> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

45 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Cael's Composition Workouts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2016, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael! This is GREAT!! The video looks fantastic! Audio is also really good, there is only some line noise when you are no playing that would be fixed with a noise gate. What are you using for lightening?

The software sounds interesting, I'll learn more about it.

About the structure. I'm now working on a new way to give custom assignment, have you seen it? Maybe we can do something like that. It's giving really cool results.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2016, 02:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 5 2016, 03:25 PM) *
Hi Cael! This is GREAT!! The video looks fantastic! Audio is also really good, there is only some line noise when you are no playing that would be fixed with a noise gate. What are you using for lightening?

The software sounds interesting, I'll learn more about it.

About the structure. I'm now working on a new way to give custom assignment, have you seen it? Maybe we can do something like that. It's giving really cool results.

Yeah, I usually use a noisegate, but it was too aggressive for what I was doing just before recording the video, so I turned it off. Just didn't think about putting it on again.

I've tried making a schedule, or the start of it, trying to get everything I want incorporated in it. I don't know if you can open it, it's Excel 2007. It's geared towards lead playing smile.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7885159...ema%202016.xlsx

It probably looks a bit complicated. I want to be able to write the time I've spent on each exercise, the BPM I've reached, if I've actually done the exercise and what exercise it was, if that makes sense.

There is still room for alterations to it, but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible, but I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, in regards to your custom assigments. How does that work? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 5 2016, 11:44 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2016, 04:41 PM
Instructor
You can explore it here: LINK 1 and here: LINK 2

The excel table looks very good. It's very complete and seems to be a good trick to stay focused and organized. I've seen an APP for this shared at the thread you've started about music apps, do you remember it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2016, 04:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 6 2016, 05:41 PM) *
You can explore it here: LINK 1 and here: LINK 2

The excel table looks very good. It's very complete and seems to be a good trick to stay focused and organized. I've seen an APP for this shared at the thread you've started about music apps, do you remember it?

Thanks, I will check them out.

I remember someone posted an app like that, but I think it was for iPad/iPhone, was it not? I have an android unfortunately smile.gif

EDIT: I checked them out. What do you think we could work on? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 6 2016, 05:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2016, 05:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 6 2016, 12:45 PM) *
Thanks, I will check them out.

I remember someone posted an app like that, but I think it was for iPad/iPhone, was it not? I have an android unfortunately smile.gif

EDIT: I checked them out. What do you think we could work on? smile.gif

mm yeah, maybe. I don't remember well.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2016, 01:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just to ask again, as I don't know if the question got lost in my previous post. How do you think we could work on some technique stuff? That's what I'm most focused on these days, trying to get my lead playing back up again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2016, 09:24 PM
Instructor
The best is to set diary plans with weekly and monthly goals. How much time do you have for technique practice every day?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2016, 09:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2016, 10:24 PM) *
The best is to set diary plans with weekly and monthly goals. How much time do you have for technique practice every day?

In all fairness I have like 10 hours available each day, but motivation will not hold up for maybe more than 1-2 hours at the moment. Not for concentrated practice anyway.

Maybe we could work on something that could help me develop skills in the neo classical area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2016, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Yes, some musical lessons can help in this direction. Then, you can isolate the tricky sections and work on them as technique exercises.

That Rick Graham Bach arrangement is totally killer, why don't you work on it?

Or here are some suggestions.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Neocla...cal-Approaches/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Neoclassical-Etude/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/w-a-mo...-turkish-march/

We can choose one of these and set a deadline of 7 days to share a take here. What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2016, 10:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 7 2016, 11:11 PM) *
Yes, some musical lessons can help in this direction. Then, you can isolate the tricky sections and work on them as technique exercises.

That Rick Graham Bach arrangement is totally killer, why don't you work on it?

Or here are some suggestions.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Neocla...cal-Approaches/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Neoclassical-Etude/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/w-a-mo...-turkish-march/

We can choose one of these and set a deadline of 7 days to share a take here. What do you think?

I would like to work on the Bach piece for sure. The tabs are available on Rick's website smile.gif It's a long piece, so it will probably be tricky to remember.

