2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Walking On Water - Is This Possible?
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2012, 09:42 AM
Instructor
Guys, I have stumbled upon this incredible video - I honestly wish it was real, but somehow, SOMEHOW, it seems to me that it's only a commercial/ viral vid for these shoes laugh.gif

What do you think?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Aug 31 2012, 10:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Mythbuster explanation.

SPOILERYes it is a viral ad. SPOILERBut still a cool video.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 31 2012, 10:11 AM
Instructor
Yeah, Korbliz has beaten me to it but here's the company themselves talking about it

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 31 2012, 10:13 AM
GMC:er
The good old question: Could Jesus really walk on water, is it even possible?

Well it's unknown if he did, but yes, it's entirely possible.
There's over 1,200 creatures which still do walk on water today.

The tiniest creatures are gliders. Insects, such as water striders, and spiders, such as fisher spiders, can glide or scamper across the surface of water. These critters are small enough that their weight can be supported almost entirely by surface tension, the relatively weak forces that hold water molecules together. Larger creatures are slappers. Surface tension forces are too weak to support the weight of a larger body.

The basilisk lizard, for instance, can dash at speeds of more than five feet per second by slapping the water with its hind feet. Its downward stroke pushes water away from its leg, creating a tiny air pocket around its foot, against which it pushes off.

So what about some larger creatures? There are even some tail-walking dolphins which strike across the surface of the water with enough force and speed to keep their heavier bodies from going under.

It would even be possible for a human. I wouldn't call it myth busted just yet.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 31 2012, 10:18 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 31 2012, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Aug 31 2012, 10:13 AM) *
It would even be possible for a human. I wouldn't call it myth busted just yet.

Well the Liquid Mountaineering myth is definitely busted but as for the walking on water thing, I like to think that anything's possible.. I don't know enough about physics to prove or disprove but the human mind has proven many times it's capable of acts beyond our preconceptions.. who knows ? It's a nice thought

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2012, 01:00 PM
Instructor
It would be an extremely nice dream, the likes of flying, for me at least smile.gif I was dreaming about flight since early childhood! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 31 2012, 01:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2012, 04:42 AM) *
Guys, I have stumbled upon this incredible video - I honestly wish it was real, but somehow, SOMEHOW, it seems to me that it's only a commercial/ viral vid for these shoes laugh.gif
What do you think?

Cosmin

I'm so disappointed. I wanted it to be real. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2012, 02:37 PM
Instructor
The first video looks so real, and I was starting to believe that it was possible but then I was the myth buster and I felt very disappointed!! sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 08:12 PM
Instructor
Guys....I felt in the exact same way... I WANTED IT TO BE REAL - I WANTED THOSE SHOES! But hey, then again, that's EXACTLY WHAT THE SHOE MAKER INTENDED laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is a GREAT example of a great AD smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 2 2012, 08:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2012, 08:12 PM) *
Guys....I felt in the exact same way... I WANTED IT TO BE REAL - I WANTED THOSE SHOES! But hey, then again, that's EXACTLY WHAT THE SHOE MAKER INTENDED laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is a GREAT example of a great AD smile.gif

You can still buy the shoes though !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 08:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 2 2012, 07:31 PM) *
You can still buy the shoes though !! smile.gif

I honestly don't like the design smile.gif But if they could've performed the trick, I would've closed my eyes OR ask them for a nicer model to fit my tastes biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Sep 2 2012, 09:00 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Sorry guys, this is not possible tongue.gif

Water has a surface tension of 72 dynes per cm at 25 celcius degrees. This is quite unnatural units, it converts to 0.072 Newtons per meter. So this means in order to break a surface film of water of 1 meter long you would need 0.072 Newtons of force. Say a human foot is about 25 centimeters long. Then you would need 0.018 Newtons of force to break a surface film of water of 25 centimeters. Now an average human weighs say anywhere between 60-80 kgs. Roughly our weight on Earth is 600 - 800 Newtons. Suppose you want to stand on water on two feet, then your weight will be divided in equal parts for both feet (of roughly 25 cms long) which is 300 - 400 Newtons. You see that 300-400 Newtons is so much larger than 0.018 Newtons, which was enough to break a surface film of water of 25 centimeters long... So yea , it is not quite possible tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Why did you have to ruin my dreams in such an irreparable way, Mert? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Sep 2 2012, 09:04 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2012, 08:03 PM) *

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Sorry tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 2 2012, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2012, 09:03 PM) *

Yeah, he's gotta seriously make up for it now by submitting some awesome guitar videos !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2012, 07:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 2 2012, 09:03 PM) *
Yeah, he's gotta seriously make up for it now by submitting some awesome guitar videos !! laugh.gif

Indeed he does! biggrin.gif Featuring bending and vibrato! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 3 2012, 07:12 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 3 2012, 08:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2012, 07:12 AM) *
Indeed he does! biggrin.gif Featuring bending and vibrato! wink.gif

Yes ! The 2 most annoying techniques that nobody wants to work on !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Sep 3 2012, 08:45 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 3 2012, 07:47 AM) *
Yes ! The 2 most annoying techniques that nobody wants to work on !! biggrin.gif

Ummmm I am at the moment stuck with some string skipping tongue.gif I am not able to skip that exercise biggrin.gif I learned another bar of it today tongue.gif with this tempo, I think I will start with bending and stuff maybe in ummmm 10 years..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 4 2012, 02:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2012, 08:42 AM) *

What do you think?

Cosmin

It looked so real! sad.gif Disappointed I was about to go to the ocean to try it out!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 01:53 PM
Instructor
I think that doing the skipping stone trick on the face of the sea or ocean is way more difficult than on a still water tongue.gif

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Sep 3 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Ummmm I am at the moment stuck with some string skipping tongue.gif I am not able to skip that exercise biggrin.gif I learned another bar of it today tongue.gif with this tempo, I think I will start with bending and stuff maybe in ummmm 10 years..

Alright! Let's see you win the heart of a girl with string skipping tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:56 PM