you are ready to start adapting your playing to include more advanced approaches. I don't like throwing everything at a player at once. It can be overwhelming. Pick slanting/Edging an make playing much easier once you get used to it as it's just the most efficient way to address the strings imho. Requires less energy, improves traverse, etc. It's simply the best way to go about it. Now that your mute and and hand synch and timing are all going well. I think it's time to try to improve your pick angle. it's the one thing I can see that is holding you back at this point. it will seem odd at first but only at first. After all your really just letting the hand find a natural angle. Choke up on the pick as far as you can. Just use the tip. Bam. new worlds will open up smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 19 2021, 12:44 AM) *
Thanks Sarge,

I'll watch this when I get chance,

I did try it last night before you posted those videos and it just felt completely alien, probably because I've flat picked for so long because that's what I thought was how it was done and no one to one teacher has ever told me otherwise. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Re the typo, I did share mate, I said "the number 7 after "Get yer pickin going"". Its not a typo in the TAB, its in the subtitle.

Cheers

Stay safe

Phil

As for palm mute. Thanks for the vids. The first one is SPOT ON. This is "center strategy" it's an advanced technique that I try on players when I think they are ready for it. Yes, you will need to angle the hand rather than move the hand. This technique is superior for several reasons, not the least of which is that it allows equal access to high and low strings without requiring a hand shift. The second video you are doing the more instinctive and less advanced, palm drag technique. Some players simply can't play using center strategy. Then again, some players can't play fast, or multi pick or what have you. I think you are ready for this. It will seem odd until you get used to it. once you do get used to it, you'll find you have easy access to every string all the time and don't have to lift or drag your mute. Give it a go in future missions/lessons. smile.gif_

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 19 2021, 03:55 PM) *
Helo Sarge,

Further to the post right above this one, I have taken two videos one from the neck and one from the front. In each one, the first play from the high strings to low and back again is my normal palm mute technique and the second is with my palm planted in the middle.

I find when I plant my palm and don't slide it across the string it feels very awkward, I'm having to behave like the fingers on a clock and rotate my hand to get my pick to the strings.

What are your thoughts? The muting isn't up to my normal standard, maybe it's the very close scrutiny going on laugh.gif

Cheers

https://youtu.be/iRgLJ8SraX8

https://youtu.be/5a5_wsUhaus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 19 2021, 11:42 PM
Thanks Sarge.

I'll do my best wink.gif Just to clarify, both videos have palm drag and centre plant it's just that in each video the first traverse across the strings and back is palm drag and the second traverse and back is centre plant.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 20 2021, 08:17 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2021, 04:24 AM
You've got good palm mute techique here. "Center strategy" is more of a goal than a practical approach. It's just the idea that, when possible, it's a good idea to try to center the palm on the bridge. Depending on what's being played, it can be adjusted as needed. It's really about trying to get away from just moving the pick hand up and down the strings which can cause it's own form of string noise.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 19 2021, 06:42 PM) *
Thanks Sarge.

I'll do my best wink.gif Just to clarify, both videos have palm drag and centre plant it's just that in each video the first traverse across the strings and back is palm drag and the second traverse and back is centre plant.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 10:06 PM
TBC 25 Take 1 Sarge,

Sorry I didn't get much of my right hand in shot.

https://youtu.be/sdr0PKrQsdI

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2021, 01:55 AM
BINGO!! This is a complicated lick due to all of the constant back and forth in it. it requires a high degree of concentration since there are so many repeated notes. if one note is out of order, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The good news is that the notes are all in place!! Clean strikes, solid palm mute, good pick angle, it's all there. Your technique is solid soldier!!! This lick can be played a bit faster by using the "strike once, hammer many" approach and striking only now and then and using legato to fill in the rest of the notes. For use in a solo, I often use the pick one hammer many technique on licks like this as it's just more efficient and in a solo context. As for this Mission, you are doing it just right!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 1 2021, 05:06 PM) *
TBC 25 Take 1 Sarge,

Sorry I didn't get much of my right hand in shot.

https://youtu.be/sdr0PKrQsdI

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2021, 07:23 AM
Thanks Sarge,

Onto TBC26. What is that symbol in the last note of the TAB?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2021, 09:55 PM
TBC 26 Take 1 Sarge. Increasing the BPM with each loop, I did fluff it on one of the loops but I recorved and carried on.

https://youtu.be/BwBg6p1GOjY

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2021, 09:09 AM
Well fought Soldier! This is a very tricky lick due to it's constant back and forth. it's a great way to stress test the fingers and see if they can keep up with each other! Also, it's a stress test of hand synch. It's got so much string traverse, coupled with so much back and forth that it's easy for the fingers to get lost in it. The good news is there is no drift or gaps in your playing. Also, well played on doing several passes. It lets me see your hands over a distance of ground. There were a few bits that needed a polish on some of the runs but a couple of them were really spot on. it's those that im grading here.

