3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Why Modern Music Has Less Guitar Solos?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2012, 11:23 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I have been listening to many new Post Hardcore bands, as well as punk, pop, metal and I always find that there are less guitar solos in the songs nowadays than in the 80's for example. In the case of my band I only add solos to the songs when I feel that they add something extra to the song, not only because it's a must.

What are your thoughts about this??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 17 2012, 01:57 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think it depends on what you mainly listen too. My main focus is Metal, all kinds, all genres, everything about it. And I find that there are plenty of amazing solos out there, and I personally think some of the best lead players have risen to a fame of sorts in just the past decade. With the exception of maybe synchopated style Metal (also called 'Djent') most genres of a healthy dose of guitar solos.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 17 2012, 02:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ever since Nirvana - the solo has been replaced by vocals and rhythm. I think 80's rock is slowly cycling back into fashion though. I'm hearing more of it (the style) mainstream around my neck of the woods.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 16 2012, 09:57 PM) *
I think it depends on what you mainly listen too. My main focus is Metal, all kinds, all genres, everything about it. And I find that there are plenty of amazing solos out there, and I personally think some of the best lead players have risen to a fame of sorts in just the past decade. With the exception of maybe synchopated style Metal (also called 'Djent') most genres of a healthy dose of guitar solos.

yes, it's true, I was talking about the last 20 years mainstream music (pop, rock, New metal, Grunge, Rock). However maybe you can prove that I'm wrong with some examples...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 17 2012, 02:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Yes, I am thinking this too, Gabe. Skillet didn't really have any guitar solos in Awake as they did in Comatose. RED never has guitar solos. But they only have one guitar player right now too.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 16 2012, 10:35 PM) *
Yes, I am thinking this too, Gabe. Skillet didn't really have any guitar solos in Awake as they did in Comatose. RED never has guitar solos. But they only have one guitar player right now too.

Those are two Metal examples... I have been listening to Red yesterday! I love their sound, arrangements and songs. The orchestral arrangements makes the sound epic.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 17 2012, 02:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 17 2012, 02:32 AM) *
Ever since Nirvana - the solo has been replaced by vocals and rhythm. I think 80's rock is slowly cycling back into fashion though. I'm hearing more of it (the style) mainstream around my neck of the woods.

I think that the eighties brought forth such talent , that it got unattainable (shredding) that when Nirvana came along it hit a nerve with the people that still liked to rock but did not ( for one reason or another) play that well.
along with the fact that I think Americans ( and I am an American) are to fickle ( these metal acts are still roaming around Europe)
Americans move one with the trends and what some one else tells them what to like , when they tell them to like shreddy guitar again - They will like it and that will make it more feasible for artists to come out of the shadows and make a little money

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 16 2012, 10:48 PM) *
I think that the eighties brought forth such talent , that it got unattainable (shredding) that when Nirvana came along it hit a nerve with the people that still liked to rock but did not ( for one reason or another) play that well.
along with the fact that I think Americans ( and I am an American) are to fickle ( these metal acts are still roaming around Europe)
Americans move one with the trends and what some one else tells them what to like , when they tell them to like shreddy guitar again - They will like it and that will make it more feasible for artists to come out of the shadows and make a little money

hahaaha the problem is that they won't learn to shred in a few months! laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bluelineman
Jan 17 2012, 05:56 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 16 2012, 07:32 PM) *

Yeah, I was watching "Metal Evolution" on VH1 Classic. A lot of the guys they interviewed said Grunge killed metal. The record companies dumbed down the musicianship in favor of stuff that would sell.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 07:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bluelineman @ Jan 17 2012, 01:56 AM) *
Yeah, I was watching "Metal Evolution" on VH1 Classic. A lot of the guys they interviewed said Grunge killed metal. The record companies dumbed down the musicianship in favor of stuff that would sell.

that a great topic for a new thread man! Can I borrow it? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2012, 12:35 PM
Instructor
I think the term 'solo' has been associated too much with shreddy stuff or dazzling displays of technical prowess smile.gif a solo is a musical statement which can be emphasized in many, many ways. Exactly as Gabe said it, if there's no need for a solo, why put one in? If your song transmits a message in its entirety, a solo is unnecessary in my opinion. People should stop saying music is bad or good, because it has a solo or not biggrin.gif

On Sunday, we had the first ARIA gig - shall write a topic about that immediately biggrin.gif and a lot of people who knew us as members of other bands and projects, came to see us perform. The night was great and it felt incredibly smooth for me, as being the lead vocalist (I was nervous as hell) but the idea is that many people (especially the ones knowing us for being guitarists rather than vocalists) were going: 'Awesome songs man, but too bad you didn't play any solos' laugh.gif

This only proves that some people's vision is kind of distorted - if this is how we evolved - being able to express ourselves without pouring with millions of notes, I see nothing wrong with it smile.gif

Evolution presumes a lot of things, some may see them as bad, some may see them as good. I am only trying to become better and more and more able to use my abilities to better express myself.

