2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Whats Your Favourite Daw (the Big Names)., Cubase, Pro Tools, Sonar, Logic.
Gilmore
Dec 19 2008, 01:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I´m in the market of buying a recording software. I´m courious what is your favourite software you have used and what would you like to use in the future. I´ve mostly used Cubase SX3, and recently I installed and tried Cubase 4 both Studio and full version, I liked it alot, but it was pirated copy so it was not stable and not really usable, but I got to see plenty of great things in there. I´ve also tried Sonar 8 and just a glimse of Pro Tools 7.4.

I´m used to Cubase so Cubase 4 Studio is an attractive option, because it is so simple and easy to use and I´m used to it already. Everything almost explain itself, atleast it´s very easy to find your way in there, editing and programing drums is a breeze. Sonar 8, is alot harder and more complicated in my opinion, but I guess it´s alot better that Cubase in many ways, but I think it´s not for everyone. When I started out recording using Cubase SX3, I found my way around it very fast, but with Sonar 8 it´s not so easy. ohmy.gif I´m not sure about Pro Tools, but I´m very excited to buy Mbox 2 Pro with Pro Tools 8, but I´m afraid PT is like Sonar in some ways.

So I will either buy Cubase 4 Studio and use my POD X3 for interface, or I will go for Mbox and Pro Tools 8. The latter will cost more, but I think it will make more sence to go that way, because I record alot with my band, and we sometimes go in a studio to record drums, and then it´s great to be able to countinue working on it at home, because the studios mostly use PT.

By the way has anyone tried out the new Pro Tools 8?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 19 2008, 02:42 PM
Instructor
In my opinion there's nothing better than Cubase. The interface is neat and tidy and it can do whatever you want smile.gif
Sonar isnt too shabby either, it can do everything Cubase does, but i dont like the interface. I wouldnt say it's more complicated but the interface makes it harder to find the option your looking for.

But since your allready familiar with Cubase, then i would recommend to just go for the Cubase 4 studio smile.gif

I've got little to no experience with pro tools though, so cant comment on that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Dec 19 2008, 02:43 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 19 2008, 02:47 PM
EDIT: Image is too controversial for GMC.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Dec 21 2008, 11:50 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2008, 02:59 PM
GMC Founder
My vote goes for Cubase as well - I have recently bought CUbase 4 and it seems to have most things you can ask for. (except a decent built in vst reverb - but there are free ones available so it doesn't really matter).

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Dec 19 2008, 04:47 PM) *

huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 19 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm a Sonar fan.

I started with Pro Tracks Plus when I bought my GNX4.

That is essentially Sonar 2.

I've moved thru the ranks of Sonar as the years have went by...

My band uses Cubase so I have some experience there. It does all we need too it seems. I'm jsut more familiar with Sonar.

If I were starting over and not used to either one I'd probably go Cubase. Since it seems more pros use it.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 19 2008, 03:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sonar user here. I dig it and it does everything I need it to do.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 19 2008, 03:42 PM
Reaper or Mpowered Pro Tools

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor
You seemed to be answering your own question mate, M-Box & ProTools is what you need if you need to record with the band. Bare in mind that you will getting a PT LE which has smaller track count and no support for DSP cards. You can use RTAS plugs tho, and even VST using VST>RTAS converter.

Now, I use Nuendo, it's very similar to Cubase, and I think it is a great environment. I haven't used any other major DAWs so can't comment on their functionality, but Nuendo/Cubase are very easy to use and never had any problems. The recent version 4 is awesome, and drag&drop plugs feature in the mixer is IMO the one thing that is worth buying a new version, not to mention better engine, VST3 and other stuff.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Dec 19 2008, 04:42 PM
Cubase 4 Studio it is. smile.gif Mabye later next year I will go into that Mbox PT thing......doesn´t hurt to have both. I know about that track limit in Pro Tools LE, but i think 32 audio tracks is plenty for a rock n roll band, but I think PT 8 LE gives you 48 audio tracks.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 19 2008, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Dec 19 2008, 08:47 AM) *

So many lulz, such a little GIF.
My keyboard is covered in orange soda.

but it was worth it.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Dec 19 2008, 05:08 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 19 2008, 05:51 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Cubase without a doubt smile.gif

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 19 2008, 06:09 PM
I absolutely LOVE that gif for repreating threads hahahaha

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 19 2008, 06:31 PM
Instructor
I currently use Nuendo which has the same engine as Cubase. While it Berklee was using Digital performer and Pro tools.
It depends what type of computer you have but I am firm believer you can learn to work in any software after a little while.
I would recommend Nuendo right now as that is what I am using smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Dec 19 2008, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 19 2008, 06:31 PM) *
I currently use Nuendo which has the same engine as Cubase. While it Berklee was using Digital performer and Pro tools.
It depends what type of computer you have but I am firm believer you can learn to work in any software after a little while.
I would recommend Nuendo right now as that is what I am using smile.gif

That's true really, the best software is the one that works for you, as long as it covers your needs.

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Dec 19 2008, 07:35 PM
Singing Instructor
I can only work in Nuendo.smile.gifI can manage in Cubase because it is the same engine as Nuendo but,Nuendo has better interface IMO.
Pro Tools and Logic are amazing programs and lots of big names use them.But when you chouse between this big names,the only difference is what DAW makes the job easier to you.
That is why I think Nuendo is very easy to use,great midi control,amazing audio editing options..etc.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 19 2008, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Siggum @ Dec 19 2008, 06:32 PM) *
That's true really, the best software is the one that works for you, as long as it covers your needs.

Well put sir smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 20 2008, 08:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I use Cubase 3 and I'm thinking of buying the new 4 version!! smile.gif I'm really satisfied with it!!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Dec 20 2008, 10:21 PM
Instructor
sonar fan

+Quote Post
Patrik Jezierski
Dec 20 2008, 10:32 PM
i've worked with all those program and i have to say that my favorite is Logic. It's easy to use and much more greater features than the rest of the sequencers. But it's like Siggum said, the best sequenser is the one that satisfy your expectations and that works with your demands. The only downside on using Logic is that you have to own a Mac to be able to run it.

This post has been edited by Patrik Jezierski: Dec 20 2008, 10:36 PM

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Dec 20 2008, 10:35 PM
Instructor
definitely Samplitude smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:20 AM