2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Line 6 Ux1
liveOASISforever
Apr 12 2013, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
Hi

A few months ago I bought a Line 6 UX1 and have barely used it. I know there is a lot to learn on how to use Pod Farm but I just did not enjoy using it. Mainly because I could not get a good tone and I find it pretty complicated. So my questions are the following.

1. Should I take the time and learn how to use it and watch YT tutorials.

2.Is it worth buying more amp modelling add ons.

3. If yes to the above should I get some basic studio speakers.

Cheers Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 12 2013, 07:50 PM
When you say you didn't enjoy using it, did you mean you don't enjoy tweaking in general?

Cause something like EZMix 2 might be more appealing to you. But I definitely think you should try and put more time into learning it since you have it anyway laugh.gif

Never actually used Pod Farm, but you can PM TheFireball100/Brandon about the add-ons if he doesn't stumble into this thread. Pretty sure he uses it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Apr 12 2013, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
1. Yes
2.Yes, sort of.
3.No

You can also use Amplitube or Guitar Rig or TH2 Overloud..insert(favorite modelling software) with the UX1.

Ask Todd Simpson about how to tweak modelling patches..he's a master of tweaking patches. Or check out this forum posts as he describes evrything you ever wanted to know about modelling software.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 12 2013, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 12 2013, 07:50 PM) *
When you say you didn't enjoy using it, did you mean you don't enjoy tweaking in general?

Cause something like EZMix 2 might be more appealing to you. But I definitely think you should try and put more time into learning it since you have it anyway laugh.gif

Never actually used Pod Farm, but you can PM TheFireball100/Brandon about the add-ons if he doesn't stumble into this thread. Pretty sure he uses it.

Yeah mate tweaking in general.

I will PM TheFireBall100.

Cheers Sean

QUOTE (korblitz @ Apr 12 2013, 07:56 PM) *
1. Yes
2.Yes, sort of.
3.No

You can also use Amplitube or Guitar Rig or TH2 Overloud..insert(favorite modelling software) with the UX1.

Ask Todd Simpson about how to tweak modelling patches..he's a master of tweaking patches. Or check out this forum posts as he describes evrything you ever wanted to know about modelling software.

Thanks mate I will check Todd's forum posts

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2013, 08:28 PM
In short...

1.)Yes I'd say it's worth learning. Knowing how to use Software Modeling is just another tool in your toolbox in your search for tone smile.gif

2.)I"d say it's worth downloading some demos at least. I'd say

*OVERLOUD TH2
*GUITAR RIG 5
*AMPLITUDE FREE

See which ones you like and gravitate towards.

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 12 2013, 02:35 PM) *
Hi

A few months ago I bought a Line 6 UX1 and have barely used it. I know there is a lot to learn on how to use Pod Farm but I just did not enjoy using it. Mainly because I could not get a good tone and I find it pretty complicated. So my questions are the following.

1. Should I take the time and learn how to use it and watch YT tutorials.

2.Is it worth buying more amp modelling add ons.

3. If yes to the above should I get some basic studio speakers.

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
kklee100
Apr 13 2013, 03:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
I am using Line 6 UX1 and pod farm 2.

You can download some tones from CUSTOMTONE in Line6.com.

And I usually use two tones: lead and rhythm tones.
If you want the file, I can send them to you.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 13 2013, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 12 2013, 08:28 PM) *
In short...

1.)Yes I'd say it's worth learning. Knowing how to use Software Modeling is just another tool in your toolbox in your search for tone smile.gif

2.)I"d say it's worth downloading some demos at least. I'd say

*OVERLOUD TH2
*GUITAR RIG 5
*AMPLITUDE FREE

See which ones you like and gravitate towards.

Todd

Thanks Todd I will check them out smile.gif

QUOTE (kklee100 @ Apr 13 2013, 03:04 PM) *
I am using Line 6 UX1 and pod farm 2.

You can download some tones from CUSTOMTONE in Line6.com.

And I usually use two tones: lead and rhythm tones.
If you want the file, I can send them to you.

That would be great if you could do that

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 16 2013, 08:58 AM
I have a UX-1 as well and love PodFarm. I did purchase the PodFarm upgrade, but then later got the Line6 HD500 so now use that.

I found my basic tones by searching here http://line6.com/customtone/browse/podfarm/

I think it's great for recording. You can purchase the foot controller and change your set tones on the fly. Once you find and/or create the tones you are looking for, you'll love it.

My basic tone consists of a Marshall JCM800 for the highs and a Mesa-Boogie Rectifier for the lows. The lead tone is a JCM800 with a tube screamer, chorus, digital delay and graphic EQ. Both tones utilize a noise gate in the front. Then I have some real stomp boxes I go through before the effects, with the exception of my Flanger which is inside PodFarm as well.

I say all that to say, PodFarm put's thousands of dollars worth of equipment in reach! Just remember, slight adjustments should be made to get any of the presets, or someone else's built tone exactly the way you want it.

Go to You-Tube and do a search for PodFarm Real Amp Comparison and check it out.

