The Black Keys, apparently I've been living under a rock
rokchik
Apr 27 2010, 06:14 PM
The Dark Canuck
Just found out about this great blues/rock duo and am loving their stuff. Not sure how I've missed these guys as their music has been in a lot of films I've seen over the last few years... School of Rock, Black Snake Moan, Zombieland, I Love You Man and many others. They're compared a lot to the White Stripes, which I can see being as they are both duos and have a huge blues influence, but I think they each have their own style and sound. Dan Auerbach has a great voice I think and is great on the the ole six string. I miss the low end... seeing as they have no bassist... but I think they pull it off wonderfully. Not sure if we've ever discussed them here on GMC but thought I'd share anyways. Hope you all enjoy smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 27 2010, 07:18 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I didn't know about them either even though I've watched some of those movies. They do sound good, old schood smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 27 2010, 07:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow never seen them before in my life .. they sound awsome ..

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 28 2010, 07:21 AM
GMC:er
This is a marveolous find!! Gotta dig in some stuff

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 28 2010, 02:25 PM
Instructor
very simple stuff and sounds kind of old, I guess that is intentional. They did a good job though!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 28 2010, 05:37 PM
The Dark Canuck
Glad you guys like them smile.gif I purchased their albums on iTunes yesterday and have been listening to them ever since. Really great stuff. Made the night at work more enjoyable too wink.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 29 2010, 05:19 PM
Learning Roadie
I love the Black Keys. You guys should do yourself a favor and get their entire catalog. If you want to get your feet wet, I suggest getting Rubber Factory. They're all good though. In a basic sense, their early stuff is very blues and simple, but they progressed into an almost blues driven hard rock sound, kind of zeppelin esque, toward their later releases, and recently have begun getting a little experimental. They had a great album called Attack & Release that sees them doing their signature sound but totally fleshed out with many other influences, the album has kind of a swamp rock feel to it. Good stuff. The latest they've done is a rap-rock album called Blakroc featuring many awesome rappers like RZA and Mos Def. If you're into that at all I suggest you pick it up as well.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 29 2010, 07:11 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 29 2010, 01:19 PM) *
I love the Black Keys. You guys should do yourself a favor and get their entire catalog. If you want to get your feet wet, I suggest getting Rubber Factory. They're all good though. In a basic sense, their early stuff is very blues and simple, but they progressed into an almost blues driven hard rock sound, kind of zeppelin esque, toward their later releases, and recently have begun getting a little experimental. They had a great album called Attack & Release that sees them doing their signature sound but totally fleshed out with many other influences, the album has kind of a swamp rock feel to it. Good stuff. The latest they've done is a rap-rock album called Blakroc featuring many awesome rappers like RZA and Mos Def. If you're into that at all I suggest you pick it up as well.

I bought the complete catalogue smile.gif Rubber Factory is my favourite so far, haven't listened to every album yet but getting there smile.gif Attack and Release is playing now and I'm really liking it. I can't believe I never found these guys earlier... but better late then never right smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
JVM
May 1 2010, 10:52 PM
Learning Roadie
They're definitely at the top of my list when I think of great bands of the last decade.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Mr T
Nov 11 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm going to see one of their shows tonight. Will be the third time for me and I can't wait, their shows are great cool.gif

As far as their albums go, "Rubber Factory" and "Attack and Release" are probably my favourites.

Anyone else catch them live?

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 15 2010, 10:41 PM
love the band

xD specially the vidio clip of Tighten Up

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 15 2010, 10:42 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 15 2010, 11:21 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Mr T @ Nov 11 2010, 08:07 AM) *
I'm going to see one of their shows tonight. Will be the third time for me and I can't wait, their shows are great cool.gif

As far as their albums go, "Rubber Factory" and "Attack and Release" are probably my favourites.

Anyone else catch them live?

How was the show??

I am a little jealous I must admit. I do hope to catch them live... someday.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mr T
Nov 16 2010, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Nov 15 2010, 11:21 PM) *
How was the show??

I am a little jealous I must admit. I do hope to catch them live... someday.... smile.gif

The show was very good. Dan and Patrick are all about playing the songs during their shows, so there is not much talking going on. They played alot of their older stuff and about 5 songs from the latest album. For those songs they have two more guys playing along.

If you get the chance, definitely go see them. cool.gif

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 17 2010, 12:35 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Mr T @ Nov 16 2010, 07:22 AM) *
The show was very good. Dan and Patrick are all about playing the songs during their shows, so there is not much talking going on. They played alot of their older stuff and about 5 songs from the latest album. For those songs they have two more guys playing along.

If you get the chance, definitely go see them. cool.gif

I heard they pretty much get down to business at their shows... which is fine by me smile.gif Sounds like it was a great time. I'm keeping an eye on concert listing to see when I get get to a show. No one comes to my small little neck of the woods so must travel to see concerts... work tends to get in the way, and cash LOL!!!

rok

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:10 PM