2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bending And Vibrato
Braer
May 10 2009, 09:25 PM
GMC:er
Hey! How should i pratice bend and vibrato? im on beginner level, and you all know how beginner bend and vibrato sounds like:P tips? will it take long practice?

Edit: Language/skennington

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: May 11 2009, 12:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
May 10 2009, 09:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Braer @ May 10 2009, 09:25 PM) *
Hey! How should i pratice bend and vibrato? im on beginner level, and you all know how beginner bend and vibrato sounds like:P tips? will it take long practice?

I cant tell you how to practice on it but it'll take a lot of practice till you get some "Muris vibratos".

But it's worth it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: May 11 2009, 12:47 AM

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 10 2009, 09:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Braer @ May 10 2009, 10:25 PM) *

It takes a life time biggrin.gif
when i have nothing to do (school) i do the wrist moves for vibrato
and play some blues

-Frederik

This post has been edited by skennington: May 11 2009, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
I've made a small response some time ago, it concerns bends and vibrato, so you can check it out mate:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=329234
hope it helps, cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 10 2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor
I always give a chart to my students to study the vibrato, the chart goes something like this:

Wide Narrow
slow slow
fast fast

So, that first part would be: you can play a wide vibrato that's slow or one that's fast, and the same with a narrow vibrato, slow or fast. That's the first step. The second step would be the transitions:

Wide @ Narrow

slow @ slow
slow @ fast
fast @ fast
fast @ slow

This second part is the vibrato that modulates from wide and slow to narrow and slow, or from wide and slow to narrow and fast, etc, etc, etc. Then you can change, starting of a Narrow vibrato and then moving to a wider vibrato.

Narrow @ wide

slow @ slow
slow @ fast
fast @ fast
fast @ slow

So that's the way I think it may help you organicing a little the study of this technique.

Then, for bendings it's just this way:

Example: play the fretted note on the seventh fret of the second string (F#) and then try to reach that same note from two frets behind. Repeat that same thing over the whole neck and different strings. Then you can practice bend half-steps, it's the same but instead of reaching the note from two frets behind you'll do it from one fret behind.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more doubts or if anything of this post wasn't clear enough.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 10 2009, 11:37 PM
QUOTE (Frederik @ May 10 2009, 10:44 PM) *
It takes a life time biggrin.gif
when i have nothing to do (school) i do the wrist moves for vibrato
and play some blues

-Frederik

Nahhhhh... Sit down with guitar when watching TV etc, train the wrist+finger strength, it'll come in some months, gradually.
To really get a wide metal vibrato, thogh, ala zsolt galambos, you're looking at a year of training I guess?

Make sure you train them strong both up and downward motion, aswell as with index alone, which is the hardest vibrato.

Good luck!!!

Edit: and a personal note, if I was every to 'start over' I would probably use 08 strings just to get badass vibrato earlier sooner.
10+ aren't cool if you sound like a noob smile.gif

This post has been edited by kjutte: May 10 2009, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
hansome21
May 11 2009, 03:12 AM
Don't think anyone said this yet, but vibrato and bends can sound extremely ugly if you don't get good at muting the strings above the one you are bending. It sounds difficult but it takes just a lil slow practice and it will make your bends sound soooo much better and very clean when you bend up and then back down.

Otherwise everytime you exit the bend your going to hear static and noise from the other strings as they regain tension.

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 11 2009, 06:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (hansome21 @ May 11 2009, 04:12 AM) *
Don't think anyone said this yet, but vibrato and bends can sound extremely ugly if you don't get good at muting the strings above the one you are bending. It sounds difficult but it takes just a lil slow practice and it will make your bends sound soooo much better and very clean when you bend up and then back down.

Otherwise everytime you exit the bend your going to hear static and noise from the other strings as they regain tension.

Mute the notes with ur left index finger(like an unfretted bar chord (look at the instructors)) or do palm muting if u are bending a note with ur index (pointer finger)

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Braer
May 11 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks all! really helped me out! but have you guys ever seen some people pick all strings, but just the one they bend ring out? what it it called? how do i do it?

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 11 2009, 01:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (hansome21 @ May 11 2009, 03:12 AM) *

Very very important point. You can do like Frederik suggests. Personally, I use my fretting hand thumb to mute lower strings and combination of left and right hand fingers to mute higher strings

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 11 2009, 01:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Braer @ May 11 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Thanks all! really helped me out! but have you guys ever seen some people pick all strings, but just the one they bend ring out? what it it called? how do i do it?