I like the first lesson you posted there. It seems doable and will probably give me some momentum. I would of course like to learn the others, but especially Turkish March seems difficult smile.gif

Just wanted to add that maybe soon I will have less time, as I will be going into some "work experience" at some places with people who come for advice and a talk about big and small problems. It will be great, and it will only be 10-15 hours a week, but it will probably be tough to begin with for me, and I will maybe feel less motivated to do other things, or maybe it will be reverse and I will feel very motivated smile.gif We'll see!

What about this lesson maybe?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/

Or too hard?

EDIT instead of new post: On yet another note, I'm sitting here trying to understand the rules of classical composition (no parallel octaves, no parallel fifths etc.), and I think I understand the rules, but it's so hard to apply them. I made a little progression and added some arpeggios. Do you remember or understand enough about classical compositions to know if I did this wrong or right? smile.gif

Attached File  C_minor_Progression_With_Arpeggios.gp5 ( 4.52K ) Number of downloads: 61

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 8 2016, 02:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2016, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael, that lesson by Marcus is excellent. It can be a bit tricky but if it motivates you to practice I think that it's ok. You always can use slower backings to make the whole thing sound until you reach the required tempo.

I'll be back about the classical piece since I don't have Guitar Pro on this computer. I've studied the classical/barroque compositions rules in the past but I don't remember it very well. I remember using Bach's chordales as reference to study. Do you have any article or text about it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2016, 02:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'd like to work on it for sure as one thing, and then maybe also work on composing some classical progressions for neo classical stuff with all the rules and all that.

I can post it on an online note-site if you want me to. I also tried making another progression, but I just couldn't get it right. Such things as "no parallel fifths" and "no parallel octaves" along with contrary motion in bass and tenor, alto and soprano. It's tricky smile.gif
I don't have any articles as such, I am just following the course on Coursera and using what I've learned there, but even though I know the rules, it's hard to apply them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2016, 02:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm just trying to work on some progressions and doing it according to the rules, and it's SO difficult biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 9 2016, 12:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've realised I have some parallel fifths in there between voices. I don't think that's okay either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2016, 08:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael, unfortunately I can help you with this at this moment. It's been a lot of time since I've studied this composition rules and I honestly never used them too much. I've always trusted on my ear when connecting of chords in guitar/piano or arrangements for different instruments. By the way this is something that I would like to refresh so maybe I can help you then.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 9 2016, 08:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
It's totally okay smile.gif I can share my work in here and what I learn anyway. Meanwhile maybe we can start working on the two neoclassical etudes by Marcus Lavendell? Does that sound okay?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2016, 08:22 PM
Instructor
Yes! That sounds perfect to me. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 9 2016, 08:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Can we set this up with goals, dates etc.? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2016, 11:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
So from what I've learned so far:

Things to avoid:

- Parallel fifths (two fifths each in their own chord following each other)
- Parallel octaves (two octaves each in the own chord following each other)
- Augmented 2nds (jump of an augmented 2nd)
- Octave by contrary motion (such as bass/tenor both singing the same note, then jumping into two notes that are an octave apart)
- Fifth by contrary motion (same as above, but with a fifth)
- Direct/hidden octaves or fifths (that is jumping or leaping, instead of moving by step, into an octave/fifth), but this only applies to outer voices (bass and soprano)
- Avoid doubling the lead tone (as this leads to parallel octaves)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2016, 10:05 PM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT #1:

Goals:

- Neoclassical approaches
- Sweep Picking Training

TASK 1:

- Let's cover this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/
- Learn one new part each day and practice it. Always dedicate some time each day to play the parts learnt the previous days.

TASK 2:

- Analyze what's happening in the lesson regarding music theory. Write down the chords, scales and arpeggios used at each moment.

Exam and deadline:

By August 20th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing each part of the lesson over metronome at the faster tempo you can play it clean, you don't need to combine them (3 coins)
- A video playing the whole lesson over one of the backing tracks between 100 and 140 (4 coins)
- A text with a theory analysis of the solo (3 coins)

Each of these submits will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call" that would be the last one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:42 AM