Getting Started Building Tones In Thu
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2020, 04:35 AM
GMC:er

I’ve been using the guitar plugin from OVERLOUD for several years and I still love it. I’ve tried em all and keep coming back to this one. There are some AMAZING plugins out there and each one has it’s bis that make it great and perfect for any given user. I was on the original BIAS testing team and still am a huge fan of BIAS. I also love AMPLITUBE for MOBILE. It’s still my fave for mobile due to lack of patch change lag and killer tones/fx etc and pretty simple to use. BIAS mobile is amazing as well due to the depth that it allows in tweaking your tone. Back to OVERLOUD, the most recent version of OVERLOUD is called TH-U. It’s got a new GUI which I must say I don’t love as much as the last GUI but heck, things change. smile.gif One of the big changes in THU is the “RIG PLAYER” which is sort of like the OVERLOUD version of doing a “KEMPERISH” thing where you can sample a given rig and get it down in to one small preset without a million different buttons/variable settings. Many of them sound great, just out of the box and you don’t have to tweak your brains out. Sometimes, tweaking your brains out is fun. Sometimes, no. Still, OVERLOUD is set up to look like an actual guitar setup. It’s got AMPS that look like AMPS and PEDALS that look like PEDALS and RACK GEAR that looks like the rack gear that it is supposed to be. I really like this approach as it lets me see what is happening in a signal path just at a glance. I don’t have to memorize a new set of icons that represent the various bits. That’s all find and dandy, I just don’t prefer it.

Building a custom patch in Overloud THU is very much like building a real guitar rig/setup. You will need to pick an amp, pick at least one guitar cabinet, pick a couple of microphones, pick some pedals and some rack gear. Much in the same way you might grab a tube screamer, a 5150 Amp Head, and a Mesa Boogie Guitar cab, you can do the same thing in OVERLOUD. You simply go through each section and choose which parts you want to be part of your new patch. You can make it as complicated as you like. You can even have two entirely separate signal paths that you can mix with the built in virtual mixer at the end of the signal chain.

You can use OVERLOUD THU by itself, or inside of your DAW. You just need some type of audio interface to get your guitar in to your computer. There is also a mobile version now, but let’s focus on the PC/MAC version for the sake of this post.

STEP 1: PICK AN AMP / CAB
Pick any of the amp sims and it will pull an associated guitar cab with it that is matched in tone. You can always change it later if you don’t like the cab. Try all the amps with the cabs they come with. It will give you a great idea of what a wide array of amps sound like. Many of these were built with the vendor who makes them like DV Mark, Randall and Brunetti (Italian Boutique amps).

STEP 2: PICK A COUPLE OF MICROPHONES
You get two microphones by default and you get a large selection to choose from. Once you decide which microphones you want, you can move them around the cone to get the tone you are looking for. If you have no experience with microphones, this is a good way to get roughly familiar with what mics sound like. You will develop a liking for certain mics as you go. This will translate out to the real world, say in a studio, where you can say “I’d like an SM57 and a Mesa Cab with a 5150 Head”.

STEP 3: CHOOSE SOME EFFECTS
You can pick from stomp boxes and rack effects. It’s a great way to get some experience working with effects. What does each one do, how does it sound? Also you can put it anywhere in the chain, just drag and drop.

This is just the very tip of the iceberg. You can get as deep as you like in to the tone and even swap out the tubes in your amp head. However, it can be overwhelming, so don’t make it to hard on yourself. One quick way to get started is to just run through the presets and see which ones you like and then use those as the start of your own patch. You can create any tone you can think of. If you create a tone you like, please do share it in our OVERLOUD TONE VAULT!!!!

http://bitly.com/THU_Preset_Vault

Here is the PDF file that lays out which models/pieces are based on what real world piece of gear.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Overloud/TH-U/TH-U+Model+List.pdf

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 13 2020, 05:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I missed this, I've just put a similar thing here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61057&hl=

Sorry bud

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2020, 05:33 AM
No worries! Put that post in the OVERLOUD THU preset vault if you would! I'm gonna put mine in there as well smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 13 2020, 12:28 PM) *
I missed this, I've just put a similar thing here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61057&hl=

Sorry bud

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2020, 02:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Done but I can't upload the .ovp file, it says I'm not allowed to upload that type fo file. I've asked Kris about it. I had the same problem trying to upload a sysex file.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 14 2020, 08:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2020, 08:40 AM
You gotta zip / compress the files first, then they will upload wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 14 2020, 09:12 AM) *
Done but I can't upload the .ovp file, it says I'm not allowed to upload that type fo file. I've asked Kris about it. I had the same problem trying to upload a sysex file.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:39 AM