Good luck with it!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 16 2013, 09:03 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I use UX2 interface and I love it! smile.gif

If you do not like the built in modeling software and how it sounds, you can always use it as external sound card to get your dry guitar signal into your computer. Then you can process it with some external VSTs like Amplitube and Guitar Rig for more tones variety. From these 3rd party ones I really liked Amplitube the best.

One thing with all these is that they require a lot of experimentation. Usually less is more so you want to kill all the unnecessary effects that might be turned on and start building a patch/tone from scratch. Start with just amp and cab and see what you can get. Usually, there is 1 clean and 1 distorted tone that sounds awesome (this is very individual so you need to find it).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 16 2013, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 16 2013, 08:58 AM) *
I have a UX-1 as well and love PodFarm. I did purchase the PodFarm upgrade, but then later got the Line6 HD500 so now use that.

I found my basic tones by searching here http://line6.com/customtone/browse/podfarm/

I think it's great for recording. You can purchase the foot controller and change your set tones on the fly. Once you find and/or create the tones you are looking for, you'll love it.

My basic tone consists of a Marshall JCM800 for the highs and a Mesa-Boogie Rectifier for the lows. The lead tone is a JCM800 with a tube screamer, chorus, digital delay and graphic EQ. Both tones utilize a noise gate in the front. Then I have some real stomp boxes I go through before the effects, with the exception of my Flanger which is inside PodFarm as well.

I say all that to say, PodFarm put's thousands of dollars worth of equipment in reach! Just remember, slight adjustments should be made to get any of the presets, or someone else's built tone exactly the way you want it.

Go to You-Tube and do a search for PodFarm Real Amp Comparison and check it out.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice mate.I downloaded reaper and have being recording small pieces and playing about with that and Pod Farm and started to enjoy using it.

A will check out that YouTube video smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2013, 05:30 PM
Instructor
I have never used this one but I used amp modellers for many years and I think that they are good for practising, recording demos and even guitar lessons. As Todd said, there are many options and you should try everything until you find the one that fits your needs. I also agree with everybody here about experimenting a bit more and learning from youtube tutorials. If you don't have good speakers, you should at least have good headphones to design your tone.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 16 2013, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 16 2013, 09:03 AM) *
I use UX2 interface and I love it! smile.gif

If you do not like the built in modeling software and how it sounds, you can always use it as external sound card to get your dry guitar signal into your computer. Then you can process it with some external VSTs like Amplitube and Guitar Rig for more tones variety. From these 3rd party ones I really liked Amplitube the best.

One thing with all these is that they require a lot of experimentation. Usually less is more so you want to kill all the unnecessary effects that might be turned on and start building a patch/tone from scratch. Start with just amp and cab and see what you can get. Usually, there is 1 clean and 1 distorted tone that sounds awesome (this is very individual so you need to find it).

Hi Bogdan

I think thats what put me off the need for a lot of experimentation. There is so much to choose from.

I will download Amplitube and see what i think.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 16 2013, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 16 2013, 06:31 PM) *
Hi Bogdan

I think thats what put me off the need for a lot of experimentation. There is so much to choose from.

I will download Amplitube and see what i think.

Yeah, unfortunately all these modeling/emulation software need more or less experimentation and patches usually sound bad. Also due to the overall "quality" of the technology, you do need to work a lot on the tone in order to get the "best possible one" on your setup.

You should also check Ez Mix 2 (also Guitar Gods expansion) VST. Its supposed to be very simple to use (two knobs) and pack some great sounds.

Regarding monitor speakers, I think you should get them anyway. They will be so much useful for playing music on the computer, recording and listening to music, not to mention mixing etc...

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 16 2013, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 16 2013, 06:33 PM) *
Yeah, unfortunately all these modeling/emulation software need more or less experimentation and patches usually sound bad. Also due to the overall "quality" of the technology, you do need to work a lot on the tone in order to get the "best possible one" on your setup.

You should also check Ez Mix 2 (also Guitar Gods expansion) VST. Its supposed to be very simple to use (two knobs) and pack some great sounds.

Regarding monitor speakers, I think you should get them anyway. They will be so much useful for playing music on the computer, recording and listening to music, not to mention mixing etc...

A really want to get monitor speakers and have being looking at them recently. I find that you get mixed reviews on a lot of them. The range in price between different speakers is incredible. How much do you think I should spend to get a decent set of speakers for starting out.

Thanks Sean

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2013, 08:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 16 2013, 02:33 PM) *

yes, I started a thread about these ones some time ago and everybody that tried it said what Bogdan is saying here, it was its pro and its cons at the same time, depending on the user.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 17 2013, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 16 2013, 08:10 PM) *
A really want to get monitor speakers and have being looking at them recently. I find that you get mixed reviews on a lot of them. The range in price between different speakers is incredible. How much do you think I should spend to get a decent set of speakers for starting out.

Thanks Sean

I would recommend a decent set for home use like KRK Rokit 5 or M-Audio BX5 D2. There are few more popular brands in this price range. I personally use KRK Rokit 5s and I'm very satisfied with them.

