Best Mix To Date For Me, Heavy and fast metal
The Uncreator
Aug 2 2012, 01:32 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator

I allowed 3 days to pass and I still am happy with this mix. I got the snare sound I wanted, vocals came out just how I wanted. Spacey, black metally distortion to it (?). Guitars sit right with me, just excited about it.

Plenty of solos, fast riffs (234 bpm rolleyes.gif ), heavy chuggy riffs, synth solos, big harmonies, bass guitar solos. Lots of stuff going on, I think you guys should dig it, or at least I hope smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
vonhotch
Aug 2 2012, 02:26 AM
GMC:er
That's great stuff!!!!! Best song I heard today!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2012, 03:22 AM
Well done! smile.gif Sounds like you are really happy with it which is important. Have you put it up on soundcloud yet to get more feedback? It's sounding good! As with many of my own mixes, I notice the guitars are maybe covering the bass lines up a bit and competing for sonic space but that's true with a lot of djent/math in general so not a biggie.

Todd

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 1 2012, 08:32 PM) *

I allowed 3 days to pass and I still am happy with this mix. I got the snare sound I wanted, vocals came out just how I wanted. Spacey, black metally distortion to it (?). Guitars sit right with me, just excited about it.

Plenty of solos, fast riffs (234 bpm rolleyes.gif ), heavy chuggy riffs, synth solos, big harmonies, bass guitar solos. Lots of stuff going on, I think you guys should dig it, or at least I hope smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2012, 09:23 AM
Instructor
Sounds huge man - love it !

And that artwork is beautiful !

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 2 2012, 10:36 AM
Good work, well done. wink.gif
Everything's just find, but i have noticed a Lag from 3:40 - 4:30 where you're just repeating same rhythm and nothin' new happends..
the similar thing hapends,but more tolerable from 6:30 - 7.00..

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 2 2012, 11:25 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2012, 10:22 PM) *
Well done! smile.gif Sounds like you are really happy with it which is important. Have you put it up on soundcloud yet to get more feedback? It's sounding good! As with many of my own mixes, I notice the guitars are maybe covering the bass lines up a bit and competing for sonic space but that's true with a lot of djent/math in general so not a biggie.

Todd

Its the one thing I can't translate well over the internet, local playback the notes pop a lot better cause its a fretless bass, and considering the song takes 30 minutes to render in reaper, 45 minutes in vegas, and 1 hour to youtube, dont want to make a version with alternate bass mix for the webs laugh.gif

Soundcloud will get it eventually but Youtube with an HD video allows me to get higher quality than pretty much anything else. SoundCloud is great but it darkens the song

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 2 2012, 04:23 AM) *
Sounds huge man - love it !

And that artwork is beautiful !

Thanks many!

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 2 2012, 05:36 AM) *
Good work, well done. wink.gif
Everything's just find, but i have noticed a Lag from 3:40 - 4:30 where you're just repeating same rhythm and nothin' new happends..
the similar thing hapends,but more tolerable from 6:30 - 7.00..

3:40 - 4:30 is just two riffs with alternate variations on each other, with the 2nd and 4th riffs having a pretty noticeable differences I think. 6:30 - 7:00 is a fairly simple part, its only 30 seconds in an 11 minute song so I am not gonna change too much in 30 seconds.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2012, 12:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 2 2012, 11:25 AM) *
Its the one thing I can't translate well over the internet, local playback the notes pop a lot better cause its a fretless bass, ...

Internet sites have a tendency to add additional compression when they transcode to whatever their preferred format is. That can play real havoc with any audio.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Aug 2 2012, 03:31 PM
Tone Seeker
I'm not fan of that growling but the song kick ass ! Really tight playing man ! Also nice cover art - fits in the song

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 2 2012, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 2 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Internet sites have a tendency to add additional compression when they transcode to whatever their preferred format is. That can play real havoc with any audio.

I find the high quality videos on youtube translates audio best. SoundCloud is close but it darkens it and sucks a little low end out. Doesn't a proper master also help with this as well?

+Quote Post
mjd550
Aug 2 2012, 11:20 PM
Very good, my favorite is the part around 5 minutes cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 3 2012, 07:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That was great biggrin.gif definitely a step up from your previous works. I liked the synthesizer parts, I thought they were really tasteful. The guitar tone was pretty wicked as well. Which amp and cab did you use, or emulate?

By the way, the riff at 9:11 is almost the same riff from a song of a band I used to be in laugh.gif But I think you pulled it off better anyways wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2012, 09:41 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 2 2012, 08:30 PM) *
I find the high quality videos on youtube translates audio best. SoundCloud is close but it darkens it and sucks a little low end out. Doesn't a proper master also help with this as well?

Not sure what youtube use but the video should just be a wrapper and so maintain whatever audio you use.

I think Soundcloud however transcodes to a compressed format and that can do what your hearing - i.e. it's adding compression when it transcodes. That compression drags up the noise floor and flattens the dynamic range. That can result in the low end and quiet stuff dissapearing a bit and with something like a fretless you can also really lose some of the snap. The transcode also tends to kill off some of the high end resulting in a both a darker mix: if I remember correctly mp3s have a tendency to roll off quite steeply from about 16kHz but it depends on the actual codec and mp3 target rates. Many people don't think that makes a difference because of our audible range but it does - it kills the air/shimmer in a mix and tilts the audio spectrum to a darker mix.

A proper master needs to pay some attention to what the final target is and it's one reason why we always ask. If it's CDA 16/44.1 it can limit to -.3 and dynamics spectral tilt etc are generally retained as what you render. If its digital then it needs to be a little more conservative with 2 bus compression/limiting to at least allow for the transcode and you need to be aware how dynamics etc may shift. Radio and film are again different, albeit that a well mastered CD which has good dynamic range is generally fine for both. A quick way to lose post work - submit audio which is clipped and lacks dynamics to a major and you'll never hear from them again wink.gif. That would be 99.99% of the digital stuff on the net.

By the way Sonnox/Sony Oxford developed a vst that lets you load a wave and compare what multiple transcoders will do in real time here. It's not cheap though at about $450. The alternative though is to do a lot of ABs to compare uncompressed wave files before and after transcoding to see what's happening.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:41 PM