Its called raking, SRV does it a lot (he has uber muting skills). And again, mute all the other strings that the one that should ring out

This post has been edited by Frederik: May 11 2009, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 11 2009, 02:07 PM
QUOTE (Braer @ May 11 2009, 02:07 PM) *

It's just palm muting. It's a really cool technique to add power to the bend.

+Quote Post
Jose Lassaga
May 11 2009, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Learning a new technique takes a while. You should be patient.
Here some tips for you:

VIBRATO

-practice different vibrato´s speeds (slow, fast,sweet, heavy, etc.)
-pay attention to your favourites guitarist´s vibratos and try to play along.

BEND

-Sing the note and then try to bend the string until you reach the note you´re singing
-practice each type of bending ( half tone, full tone, 1 1/2 tone, prebend )

I hope my help was usefull smile.gif Good luck

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 11 2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frederik @ May 11 2009, 02:27 PM) *
Its called raking, SRV does it a lot (he has uber muting skills). And again, mute all the other strings that the one that should ring out

I believe it's raking, yeah.
And as for muting when doing bends,
I tend not to use my index finger for support when
doing bend with ring finger per example,
instead of that I lay it across as many strings as possible to do muting.
I never actually thought of that before but I realized
what I'm doing after watching some of my earlier videos,
it kind a came naturally to me.
Of course you don't have to apply same thing cause many don't
do it that way, just sharing my personal experience. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Oxac
May 11 2009, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 11 2009, 03:36 PM) *
I believe it's raking, yeah.
And as for muting when doing bends,
I tend not to use my index finger for support when
doing bend with ring finger per example,
instead of that I lay it across as many strings as possible to do muting.
I never actually thought of that before but I realized
what I'm doing after watching some of my earlier videos,
it kind a came naturally to me.
Of course you don't have to apply same thing cause many don't
do it that way, just sharing my personal experience. smile.gif

Perhaps you subconsciously stole it from Steve Vai? I know I did tongue.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 12 2009, 02:39 AM
Instructor
You can use bending and vibrato into any exercise, scale, mode, pentatonic scale or anything you are working on. Try to remember two very important things here :

1) When bending make sure your note is 100% in pitch with actual note you are bending into !
2) When doing vibrato make sure that its not too shaky as you still want to keep note recognizable and not make it like that string is out of tune or your guitar has intonation problems smile.gif

Hope that helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 12 2009, 05:11 PM
yes, helped. But how do i know how long i have to bend to get it right? I have been practicing neoclassical three-level-solo beginner, (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/neoclassical-3-levels-beginner/), but i never feel i do the bends right

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 12 2009, 05:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ May 12 2009, 06:11 PM) *
yes, helped. But how do i know how long i have to bend to get it right? I have been practicing neoclassical three-level-solo beginner, (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/neoclassical-3-levels-beginner/), but i never feel i do the bends right

It's bended long enough when you reach correct note.
Bend is not just bend, it's reaching the note,
you have to know how that note sounds like.
Per example, to train semi tone bend just play a note, listen to it
and then try to reach it by bending string one fret lower.
For whole tone bend play note and reach it by bending string 2 frets lower.
Each string AND spot on the neck demands different amount of power when doing bends
so you cannot just "remember with muscles" how much to bend,
you really need to LISTEN. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Gus
May 12 2009, 05:43 PM
I used to struggle a lot about bending (actually I still have problems, but it has evolved a lot so far)

Three things that made a huge difference:
- Using the thumb on the top of the neck, putting enough pressure so that the rest of your hand has something to move against.
- Using more than a finger to help the bending (easiest is for me is using index, middle and ring all together to bend the string)
- Muting the string above the bend ( for example, when bending 3th string upwards, index finger is on the 4th string, and I use the strength of middle and ring to bend the 3th string)

Hope this helps a little wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 12 2009, 05:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ May 12 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Well, it takes time to practice bending/vibrato and it is different from one person to another. Doing every fret on the fretboard with every finger is a good way to practice bends, and get a very natural feel. It depends on how much time you spend on this, but bending/vibrato is definitely one of those things that will require time to really make it natural. You can rehearse the bending/vibrato technique in one year to be perfect for example, and later on you just play, and it will refine itself, creating a smooth natural tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:45 PM