Yet Another String Gauge Question, 10-46 in E standard = ???? in D standard?
Wilska
Jan 19 2011, 10:19 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, need your advice.

My main guitar is always in standard E tuning with 10-46 string gauge, it feels perfekt. This guitar is 25.5" scale length.
I want to tune down my other guitar to D (this guitar is shorter 24.75" scale (gibson scale)), and I wonder what string gauge would equal the tension I have on my standard guitar in standard E tuning.

I hope I explain it correctly. The second guitar is tuned to D at the moment with 10-46 strings, and the strings just flap around and feel very loose. I play a lot worse on this guitar because of the strings. It's worst on the low bass strings, but the higher strings also feel very loose.

Is 11-48 too much for D tuning? I remember reading about a 10.5-48 set somewhere, but can't remember what brand they were.

What string gauge do you guys use for D-tuning compared to E-tuning?

Take care

/Mats

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Jan 19 2011, 10:39 PM
Beginner Instructor
I would use 11's if I were you. I've heard of lots of people tuning to Eb when they use 11's and it feels like they're playing with 10's in standard tuning, so I'd imagine that 11's would work out great for dropping to D tuning.

In the worst case scenario, you can always just slap some 10's back on there if the 11's are too much.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 20 2011, 02:08 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I play with 11's on a 25.5 scale neck in D standard and it is a little too loose for my tastes. I'd install bigger strings but (1) I don't want to cut the nut to accommodate the thicker strings and (2) I go back and forth between standard and D standard every single day. On a 25.5 scale neck, 11's work, but its not the best option.

For a Les Paul type guitar I'd say go with 12's, or possibly a hybrid set, i.e. heavy bottom strings thin top strings. Bear in mind you might have to cut the nut.

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Jan 20 2011, 02:09 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 20 2011, 02:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
Try 11s, if they don't work, look for 11.5s or 12s. Should not be a problem at all smile.gif
There is a "calculator" to calculate tension, but its not that important. You shouldnt have any problem smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 20 2011, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I would go for a hybrid set, you top E will still be a 10 but you bottom E (or D in this case) will be thicker.

I usually use a 9 gauge set of strings on all my guitars, but in our band we recently switched tuning to D, the 9`s were far too floppy, the other guitarist in the band switched to 10`s and finds them fine, I switched to a hybrid set keeping my top E (D) as a 9 gauge string, but the set gives me thicker bottom stings, I found it evened out the tension perfectly and I didnt have to adjust my FR trem either.

try out some different combinations to see what you like the best, its mainly down to personal preference at the end of the day.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Wilska
Jan 20 2011, 11:39 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. I'll try to get some 11s in the weekend and let you know how it worked out!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 21 2011, 12:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Wilska @ Jan 20 2011, 11:39 PM) *
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. I'll try to get some 11s in the weekend and let you know how it worked out!

This is the way to go. Just experiment. I think that some kind of hybrid set will be the best option. But if you keep that guitar in D tuning, 11s or possibly event 12s should do the job nicely.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:08 PM