32 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2018, 01:21 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/adamsbootcamp
Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 15 2018, 01:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 6 2018, 01:53 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2018, 07:57 AM
Welcome to Bootcamp Adam!!! You are on your way to Earning Your Stripes!!!! Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Well Done on your mute technique. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. Is this your normal technique or did you read me going on about this in a post somewhere? Either way, NICE!!!
*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues. You have very tight right/left hand synch!
*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging.

These first few Missions are not likely to challenge you very much but that's OK as they are just designed to get you familiar with the process. As you go forward, the Missions will get harder and harder as you get better and better.

In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 6 2018, 08:53 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 8 2018, 07:58 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 14 2018, 10:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you for kind words!

Here is my take on second lesson, again 150 bpm. I just noticed the picking hand is barely visible but it's pretty much the same as on first lesson. I did my very best to get a quick recording just before the nighttime. I can re-record it tomorrow if that's problem but I could also upload lesson 3 tomorrow afternoon - it doesn't look like something I've never done before smile.gif

As I said in the other topic, I'll be buying the interface - probably Scarlett 2i2 - but in that case I'll have to wait until next month. I don't earn that much doing both university and part-time job, so the tablet's camera will have to do for now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2018, 11:23 PM
Good to see you in the Fight Soldier!! The video quality is more than ok. As long as I can see and hear you are good to go!!! If you ever get the desire to do more than one at a time, it's ok. Some folks prefer it. Honestly whatever works for you is what works for me Soldier!! Let's debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Jumping in with aggressive style!! Score!!
You clearly have all the elements well in hand Soldier. You are ready for what awaits you!
You just ...
LEVELED UP!!!!
These missions will get more complex as you go. The first several are really foundational. It's good to see you are comfortable with most important techniques!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 14 2018, 05:11 PM) *
Thank you for kind words!

Here is my take on second lesson, again 150 bpm. I just noticed the picking hand is barely visible but it's pretty much the same as on first lesson. I did my very best to get a quick recording just before the nighttime. I can re-record it tomorrow if that's problem but I could also upload lesson 3 tomorrow afternoon - it doesn't look like something I've never done before smile.gif

As I said in the other topic, I'll be buying the interface - probably Scarlett 2i2 - but in that case I'll have to wait until next month. I don't earn that much doing both university and part-time job, so the tablet's camera will have to do for now.

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 16 2018, 10:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's my next video. For this one I stayed at 130 bpm and (I'm sorry for that!) I had the metronome in the headphones. For some reason that made it much easier for me but also its clicking is a bit loud and it's late hour. Honestly, I believed it would be much easier, guess it's descending run for a reason smile.gif
-Adam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2018, 05:48 AM
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: Solid picking technique. The picking is really the core of everything we are going to be doing so it's great to see you have a good handle on it!!!

*MUTING: Without a solid palm mute, all is lost. Your palm mute is spot on and no string noise is escaping. Keep that up!!!!!

*SYNCH: Keeping your right/left hand synch is another crucial part of this. You've got very solid hand synch and you are ready for what's next!!!
In other words you just.....
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 16 2018, 05:40 PM) *
Here's my next video. For this one I stayed at 130 bpm and (I'm sorry for that!) I had the metronome in the headphones. For some reason that made it much easier for me but also its clicking is a bit loud and it's late hour. Honestly, I believed it would be much easier, guess it's descending run for a reason smile.gif
-Adam

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 17 2018, 11:00 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't like my performance here. I recorded that after 48 hrs with almost no sleep but still, I did it. 140bpm today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2018, 05:21 AM
Nice!!!!!! Soldier this is impressive. Mission 3 is a chance for me to really look at your precision and synch. mission 4 is a good chance to see what your endurance is like. The video is fine for our purposes here but it a pinch dark ( a bit more light wouldn't hurt) and your pick hand is mostly in the shot but if you backed up just a pinch I could see more of it which would be handy smile.gif
Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: Keeping a steady palm mute without moving your pick hand all over the place is key. You have a good and centered technique here. keep that up!
*PICKING STEADY ON: Your picking is very even and solid as it should be. If your picking rushes or drags, it will ruin your ability to play briskly with precision. Great to see your picking is solid and steady!! This will serve you well as you work on your speed.
*ENDURANCE: I have not had a chance to really see your endurance on display until Mission 4 and I'm impressed. This Mission is one that can burn your arm off if you are not doing it correctly which is sorta the point of Mission 4. if one tries this mission using the STIFF ARM picking technique, for example, it won't last long.

