I Am Demoralised!
badfingers93
Jul 6 2010, 05:24 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone...i have been practicing my scales lately and i'm kinda demoralised...i've been practicing with a metronome at 150bpm for about a week now with 1-2 hrs a day. I take note of how clean i am playing, my left and right hand muting, right hand movements for alternate picking etc. and i must say i probably made some improvements. However there are times where i get sloppy and still constantly making mistakes(string noises etc.). Which makes me wonder how long does it take to actually master a certain technique? I get bored at times because it feels as if it takes forever to progress. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by badfingers93: Jul 6 2010, 05:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 6 2010, 05:36 PM
Instructor
i would stop caring for the metronome like a week or two, play along with your favorite records, even if you can't play the songs 100% accurate, doesn't matter, have fun!!

guitar learning is stressing in a lot of ways, but when it is too much just leave the guitar on the case for a week or two and play some games, go out, watch tv, let your brain process everything you learnt and then get back.

it happens to me as a songwriter all the time, i can be block for 3 months, but after some rest, some party and some family i come back to the studio and shoot 1, 2 or 3 killer riffs that ends being good songs!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 6 2010, 05:39 PM
Instructor
find songs that you enjoy and try to leran them,

that's how I did it to improve my technique

stop the Facebook a bit tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 6 2010, 05:50 PM
Jazz Instructor
Mistakes like string noises and similar, means that you must practice slower, I think 150 bps is too fast.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 6 2010, 09:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Jul 6 2010, 09:24 AM) *
*snip* Which makes me wonder how long does it take to actually master a certain technique?

It's different for everyone, but consider the fact that most of the incredible players you'll see on videos, with amazing speed and control, started playing in their early teens - which means by the time they hit 23, they've been playing for ten years already. All the greats out there, from Marty Friedman, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, ad-infonitem, have been playing for well over 20 years.

Do yourself a favor and don't stress about it. Do your daily regiment at a pace that is slow enough to be clean, and try to bump up the speed to press your limits, but don't get caught up on "I should be this fast by now" - guitar is not a quick sport to learn.

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 6 2010, 09:34 PM
Learning Roadie
This is good advice guys! You remind me to take it easy when learning guitar. Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Startear
Jul 6 2010, 09:58 PM
You can't just constantly practice technique. If you don't try to learn some songs you really like, at least from time to time, as Daniel said, you'll never be motivated enough concentrate on boring, but useful exercises. Personal experience wink.gif Good Luck biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Jul 7 2010, 02:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Try playing some Funk Rhythm. Start of with the easier stuff and then move up. This will help for sure. I skipped playing Rhythm and went straight for scales and single string solo stuff when I started playing. Soon I hit a wall and stayed there forever until I finally started playing Rhythm and then I noticed that my speed made a huge jump forward. Also besides Funk check out some of Adrian's stuff on this site it is really good. Just make sure when you play rhythm that you learn to count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 while you strum also tap your foot. Once I started practicing this way and learning when a chord was on the 1 or on the & it made a huge difference. This is also a big advantage when learning new songs. If you have the Sheet Music you can break it down in that method and it will help you learn the song much faster.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Jul 8 2010, 04:54 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! I now realised that it takes a long time to master a certain technique and should not rush or be stressed about it. I'll take it one step at a time. Just one more question, if i'm practicing technique, should i keep practicing it at a certain tempo until i master it before i speed up the metronome or just keep pushing myself daily?

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 6 2010, 08:25 PM) *
It's different for everyone, but consider the fact that most of the incredible players you'll see on videos, with amazing speed and control, started playing in their early teens - which means by the time they hit 23, they've been playing for ten years already. All the greats out there, from Marty Friedman, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, ad-infonitem, have been playing for well over 20 years.

Do yourself a favor and don't stress about it. Do your daily regiment at a pace that is slow enough to be clean, and try to bump up the speed to press your limits, but don't get caught up on "I should be this fast by now" - guitar is not a quick sport to learn.

Christian A.

Hi there Christian. Thanks a lot for your great advice, i really appreciate it. Just one question, if were to decide to practice my technique, should i stick to a certain tempo and master it before speeding up? (playing it clean and accurately) or should i push myself daily?

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 8 2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I absolutely understand what you are going through. I feel the same all the time. I practiced the same lesson 2-6 hours a day or even more I guess for 2 straight months (you will think I m crazy or lying but I m really not) and I still couldn't play it 100% right. I have been practicing seriously for over a year and been playing like for 16 years. I m right now practicing another lesson 2 straight weeks with no other lesson and I still can't get it right. This happens to all I guess. Even big players make mistakes but we are just not as good as them and we don't notice the mistakes they make hence we think they are perfect. biggrin.gif

But this is what happens. Every thing comes with practice and time. It doesn't come without or earlier as you wished. I had to take 2 straight hours of takes to take 1 good take of video of 30 secs when I started a year ago. Now its down to like 30 mins to even lesser depending on how hard the lesson is. For simpler lesson, I can do it in 2-5 takes (well after practicing for a week or 2) wink.gif.

So, the bottom line is just don't freaking care about it. Just keep on practicing but do analyse your playing and correct them, perhaps breaking it down, practicing just that bit for a day or so. I bet you, when you come back to it the next day or perhaps after 2 days, you will find it easier and note to note sounds. I have experienced this myself.

