2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Your Favorite Films, 5 per person
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FilipofCroatia @ Jun 18 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Thats 7 Gabriel but as its your bday ill let you off!

laugh.gif laugh.gif I take Lord of the rings trilogy as one... biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 20 2009, 12:07 AM
GMC:er
This is hard, but from the top of my head:

Fight Club
Twelve Monkeys
Garden State
V for Vendetta
The Fountain

5 movies really really won't do. But yeah, this is decent, allthough I'd love to include Babel, The Jacket, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, American Beauty and lots of other movies.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 20 2009, 02:46 PM
Instructor
I think its very hard to pick 5 but I will try couple at least

1) Rounders
2) Good Will Haunting
3) Rocky IV
4) Old School
5) Pool hall Junkies (maybe)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 20 2009, 11:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 20 2009, 09:46 AM) *
2) Good Will Haunting

I think you mean Hunting...Haunting gives the movie a whole new story!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Kapto
Jun 21 2009, 10:07 AM
Lord Of The Rings ( the 3 is 1 story )
Bladerunner
Raiders of the Lost Ark (really shocked me when I was a kid)
Alien the 8th passenger
Gladiator

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 21 2009, 03:36 PM
Hard to do. But I am sure my top 5 would be found on the 2007 American Film Institute list of top 100 of all time.
Looking above, choices from that list have been:

Godfather (2)
Star Wars (13)
Space Odyssey: 2001 (15)
LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, THE (2001) (50)
Taxi Driver (52)
Deer Hunter (53)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (56)
A Clockwork Orange (70)
Shawshank Redemption (74)
Forest Gump (76)
Platoon (86)
Pulp Fiction (94)

I like all those, although a movie with a nihilistic theme such as Pulp Fiction disturbs me a bit, as I see society moving more in a nihilistic direction, and that trend, if it continues, may bode for a future that makes the 20th century look tame in comparison, with respect to horrors. The entertainment industry seems to me to be reinforcing that trend, and exacerbating it.

If I were to choose five, looking at the list, not being very sophisticated (so I won't pick Citizen Kane) my choices are:

Lawrence of Arabia (7)
The Wizard of Oz (10) ...my be prejudice here, being from Kansas. This movie actually was based on a book that was a metaphor for the political conflict at the time between farming interests and industrial/banking interests. That is why the bad witch's came from the West and East, the good witch was from the North, agricultural base.
The Maltese Falcon (31) ...hard to go wrong with the best novel by the man who invented the hard nosed detective genre, and the industry expert consensus best American actor of all time (Bogart).
Raiders of the Lost Ark (56)
Bringing Up Baby (88) ...my favorite all time comedy. Although Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant comes a close second.

I base this on how creative, the quality of the film when it first came out, in relation to it's time. Sure such films have been rehashed hundreds of times under different names. But there is something to appreciate in the creative original, that such later movies lack, even with all the slick computer graphics.

edit: removed last line where I directly knocked a specific movie. I will also mention that Bringing Up Baby is noteworthy for being the first time the word "Gay" was used in a movie to refer to homosexuals. Cary Grant ad libbed it. Most of the general public were unaware of what it meant.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 21 2009, 03:49 PM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 21 2009, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 19 2009, 04:07 PM) *
This is hard, but from the top of my head:

Fight Club
Twelve Monkeys
Garden State
V for Vendetta
The Fountain

5 movies really really won't do. But yeah, this is decent, allthough I'd love to include Babel, The Jacket, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, American Beauty and lots of other movies.

Always forget about The Jacket, Really great movie ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
FilipofCroatia
Jun 21 2009, 06:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice thesis Fkalich - interesting selection - i haven't seen several of the films you mentioned as your top 5 though smile.gif

Re: Computer Graphics in films. I have found, from my experience, that CGI (or whatever its called) movie making has tended to focus too much attention on making a film look pretty with little plot behind it...

Example: Some may disagree but i found the 'new' Star Wars a massive disappointment in comparison to the original trilogy.

It doesn't apply across the board - i think LOTR series are really good.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:34 AM