Your mute is solid and not lifting or drifting, your synch is tight, your picking is nice and clean and your angle is good. In short your technique is looking good soldier!! Clearly you have put your time in the wood shed!! I think your Tshirt is also helping your playing!! It's a magic talisman that brings good fortune and shred in to focus.

In short you just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

well done on the tab on this! Here is the new tab and the image.

Attached File  Mission_26_Asymetrical_Patterns_on_Symetrical_Shapes.gp5 ( 2.1K ) Number of downloads: 145

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 2 2021, 04:55 PM) *
TBC 26 Take 1 Sarge. Increasing the BPM with each loop, I did fluff it on one of the loops but I recorved and carried on.

https://youtu.be/BwBg6p1GOjY

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 3 2021, 09:44 PM
Thanks Sarge,

BTC 27 Take 1 320bpm 1/4 notes

After a few runs I noticed that I was slightly off with the metronome so I paused and did some more which I feel are more in time.

https://youtu.be/AuOTvoBXYQ4

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 3 2021, 09:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 4 2021, 09:33 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! You are in a RIPPING, TEARING, RAIDING streak. Keep it up! You may have noticed that this bit forces your fingers apart and makes you stretch to reach the notes. it's placed mid neck to make this lesson unplayable if the first three fingers are used. Your first take is nice and clean. Good synch and good timing with the metronome. This type of lick works as a "Shred lick" as you keep going, try to see if you can use the "strike once hammer many" technique and strike as few strings as you can and use legato for most of it instead. The harder you press your palm mute, the more legato notes will sound like they are picked. Also, for solo work, you can rush or lag a bit just to add flavor to a given lick. As with all of these, try each each mission out as a solo lick with a youtube backing if at all possible. It will prep your hands for the next collab!

Well fought Soldier! you are ready for what awaits. You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward
Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 3 2021, 04:44 PM) *
Thanks Sarge,

BTC 27 Take 1 320bpm 1/4 notes

After a few runs I noticed that I was slightly off with the metronome so I paused and did some more which I feel are more in time.

https://youtu.be/AuOTvoBXYQ4

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 4 2021, 09:58 AM
Thanks Sarge,

No need for me to do a GP file for that one, it already had one wink.gif

On to 28 smile.gif

https://youtu.be/0dY7Xik58NI

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 4 2021, 09:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2021, 07:02 AM
This is a great start Soldier! i am hearing just a bit of issue here and there. In the first pass, about 3 to 4 seconds in, when descending. It sounds like perhaps an open string was allowed to slip out of mute and create a bit of string noise. Up til then it was doing very well. This one is all about keeping a huge amount of notes clean and separated. I like how you are pushing your speed here, but it may be just a pinch to far. You can put up a slower take and a faster take if you like to show control and then show how you are progressing on speed?

I noticed small errors in the other passes as well. I'd ask you to watch the video again with fresh ears and see if you can isolate them as well. Part of the process is deconstructing ones own playing which can be very frustrating at times. If I was playing this lick in a solo, I'd legato about half of the notes. But, for a picking drill, it's important to pick them all and keep them all separated. A bit harder push on your palm mute will stop any string noise. Even if you leave the left hand fretted as you transition, if the mute is strong it will clamp notes that are not being struck. This is the tricky part, too much mute and you choke the strings, not enough and you get string noise.

Give me one more on this, slow down a bit on one take and focus on clean separation and speed up on one to show speed progress. The Tab looks perfect btw!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 4 2021, 04:58 AM) *
Thanks Sarge,

No need for me to do a GP file for that one, it already had one wink.gif

On to 28 smile.gif

https://youtu.be/0dY7Xik58NI

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 6 2021, 07:03 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 6 2021, 09:44 PM
Take 2 Sarge,

I do fluff one of the runs, this is 216bpm-264bpm in 2% increments playing quarter notes.