What do you guys think?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2012, 12:57 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 17 2012, 12:35 PM) *
I think the term 'solo' has been associated too much with shreddy stuff or dazzling displays of technical prowess smile.gif a solo is a musical statement which can be emphasized in many, many ways. Exactly as Gabe said it, if there's no need for a solo, why put one in?

I agree with this. I think that back in the 80' when lead guitars were allowed to take a lot of space in many different bands - people were mesmerized by the fact that rock guitarists had started practicing chops (just like everyone else had many hundred years earlier).

A decade later I guess people realised the solos needed more than speed to earn their place in strong songs. So I guess what was kept were those solos that sounded cool, fast or slow.

I think this is a symptom of our instrument being very young - one could call it a childhood illness ph34r.gif

Reason for edit: typo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2012, 01:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2012, 11:57 AM) *
I agree with this. I think that back in the 80' when lead guitar were allowed to take a lot of space in many different bands - people were mesmerized by the fact that rock guitarists had started practicing chops (just like everyone else had many hundred years earlier).

A decade later I guess people realised the solos needed more than speed to earn their place in strong songs. So I guess what was kept were those solos that sounded cool, fast or slow.

I think this is a symptom of our instrument being very young - one could call it a childhood illness ph34r.gif

Very well said K-meister! wink.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 17 2012, 02:12 PM
Learning Roadie
I have to admit I agree with Cosmin. I guess I am guilty. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 17 2012, 02:23 PM
In the 80's (in fact, all the way from the late 60's) it was an unwritten rule that the construction of a song had to include a solo spot of some kind whether it be Guitar, Keyboard, Saxa-ma-phone etc.
I actually think that there were certain tracks that were constructed and written around the solo. From the late 70's a new style of playing evolved and, as with anything else, certain people took it to it's limits and therefore their music had to include a solo to prove what pyrotechnics they could do!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 17 2012, 08:35 AM) *
I think the term 'solo' has been associated too much with shreddy stuff or dazzling displays of technical prowess smile.gif a solo is a musical statement which can be emphasized in many, many ways. Exactly as Gabe said it, if there's no need for a solo, why put one in? If your song transmits a message in its entirety, a solo is unnecessary in my opinion. People should stop saying music is bad or good, because it has a solo or not biggrin.gif

On Sunday, we had the first ARIA gig - shall write a topic about that immediately biggrin.gif and a lot of people who knew us as members of other bands and projects, came to see us perform. The night was great and it felt incredibly smooth for me, as being the lead vocalist (I was nervous as hell) but the idea is that many people (especially the ones knowing us for being guitarists rather than vocalists) were going: 'Awesome songs man, but too bad you didn't play any solos' laugh.gif

This only proves that some people's vision is kind of distorted - if this is how we evolved - being able to express ourselves without pouring with millions of notes, I see nothing wrong with it smile.gif

Evolution presumes a lot of things, some may see them as bad, some may see them as good. I am only trying to become better and more and more able to use my abilities to better express myself.

What do you guys think?

That's the same that happens to me with Cirse!! I was tired of hearing people asking me why I don't add more solos... blink.gif It was a bit frustrating because it seemed that nothing was important if you don't add a solo!
The latest album has some solos and people seems to be a bit more comfortable and less worried! hahahah. laugh.gif

Maybe the reason why I do this is because I see my band and the songs as a producer, and even a a listener not as the guitar player. I don't know if this is right or wrong but I try to forget that I'm the player and just try to find the song that I would like to hear, with the parts, the arrangements and structure that would make it a perfect song for me.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 17 2012, 02:39 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Jan 17 2012, 02:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
From several people I know it is because it takes more time to learn to do solos and many are star struck and want to play out or be in a band right away.

I too often here "I am a rhythm player"...I usually respond that I am a musician...there is a big difference. I still stink at soloing but I am working at it, it takes a lot of time and effort.

For pop I always thought Prince had a great balance of vocal leads and soloing in his music.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 03:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Jan 17 2012, 10:48 AM) *
From several people I know it is because it takes more time to learn to do solos and many are star struck and want to play out or be in a band right away.

I too often here "I am a rhythm player"...I usually respond that I am a musician...there is a big difference. I still stink at soloing but I am working at it, it takes a lot of time and effort.

For pop I always thought Prince had a great balance of vocal leads and soloing in his music.

Good point Michael! and yeah, Prince is a very talented artist!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Jan 17 2012, 06:43 PM

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 17 2012, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 16 2012, 05:48 PM) *

I think you are soooo right on there. +1

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:49 PM