2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Marc_maiden's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 4 2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Marc!

This is place where I will give you assignments and upload videos. You will do the same starting tonight. Bookmark it, subscribe to it as it will be easier to follow when I post new things in!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 01:11 AM
Instructor
Lets get started Marc!

Since we talked tonight in chat, we mentioned it would be cool to start with some easier Jazz standard. We mentioned Blue Bossa and Green Dolphin street. Blue Bossa is far easier when it comes to harmony analysis so I would like to cover this piece with you first before we start doing more. I have given Paiva this as 1st assignment and you will have the same assignment! You are allowed to contact with Paiva and exchange ideas regarding this assignment but only as purpose to learn and improve not to cheat with answers! I will answer all your questions here so feel free to ask me anything Marc.

Here is your 1st assignment :

- Analyze Jazz standard Blue Bossa.
- I expect to see where change of key happens as well as II V I.
- If there are cadences in specific sections, please indicate them (like turnarounds or modal cadence).
- Once you are done with this, we will proceed to 2nd assignment which will be improvising approaches available over this same tune.
- You can submit this via text but I would like you to do this in guitar pro and write all the notes using notes section!

Time limit for your 1st assignment is week from today (12th of September)!

Here is Kenny Durham's lead sheet version. Don't worry about the intro, focus only from A section to the end!
G7+ means G7 with sharp 5 (#5) or G7#5 or G7b13. Don't worry too much about tensions I want you to analyze things based on 4 note chords (here you will learn a lot about 4 note chord structure!).

Extra assignment :

- Write out root inversion voicings for each chord in the piece!

Let me know if you need any help Marc !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 12:18 PM
Instructor
Marc, if you have any questions feel free to ask them man. Post something you have so far and we can work from there. Also check Paiva's MTP thread to see how he is dealing with this assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 10 2009, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Marc, when can I expect your notes on Blue Bossa?
Let me know if you need any help with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 12 2009, 04:38 PM
GMC:er
sorry pedja! i was out of town half the week, thought id be back sooner than i was, dont worry, it will be done today like you asked! working on it as we speak!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 12 2009, 06:50 PM
ok Pedja here we go...

I wrote all the key changes and stuff like that right above where it happens

if i am missing something let me know!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bluebossamaiden.gp5 ( 5.12K ) Number of downloads: 103

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 13 2009, 08:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 12 2009, 07:50 PM) *
ok Pedja here we go...

I wrote all the key changes and stuff like that right above where it happens

if i am missing something let me know!

Marc I checked it all out. After Ebminor7 you have Ab7 not A7. This is why you said no key center smile.gif There is actually new key center and modulation occurs there. Also, where does Dmin7b5 G7 come from? From which C minor scale? How do we call that particular chord progression ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 17 2009, 12:10 PM
Instructor
Marc,

I hope you are doing good with Blue Bossa. Your analysis was good although there were some things I corrected (see post above). I would like you to start working on soloing approaches over this tune. Anything that you think is worth mentioning, please mention it. Pentatonics, Arpeggios, Scales/Modes etc.
In the meanwhile you can visit my Theory and Harmony board and read all my posts there.

I will be out of my town today, back tomorrow so I will respond to all your questions then.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 20 2009, 08:10 PM
yes pedja! ive been so busy, ill make those corrections and post it back here tonight!

as for soloing approaches .... what do you mean? things I'd like to work on?

well i would love to work on arpeggios for more complex chords (like dim, 7ths, 9ths)

and also working on modal soloing with static key changes (or soloing over chords that do not have a key)

you know, standard jazz stuff!

thanks pedja!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 20 2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 20 2009, 09:10 PM) *
yes pedja! ive been so busy, ill make those corrections and post it back here tonight!

as for soloing approaches .... what do you mean? things I'd like to work on?

well i would love to work on arpeggios for more complex chords (like dim, 7ths, 9ths)

and also working on modal soloing with static key changes (or soloing over chords that do not have a key)

you know, standard jazz stuff!

thanks pedja!

Great to hear that Marc. Regarding soloing approaches I was thinking of possibilities you can use to solo over this whole tune. Check out what Paiva (Tiago) wrote in today, it will give you good reference point. I would like Scale/Mode, Pentatonic and Arpeggio you can use.

We will work on arpeggios and modal soloing - no problem. Lets finish this one up first wink.gif

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 28 2009, 05:51 PM
Instructor
Marc buddy how are you doing with everything? Need any help?

Lets finish this one up and move onto new topics !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 29 2009, 09:16 PM
oh wow pedja im so sorry! i thought i had already uploaded the correct GP file i was wondering why i hadnt heard from you hahah

as for the D and G7, you can play the harmonic C# minor there

as for scales, id use the C # minor 7 arppegios, i usually stay away from pantetonic stuff, but you could use the minor pantetonic on most the C # minor parts, but id would start from the aeolian scale and work around the fretboard around the II V I areas.

when the key changes, id stay in the C# major comfort zone, but maybe play some chord tones with the Ab7 chord.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bluebossamaiden.gp5 ( 5.1K ) Number of downloads: 102

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 30 2009, 05:25 PM
sorry i meant C minor, not C# minor

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 30 2009, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Ok Marc, I checked out your guitar pro work. I have 2 things to add from there. Abmajor7th chord actually belongs to key of C minor, it is bVI scale degree. If C minor is related to Eb major and Eb major has major 7th chords on scale degrees I and IV (Eb and Ab) then we are in the same key there.
Regarding C#, it is actually Db because Eb is II Ab is V and Db is some sort of I. Hope that makes sense.

Lets now get 2 choruses of you soloing over whole tune (without intro!). I want you to use soloing approaches you think are appropriate over those chords. Arpeggios, Chord tones, tensions, modes, pentatonic scales... I am looking forward to see what you can do with this one!
Also, I want you to create a backing track over which you will do all the soloing. Remember, 2 choruses of improvising. I don't want composed solos yet!

Thanks Marc smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 30 2009, 11:35 PM
you got it pedja..does this need to be a video or just recording?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2009, 08:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Oct 1 2009, 12:35 AM) *
you got it pedja..does this need to be a video or just recording?

Great Marc!
I would prefer video but if you can't do it, audio will be fine as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Oct 5 2009, 02:07 AM
hey pedja! i made the backing (with out guitars) i will record the take with the guitar chords and improvisation tomorrow

but if any of your students are having trouble making a full backing, they can use mine (if you will allow it)

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BlueBossaBackingMaiden.mp3 ( 847.85K ) Number of downloads: 138

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 5 2009, 06:23 AM
Instructor
Nice backing Marc, looking forward to the soloing part!
I will allow students to use your backing but ideally I would want everybody to try their best and make their own smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Oct 8 2009, 01:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNZVRdLvXY

here you go pedja, i didnt get a chance to try too many takes, i am interviewing for a new job and its been long days!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 9 2009, 06:06 PM
Instructor
Nice take Marc smile.gif
I think phrasing was the main area that needs improvement. Your note choice was good and technical execution was there no doubt. I don't mind your style of soloing at all, I just want to hear 8th notes being there on click not up and down if you get my idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:01 AM