Sorry that the sync is off a little, I forgot to click "record" in Reaper rolleyes.gif so this is the direct audio feed from one of my headphone sockets into Capture.

https://youtu.be/7AF4ieP6A5o

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 6 2021, 09:52 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2021, 04:58 AM
Nice! The first one is spot on. This is very controlled and very precise. I like to see a "speed run" or two just to see how you are progressing when pushing the envelope. Your displaying a high level of control in picking and muting which is good to see. Your able to keep a solid palm mute while traversing strings which is a skill all by itself. The only small issue I see is sliding first finger back and forth instead of shifting hand position during that first 11/12th fret move. This is just a players preference though as this lick doesn't go any further toward the low E. If the lick were carried all the way to the low E, it would be better to shift hand position. however, I know you are fighting against injury to be playing at all and even at full chat this would still be a very small thing. It's certainly not enough to keep you badging up. Just thought I'd make a note of it.

You got this one sorted Soldier.
You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 6 2021, 04:44 PM) *
Take 2 Sarge,

I do fluff one of the runs, this is 216bpm-264bpm in 2% increments playing quarter notes.

Sorry that the sync is off a little, I forgot to click "record" in Reaper rolleyes.gif so this is the direct audio feed from one of my headphone sockets into Capture.

https://youtu.be/7AF4ieP6A5o

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 7 2021, 10:01 PM
I've taken the badge Sarge but I've also done another take with no slide.

It's 240bpm-300bpm, there are places where i lose it and have to pick up again, and as we approach the 300bpm mark you will hear some hand sync issues, ie, the note is hammered on just before the pick hits the string giving a double note.

As well as learning the exercises, I'm working hard on relaxing both hands ss much as possible, can you notice any result yet? I think I can when I watch the videos.

https://youtu.be/FBFXFGU3Fg4

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 8 2021, 03:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 9 2021, 04:17 AM
Impressive work Soldier! I appreciate you going back to finish it off! This is very good form. That hand position is quite good. Your hand synch is better on this one as well and precision is increased. It was worth doing a few more, I can see the improvements! Well played. Also your faster versions are more precise as well. This is great preparation for what is to come. This style of lick will be run all the way down in various forms. Also all the way back up, so getting used to doing the fret position this way is a very good thing. Super spiff Soldier! I am looking forward to your next mission!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 7 2021, 05:01 PM) *
I've taken the badge Sarge but I've also done another take with no slide.

It's 240bpm-300bpm, there are places where i lose it and have to pick up again, and as we approach the 300bpm mark you will hear some hand sync issues, ie, the note is hammered on just before the pick hits the string giving a double note.

As well as learning the exercises, I'm working hard on relaxing both hands ss much as possible, can you notice any result yet? I think I can when I watch the videos.

https://youtu.be/FBFXFGU3Fg4

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2021, 06:42 AM
Updated Mission 29

Attached File  29a_2.gp5 ( 1.77K ) Number of downloads: 139

Attached Image

Attached File  29b.gp5 ( 1.75K ) Number of downloads: 135

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 15 2021, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 16 2021, 09:54 PM
Hello Sarge,

Okay, here is take one of SBC29a 168bpm - 192bpm. It threw me of a little bit with the timing, having 1/8 notes with notes grouped in threes, messed with my head laugh.gif This exercise aggravates my injury a little bit for some reason but it's not too bad.

Are they okay submitted like this with the increasing tempo? I think it works well and gives you a chance to see me going from okay to bad so you ight spot something that can be improved.

https://youtu.be/C5kcylZRET0

And here is SBC 29b

https://youtu.be/szGWvQt0_Sw

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2021, 10:29 PM
Good job Soldier! Sorry to hear this makes your injury flare up. The second part is very solid. The first part is sorta working as you are clearly able to play it but you rush in the middle nearly every time. You start on the beat and end on the beat, but the middle section seems more like you are focusing on just hitting the notes than being tied to the metronome. This usually happens when a soldier is playing a bit above a comfy speed. As this is not a speed drill, more of a precision drill to see if you can keep to the beat, give me one more of PART A and slow it down a pinch so that you can stick each note on a beat. The notes are in groups of three but each one should be tied directly to a beat. It might help to set the metronome for all clicks and no clacks. Give me one more Soldier!

Sarge

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:08 PM