You are doing very well in these foundational Missions. Keep going!! They will keep getting harder as you go but you are more than ready Soldier!! In other words you just.... LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 17 2018, 06:00 PM) *
I don't like my performance here. I recorded that after 48 hrs with almost no sleep but still, I did it. 140bpm today.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 18 2018, 05:21 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 25 2018, 10:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Here is my take on the next mission. To be frank, I had a gut feeling it will be a milk run. I was right. The previous mission took me some time but this one I did with no practice at all. I'm not proud of it because maybe I should practice at a higher tempo or something. But then, the nighttime was near and I really wanted to turn it in smile.gif It's in 120 bpm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2018, 10:44 PM
Nice!! The speed is more than fine. There is never a speed requirement in bootcamp. Speed is just a byproduct of precision. You will get more precise as you get more Missions under your belt. You are better off completing more missions and expanding your musical vocabulary than spending too much time trying to bump up the speed on a single mission. Each Mission will add something to y our skill set. You will notice that you just start getting faster as you go through them. smile.gif

This one is about handy synch and picking and you did great on both. Let's debrief! Also, the lighting is much better smile.gif I don't mind if vids are dark, as sometimes, folks have to shoot with a cell phone at night and don't want to wake folks up. It's always handy to have more light if possible wink.gif

Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: String Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident. Well done!!
*PACE:It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.
*ARTICULATION: You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well. I would suggest trying to reduce the overall range of pick motion just to keep things as minimal as possible which reduces the amount of time required to make the next pick strike.
You killed this one, you just...... LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 25 2018, 05:13 PM) *
Here is my take on the next mission. To be frank, I had a gut feeling it will be a milk run. I was right. The previous mission took me some time but this one I did with no practice at all. I'm not proud of it because maybe I should practice at a higher tempo or something. But then, the nighttime was near and I really wanted to turn it in smile.gif It's in 120 bpm.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 25 2018, 10:46 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 27 2018, 05:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's the mission #6 smile.gif After a warmup i had fun. I was used to a different pattern and had no idea that these patterns are pedal points too.

It seems my hand can reach this many frets with no major issues but if I were to fret just one position further (17th), there would be a problem. This is also a reason I have bad time learning JB's Altitudes (sweep section). Will my hand stretch accordingly as I progress or should I make some extra effort? I know this is one of the reasons it's best to start playing as a child, when one's still growing but then, I was worried I wouldn't be able to play on higher frets at all with my big hands and now it's alright.

For the second exercise I lowered the tempo and used triplet option in the metronome. I just couldn't play it with regular clicking. I'll look for mobile version that can do that, so I can put it in the video as well.

Edit: I also put my amp on a chair this time which makes it about equal height as recording tablet. Is it any better now, regarding trebles and stuff?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Nov 27 2018, 05:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 27 2018, 10:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm back! And this time, I bring not one video but two smile.gif
#7 is in 120bpm and #8 is 140 bpm, IIRC

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2018, 02:58 AM
Well Done!! This is exactly what I want out of this Mission. You nailed it! let's debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: Your doing great on your Alternate Picking here. It's consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not a problem here!!!
SYNCH: Right/Left hand synch is the core of this drill. If your synch is off, the entire thing will fall apart. Again, not a problem here! Your synch is spot on!
Sound is much improved and lighting is better! Score!! Your finger stretch will get better as you go but I'd say try to stretch before you practice as a warmup, and after you practice as a cooldown. Here are my standard stretches. STOP if you feel any pain. Don't think you have to stretch as far as I am. I've been stretching a long time. It will take time.

For now, well done you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 27 2018, 05:37 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 28 2018, 03:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2018, 03:46 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is exactly what I hoped to see. This drill requires intense single string work and Alternate Picking. It also requires you play single strike and an asymetrical single/double strike pattern. Learning to use both strike patterns will serve you well in the Wars to come and you nailed it!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
ALTERNATE PICKING MADNESS - Alternate Picking is the core of these drills. If you alt picking is weak, this will show it. Good news is your alt picking is quite strong. Nice!!

TRAVERSE IN STYLE - In addition to Alternate picking, this requires nearly non stop string traverse. Each time you switch strings, you risk missing the strike, or catching the pick on the string and missing a beat. Not you!! Smooth as glass!

SILENT AS DEATH - Palm muting is always critical. Any gaps in the mute and string noise raises it's ugly head. Not here!! Quiet as a mouse!!
Great job on these. You have a solid picking technique, good muting and traverse. You are ready for the WARS TO COME Soldier!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 27 2018, 05:37 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2018, 03:55 AM
MISSION 8 DEBRIEF

MEDALS OF HONOR

TRAVERSE OF KINGS You may have noticed that these licks have a LOT of string traverse. This is something that many players struggle with. Often, the pick will snag on a string an ruin the bit. By looping the drill I get to see if you have the endurance to play at pace and not miss a strike/fret/etc. The good news is you didn't miss a thing!!