Have patience! and if you really feel like giving up, take a break for a day or two, listen to other inspiring artists (like Andy Timmons, I have been his new fan), see others play and come back with a bang. smile.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jul 8 2010, 07:32 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Jul 8 2010, 03:39 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jul 8 2010, 06:26 AM) *
I absolutely understand what you are going through. I feel the same all the time. I practiced the same lesson 2-6 hours a day or even more I guess for 2 straight months (you will think I m crazy or lying but I m really not) and I still couldn't play it 100% right. I have been practicing seriously for over a year and been playing like for 16 years. I m right now practicing another lesson 2 straight weeks with no other lesson and I still can't get it right. This happens to all I guess. Even big players make mistakes but we are just not as good as them and we don't notice the mistakes they make hence we think they are perfect. biggrin.gif

But this is what happens. Every thing comes with practice and time. It doesn't come without or earlier as you wished. I had to take 2 straight hours of takes to take 1 good take of video of 30 secs when I started a year ago. Now its down to like 30 mins to even lesser depending on how hard the lesson is. For simpler lesson, I can do it in 2-5 takes (well after practicing for a week or 2) wink.gif.

So, the bottom line is just don't freaking care about it. Just keep on practicing but do analyse your playing and correct them, perhaps breaking it down, practicing just that bit for a day or so. I bet you, when you come back to it the next day or perhaps after 2 days, you will find it easier and note to note sounds. I have experienced this myself.

Have patience! and if you really feel like giving up, take a break for a day or two, listen to other inspiring artists (like Andy Timmons, I have been his new fan), see others play and come back with a bang. smile.gif

thank you so much maharzan...i admire your perseverance and positive attitude. I'm definitely not gonna give up..just gonna take it step by step...

This post has been edited by badfingers93: Jul 8 2010, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 8 2010, 06:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Hi there Christian. Thanks a lot for your great advice, i really appreciate it. Just one question, if were to decide to practice my technique, should i stick to a certain tempo and master it before speeding up? (playing it clean and accurately) or should i push myself daily?

Yes to both. Master the tempo, then raise it. By this I mean, find your maximum clean-playing speed for that piece you're working on and use that as your safe-speed, then raise the tempo by 4, and try a while at that speed, then go back to 100 before ending your practice on that item to ensure you end the day on a good note.

Speed bursts are a good way as well. In this method, you take your maxim clean playing speed and increase it by 4 or 8. Then adjust your playing speed so that you're playing at 3/4 or 6/8 speed at that tempo, then do a burst so you're playing at tempo speed. The burst to full tempo is forcing you to play 4 to 8 bpm faster than your max clean-speed, but only for a short burst, before you slow back down to a comfortable slow/clean speed.

Check out a great example of this via Muris' lesson here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-speed-bursts/

Don't try to push it faster than you can play it cleanly though. Over time, (and it takes time), you'll find that precision is what dictates much of your speed. You'll also find that one day you can play it cleanly at a fast speed, then mysteriously the next day, you have to slow down because you're fumbling notes - it's wierd, but very common - you have good days and bad days physically/mentally. Patience and determination are the only ways to hurdle these obstacles.

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Jul 8 2010, 06:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just wanted to add one more bit of advice. I have been working on playing like paul gilbert and other shredders over the last 4 years and one thing that I have come to realize is that when you hit a wall and cannot make any more progress its usually because you are lacking in a particular area. The problem is that the scale you are working on or the lick you are trying to master is not helping you very much with whatever it is you are lacking. And the thing that makes it most difficult is that its not always obvious if its your picking or your finger dexterity or any other of a number of possible issues. It can be very elusive. That is why there are so many people making money selling a quick fix. You know all the adds that say master the guitar in a week etc. Anyway back to the point. You need to work on all the known skills. Picking, Finger Dexterity, Rhythm etc. Thats why sometimes you can give up on a particular piece you are trying to learn and then go back to it 6 months later and suddenly play it much better. Its because you probably played some stuff over that 6 months that was different maybe you did some legato or some heavy riffs who knows but in the end it helped you become a more rounded player. Like I said in my earlier post. I gave up on working on scales non stop and started learning how to play rhythm and chord shapes after a month or two I went back to some of my old scale drills and I was playing about 20% faster and more efficient. Its because I developed my timing and sense of rhythm in a way that I could not by just playing scales to a metronome. I could go on and on about this but I think you get the point. smile.gif

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 9 2010, 03:41 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
To add to Fingerspasm, here is what you can try to. Experiment. Whenever I get tired or bored with practice, I go watch other guitarists on YouTube. In one of Gilbert videos, he says he found out how easy it was to shred when he angled his pick a bit. Perhaps you can find what works best for you. Relaxing fingers. When you are doing it super fast, all your hands get stiff so perhaps that is refraining you from crossing that limit. You will have to find your own way to get best out of the guitar. What works best for others might not work exactly for you.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 9 2010, 12:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Jul 8 2010, 05:54 AM) *
Thank you everyone for your help! I now realised that it takes a long time to master a certain technique and should not rush or be stressed about it. I'll take it one step at a time. Just one more question, if i'm practicing technique, should i keep practicing it at a certain tempo until i master it before i speed up the metronome or just keep pushing myself daily?

I think you should concentrate on mastering a certain tempo before going to the faster one. Make sure you play it correct in time, clean and with a dose of comfort then you can go on to the faster one. If you can't play it on a slower tempo nice and clean you won't be able at faster nigher. Though from time to time its ok to challenge yourself to get a feel for even faster tempo, but then once you do - get back to the one you were on until you master it. Also make sure that you make small increments like 1-2-3bpm at a time depending on the tempo you are on. The faster you get the smaller increasing will be.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:59 PM