New (unmixed) Song, Europa
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 26 2016, 12:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've just done a quick recording of a new song tonight, same style as my previous ones. I've got a small pointer from a friend though, that sticking to this style might mean I become a sort of boring artist. It has a lot of different parts and time signatures as always, but maybe he's right that sticking to this kinda thing without any hooks etc. might be a bad route to take. I'm not sure whether I've found a niche that I like with this or if I'm heading in the wrong direction now though. Let's see what my next step will be...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Apr 26 2016, 10:40 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 26 2016, 10:46 AM
Learning Roadie

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2016, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Ben, that's a cool track, full of great rhythms and riffs. It's always very helpful to be open to other people's feedback and comments, mostly when these comments are honest and constructive. I can get what your friend says, and I agree that your tracks need more melodic development to be catchier and more attractive. This can be seen like a subjective comment but that's everything you'll get so it's always great to hear as many "subjective" comments as possible in order to create you own "objective" feedback. biggrin.gif

That comment has awaken some thoughts on me regarding on this question that I've done. Which instrumental progressive artists do I like and which can be those things that make me like them?

I'll start with non instrumental:

Dream Theater: The kings of progressive metal, the pioneers, for me the classic ones. They are who introduced me into this style so it was totally new and fresh when I've discovered them with the album Awake, and then my love become bigger with Metropolis Pt 2. Killer musicians with great taste, and catchy songs.

Peryphery's last album: I like it because is sounds NEW, fresh to me and remind me to a similar feeling that I had with Awake. Really hard and powerful songs with catchy vocal melodies.

Intrumental:

Polyphia: I started to like them more with the new album. I think the reason why is a combination of tasty songs, catchy phrasing, great overall sound and guitar tone, and groovy work by bass and drums. It sounds modern to me.

Chon: I like mostly their more melodic/post-rock side, mostly because I love how they use chord voicings. I prefer it over more "virtuoso" songs.

My sleeping karma: It's full of beautiful guitar melodies. Their tracks are long but rarely bored me thanks to the smooth texture evolution and melodic work.

Russian circles: The same than with My Sleeping Karma regarding texture, with the addition of interesting guitar tones created with fuzz effect.

Ok, this can be a "not very clear" feedback but I think that sharing my thoughts here can help.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 26 2016, 06:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
This is a very nice song! You made a great job smile.gif

From my point of view the most important thing is to compose in the style which you feel that represents you. A style that makes you feel good, it's very inspiring for you and brings you happiness.
I don't think that sticking with this kind of style you can become a sort of a boring artist. This thing can be avoided in many ways:
- always develop your composition skills and add something new in each song
- don't compose songs using a similar structure
- come with new sounds
- also, as Gab already said find a very catchy melodic line, something that can’t be forgotten after the song ends (I'm sure you can do this easily).

What I think your friend feels as a lack, is diversity between your songs. This can be easily solved wink.gif

The true is that this kind of space-ish progressive metal it's one of the less commercial genres. I'm sure you know very well this thing. Always playing a style which is not for everyone it will not make things easier. All that matter it's what you really want, what you like and which are your interests.

I saw you playing different styles and you have awesome skills to compose in any style you wish. You are a good musician and this is the most important thing. Just listen to your heart and I'm sure the things will go in a very good direction wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Apr 26 2016, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2016, 07:23 PM
GMC:er
It sure works for me smile.gif Reminds me a bit of dream theatre in parts, which is always a good thing IMHO smile.gif Not boring for folks that are in to Proggy instrumental music it seems. But proggy and or instrumental isn't everyone's cup of tea. some folks don't like either. Some folks don't listen to instrumental rock/metal at all (per Marty Friedman's quote). But if you did want to open it up to a broader audience, you could always put some hookier bits in there as something to return to every so often (work's for Satrianni) or even maybe add vocals (gasp). Speaking of vocals, we talked about this a bit before, but it's important to have something that makes it different from other stuff to make it stick out (beyond the musicality of course). I think I suggested singing in your Mother Tongue, or using bit's of very old folk music to derive the "hooks" from. Not saying go "Folk Metal" as there is plenty of that, just maybe using some traditional melodies in the chorus to give it some Danish flavor smile.gif Here is a bit of "modern" Danish folks music that I like for an example. I"m not sure if you've heard this or not.

*the owner of the vid won't let it be embedded so you gotta bop to youtube to see it
https://youtu.be/ItHj5bw8RRY

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 26 2016, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 26 2016, 10:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for all the awesome comments, guys! I really appreciate them smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:00 AM