One Of Those Weird Things
Phil66
Sep 30 2015, 09:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
All set to the same rhythm but started at different times and ending up synchronised all on their own. This was first discovered in 1670 by pendulum clock inventor Christiaan Huygens.
Before Huygens closed up shop for a long weekend, he wound up all the pendulum clocks hanging on his wall, and set them to tick-tocking back and forth, none of the pendulums swinging together. When he returned, Huygens was astonished to discover that all of the pendulums were perfectly synchronized, swinging together tight as Duke Ellington’s rhythm section . Huygens had discovered what we now call entrainment, the tendency of things to vibrate at the same frequency.
Watch entrainment happen before your very eyes

blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 1 2015, 08:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 30 2015, 11:28 PM
GMC:er
Video link didn't work for me but I heard it before. 2-3 weeks ago in a documentary I watched it mentioned they're getting close to the math as to explaining this but basically its the wall or floor that transmits vibration and enables them to sync.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 1 2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks Mertay,
I've embedded a YT now.
I can kind of understand how it happens but I'd like to see what happens if exactly half of the metronomes were started one way and the other half the other way at the same time. I bet they would stay as they are because of equal and opposite forces.
wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 1 2015, 12:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 30 2015, 11:28 PM) *
Video link didn't work for me but I heard it before. 2-3 weeks ago in a documentary I watched it mentioned they're getting close to the math as to explaining this but basically its the wall or floor that transmits vibration and enables them to sync.

The table is not solid as well , therefore it causes slight shifts to cause everything to track. still weird , but , I would like to see it on a solid surface

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 1 2015, 12:48 PM
Yes I noticed that. I think it would still happen on a solid table because vibration is hard to eliminate. Huygens discovered it after leaving pendulum clocks for a long weekend. Maybe on an ultra solid table it would take weeks. It is definitely a proven scientific phenomenon though. Maybe the not so solid table was to speed up the demo?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Awesome! I've never heard about this. It's not exactly on topic but this thread made me remember this movie:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 2 2015, 03:32 PM
What a great demonstration!!
It's a similar concept to what happened with the Millenium Bridge in London. They couldn't understand why it inherited a terrible wobbling effect when in use. They then discovered that it was caused because all the people crossing it tended to fall into step with each other thus causing a regular vibration all along the Bridge which the caused the wobble!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 2 2015, 03:48 PM
When an army crosses a bridge they fall 'out' of step for that very reason.

*Great book ... https://books.google.com/books?id=Bwd-MHINMGsC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:59 AM