Floyd Rose Stringing/ Tuning, I need more details....
demonmyst
Feb 1 2008, 10:11 PM
GMC:er
I tried and I think I wasted a pair of strings. Between 2 things of text and 2 videos...there seems to be many ways to do it. I just bought this guitar and I tried changing the tuning without knowing anything about it, and pop, the strings came off. I bought new strings in attempt to just figure it out on my own, but I think I wasted those too...=\ I have a pair of super slinky left and I want to get it right this time...

I'm like pulling hairs over this...so I hope someone can help me...

[Also, how am I supposed to know if it's going to be the right adjustments or not!?....]

[[Can my strings be...reused?...]]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 1 2008, 10:17 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The two videos, are they these?
If not maybe they can help?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 1 2008, 10:20 PM
I'll check them out. I looked in the "look here before posting" section, but they wern't in it.

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 1 2008, 10:23 PM
i haven't got a floating trem.
but about the last bit. your strings can be reused if they haven't snapped. assuming there's enough string to thread through the machine head.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 1 2008, 10:32 PM
I'll probably try reusing...but I'm not expecting anything...

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Feb 2 2008, 12:13 AM
u should do what i do :
buy like 10 million sets of strings to compensate my stupidity tongue.gif i totally snap strings randomly all the time! over bending and all

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 2 2008, 09:07 AM
Well, I mastered getting the strings on, but the bottom of it is sunk in and I don't know how to fix it so I assume I have to adjust it..

Tuning to E standard I've noticed is WAY too tight. If I did it with the high E It'd definitely snap.

Can you adjust with the strings still on?

How do I adjust? I don't really understand the whole concept...

NOTE: ALWAYS LEAVE A BLOCK LIKE THEY SAY... THE DAMN THING FALLING SUCKS!

+Quote Post
Gus
Feb 2 2008, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (demonmyst @ Feb 2 2008, 09:07 AM) *
Well, I mastered getting the strings on, but the bottom of it is sunk in and I don't know how to fix it so I assume I have to adjust it..

Tuning to E standard I've noticed is WAY too tight. If I did it with the high E It'd definitely snap.

Can you adjust with the strings still on?

How do I adjust? I don't really understand the whole concept...

NOTE: ALWAYS LEAVE A BLOCK LIKE THEY SAY... THE DAMN THING FALLING SUCKS!

Hey man. Recently I moved into a floating bridge guitar. I really liked the way it is soft for bending (when properly set), but I struggled a little with adjustments stuff.

My suggestion is that for first time, ask someone experienced to do the adjustment and show it for you. If you know well the guys where you bought the guitar try with them. They more or less "owe" you that.
That said, let me try helping you.
If I got it right from your post you tried to do a different tunning without adjusting it right?

The floating bridge has a very delicate equilibrium between the strings tension, and the tension of the springs on the back, which compensate for string tension.

For that reason, you can not really move to a different tuning without adjusting it. Not even dropping a single string (such as drop D). Also if you change the string gauge, you definetely need lots of adjustment. Since your bridge is going into the body, you have to loosen the springs (using that attach them to the body). But do not do that indefinetely! They may go out of the body and that would sucks hard.

First check your guitar manual to what is the exact way the bridge is to stay when properly adjusted. Your aim is to have the guitar in your target tuning in that exact position.
That means, that if you are moving for exemple from standard E to Eb you will have to adjust the springs and then tune it. Adjust the springs and then tune it. Expect to that about 20 times before getting close... ohmy.gif Also do not do that without a digital tuner. It is almost impossible...

If you move the tuning too much (lets say you move to drop C) or you change the string gauge you are most likely to need to change the spring configuration as well. That is really painfull... It may be possible you need to install more springs (thicker gauges) or remove one (lighter gauges).

If you have your guitar adjusted and just want to replace the strings I strongly suggest you to do that 1 string at a time. Change it tune it and then play it with bends. Then tune again and bend, until it is more or less stable. Just after that you move to next string.
Also that helps avoiding breaking strings during change.

So, in your case first of all assure yourself that you have strings of the same gauge that originally came. I assume you are using lighter gauge than original, since it is sunk and you can not reach E standard tuning.
If you want to change the gauge it is likely you need to change the spring configuration. In my case I moved from 009 to 010 (which means more tension from strings) and at the same time from E to Eb tuning (which means less tension from strings). That was enough to keep the springs on place (not adding more nor changing the way the way they are installed). Still I had to go through the tuning and adjustment process, which took me about 1 hour.

If you can't do it yourself take the guitar to a luthier and asks for the adjustments. But go on a gentle one that show you how to adjust your guitar in the future. And check his work by comparing to the picture in your guitar manual.

Hope that helps wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Feb 2 2008, 03:18 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 2 2008, 04:19 PM
I already know about that, but I don't know what tuning it was in in the first place. I twisted the bridge lock instead of the fine tuning by accident not knowing what I was doing, and from there....I've had a stripped guitar.

I CANT put it in Estandard with the strings taht are on because the gadge is too big I believe, and if not my bridge is just messed up in general so I need to fix it [the spring config]

I didn't get a manual either...

I'm more than likely going to a way thicker gadge. I might just not use these strings and throw super slinky on there so I don't have to go through the hassle... cause .11 are the power slinky...which seem kind of bad for the floyd rose system...so it'd be .09 to .11 I'm assuming.

I posted this on myspace, it might also have some useful information of what I'm trying to get.

"I still haven't figured it out. I have the strings on there, but I need to do all the adjustments to get the bridge even with the nut.... I heard getting this system right is really hard to do.

I'm not sure of the gage of the stock strings that I ACCIDENTLY stripped off not knowing what I was doing... I assumed it was like a normal guitar. Note to all you nonfloyd rose users...NEVEER EVER STRIP A FLOYD ROSE FROM ITS STRINGS YOULL REGRET IT....now with that said.

I believe I went from a .9 to a .11, which will be a lot of adjusting which I might not even have the springs for.

I'm looking to keep it in E standard with the best gage for a Floyd Rose....so if .9 is better for these, I'll definitely throw a different pair of strings on so I don't have to worry about changing all the time [I say .9 because I read it's VERY common on a floyd]"

This post has been edited by demonmyst: Feb 2 2008, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 2 2008, 04:28 PM
If you changed string guage then your intonation will be screwed. Here's a really helpgul website on the Floyd Rose:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 2 2008, 05:11 PM
I think there's some hope!

I'm in like...A tuning and it's too tight, BUT it's not set right because I still need to prop it up and try and tune it to E and see what happens. I might not have to adjust after all. :]]]

Will update when I get time to do this tonight!

That site also seems REALLY useful, so I might not need anymore help and I might not have to pay a store to do it for me. :]]]]]

+Quote Post
Gus
Feb 2 2008, 08:51 PM
Hey slash. Cool site.

I wish I knew about that site before I had moved to 010 gauge and keeping E standard tuning (without adding any springs). huh.gif It killed lots of the playability of the guitar. Moving to Eb made me so glad about playing easy again.
If I ever go back to standard tuning, I will definetely add an extra spring.

Check the angle part, demonmyst. It says a lot about what I was trying to say. And with pictures...

This post has been edited by Gus: Feb 2 2008, 08:57 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Feb 3 2008, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I got to adjust it for my springs, and I've read that .09 is popular...so mines probably set for .09 and if I don't have the springs I'll probably have to use my super slinkys

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:37 PM