SOLID PACING
Any looping lick like these is about pacing. It's giving you a chance to rush or lag depending on which part of the bit is easy to play. It takes control to play it all at the same pace. Nice!!

ALT PICKING FROM HELL Pretty much non stop alternate picking. This is a "shred lick" so it's a good one to work up speed on. You can do it in "bursts" ala Ben Higgins on your way to being able to play the entire thing in a bit loop at break neck pace ala Paul Gilbert. Score!!

In short you made short work of it Soldier!! You are ready for the wars to come!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 1 2018, 10:15 PM
Learning Roadie
It's maybe a bit too early, not a whole week passed, but I don't think I'll improve much in the next few days.
110 bpm was the fastest tempo I could push and it wasn't as perfect as I want it to be. I need to use an online metronome with triplet clicks. I'll probably get used to triplets with the most basic metronome pattern over time but for now it confuses me instead.

I'm waiting for the buyer to receive my pickup and pay C.O.D. and I'll use that money to buy a replacement, so for now I'm stuck with the other guitar (loaded with PAFs) but it turned out to be just fine for the Bootcamp smile.gif

I watched some other students' takes on this mission and I'm horrified by how fast they can go. It just motivated me even more to progress quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2018, 04:20 AM
MISSION 9 DEBRIEF

Well Fought Soldier!!!! It's always a good day to make a new Mission Vid!!! Great to see you are digging in with aggression!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

SNIPER Picking with the the tactical precision of a Sniper. It's good to see! Never hitting the wrong strike, always making a clean hit. keep that up!!
CONSISTENCY This is the most important thing you can do and your doing it well. Being able to play with consistent pace, strikes, hand synch, is crucial. You've shown great ability with it thus far. Keep that up too!!
MUTE TO KILL Also crucial is a good palm mute. One that covers the entire bridge so that you dont have to lean on the left hand for muting strings. This way you can play open string licks and wads of other things without worrying about string noise. Nice!!
You are getting the fundamentals down Soldier!!! Keep this up!! You are on a roll. keep that going to!! Keep putting them and I"ll keep debriefing. Don't be thrown off by the speed you see others playing at. Everyone, I mean everyone, had to start at square one at some point. The more Missions you complete, the better you'll get. Keep going!
You just ...
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Sarge
"m
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 1 2018, 05:15 PM) *
It's maybe a bit too early, not a whole week passed, but I don't think I'll improve much in the next few days.
110 bpm was the fastest tempo I could push and it wasn't as perfect as I want it to be. I need to use an online metronome with triplet clicks. I'll probably get used to triplets with the most basic metronome pattern over time but for now it confuses me instead.

I'm waiting for the buyer to receive my pickup and pay C.O.D. and I'll use that money to buy a replacement, so for now I'm stuck with the other guitar (loaded with PAFs) but it turned out to be just fine for the Bootcamp smile.gif

I watched some other students' takes on this mission and I'm horrified by how fast they can go. It just motivated me even more to progress quickly.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 3 2018, 04:22 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 5 2018, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Blood, sweat and tears. Well, not exactly but close. After about 2 hours of recording session I did a clean run. At first, I felt my endurance being put to test. Left hand was uncomfortable until I got used to it, much later. I probably should take a break or two and cool down a bit but I had quite a nice streak there. THough, later I started feeling frustrated a bit and started making silly mistakes. The worst were those when my finger slipped at the last two notes, literally.

Nobody said it would be a milk run but that's how it works. Here's mission 10:

PS.
I tried playing a few parts of Stream of Consciousness and there's this main riff where the fingers cover 2 notes across half the fretboard. After a warm-up and a moment of practice, I got it! It's more extreme stretching than Arpeggios From Hell! I can't play this progression smoothly but I can play the separate chords relatively clean! smile.gif

PS2.
I also browsed Quick Licks section and I decided to give it a try when I have a moment. Is it okay if I do each one twice: once just to play it properly and twice in higher tempo after a few months of progress? I think they are only graded once, so I'm asking if you could make an exception in my case?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 5 2018, 05:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 6 2018, 06:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Next mission might appear tonight. At first it was a pain to memorize. Then I tried grouping the notes by 4 and it was better. Then I played your video and when I heard you play it, I got the pattern at once!

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:38 AM