The truth is that depending on the room and what you plan to do with them, you won't need a bigger (and more precise) setup , like ones that include subwoofer for really low frequencies or monitors with larger speakers or more power. If your room is not that big and you plan on working on home mixing/recording on them, mentioned sets above should work well.

They are around 250-300 euro I think for the set.

What they allow you to do is get a much clearer picture of what you are doing. Whether you are mixing or just playing a guitar, you will get to hear a much more "realistic" sound to what it really is. Listening to music from other artists on them will help you learn the "character" of the monitors and you will start to know how they react to different sounds and what classifies as "good sound" on them. What is good about using monitors in home studio is that when you do recording/mixing on them and it sounds good to you on those speakers, there is a good chance it will sound good on other regular speakers/headphones etc....Which is not the case when you mix on hi-fi gear.

I wouldn't try to do mastering in home studio conditions though (for any serious project) - you can get that kind of service from local and online studios for a reasonable price and it will make your music play as best as it can on all audio systems (and make it loud for you smile.gif ).

But, of course playing with audio production and doing some home mastering is a lot of fun and can make your recordings sound really cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 17 2013, 01:33 AM
Learning Roadie
I should have clicked here earlier - yeah it takes some getting used to. Now I'm one with the program. Never did get that PM btw wink.gif

Ever since I won the GX with POD Farm here on GMC (in a contest) I have used it so much for everything! I have the Metal Shop, Power Pack, and FX Junkie. Those expansion packs are awesome, though I use mainly things from the Metal Shop, I believe. I find POD Farm to work well with my slow laptop. I have tried other products, and I can't seem to get the same near zero latency that I get with POD Farm. So... Line 6 for life I guess. haha Or at least until Axe Fx is an option.

I can share some tones if you want, but many of mine require the metal shop expansion. But anyway, no matter what, they are going to sound different with another guitar and player. I tweak my tones all inside POD Farm, and then butter them up with final EQs in my DAW.

This tone should be fine without needing expansion packs. You will find you get better at getting good tones as you do it more often.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Apr 17 2013, 01:34 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cool_guitar_solo.l6t ( 2.2K ) Number of downloads: 100

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2013, 01:37 AM
Bogdan nailed it on the speakers IMHO smile.gif I have a pair of ROKIT 6's (KRK) and I love em. For a small room, home studio setup, the KRK stuff is a great mix of budget/performance. (they are the ones with yellow cones, here is a pic)
Attached Image

You can add a matched KRK sub later on if you like or need to. Until you get some decent speakers, invest in a decent pair of headphones which usually means paying around 100 Euro or so. Sky is the limit, but thats a rough start on price for good cans.

I use the AKG K240 which are a great set of heaphones IMHO, and can be found for around $100 euro. KRK also makes headphones now, as does Shure. AKG has been making studio grade headphones forever and have a long history of quality and predictable performance so a pro set is a good option. The cheaper cans are so bass heavy (not designed to mix on) that it's hard to get a good mix. Ear buds are only for testing a mix, not creating it. Remember that smile.gif

Attached Image
Ive also got a cheap pair of AKG cans, called the K44 and honestly, they are a bit crap. Ok for checking how a mix will sound on cheap cans, but thats about it.

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 16 2013, 01:10 PM) *

Thanks Sean

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 17 2013, 07:22 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 17 2013, 12:02 AM) *
I would recommend a decent set for home use like KRK Rokit 5 or M-Audio BX5 D2. There are few more popular brands in this price range. I personally use KRK Rokit 5s and I'm very satisfied with them.

The truth is that depending on the room and what you plan to do with them, you won't need a bigger (and more precise) setup , like ones that include subwoofer for really low frequencies or monitors with larger speakers or more power. If your room is not that big and you plan on working on home mixing/recording on them, mentioned sets above should work well.

They are around 250-300 euro I think for the set.

What they allow you to do is get a much clearer picture of what you are doing. Whether you are mixing or just playing a guitar, you will get to hear a much more "realistic" sound to what it really is. Listening to music from other artists on them will help you learn the "character" of the monitors and you will start to know how they react to different sounds and what classifies as "good sound" on them. What is good about using monitors in home studio is that when you do recording/mixing on them and it sounds good to you on those speakers, there is a good chance it will sound good on other regular speakers/headphones etc....Which is not the case when you mix on hi-fi gear.

I wouldn't try to do mastering in home studio conditions though (for any serious project) - you can get that kind of service from local and online studios for a reasonable price and it will make your music play as best as it can on all audio systems (and make it loud for you smile.gif ).

But, of course playing with audio production and doing some home mastering is a lot of fun and can make your recordings sound really cool.

Thanks Bogdan for youre very detailed explanations. I will check out those speakers smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 17 2013, 01:33 AM) *
I should have clicked here earlier - yeah it takes some getting used to. Now I'm one with the program. Never did get that PM btw wink.gif

Ever since I won the GX with POD Farm here on GMC (in a contest) I have used it so much for everything! I have the Metal Shop, Power Pack, and FX Junkie. Those expansion packs are awesome, though I use mainly things from the Metal Shop, I believe. I find POD Farm to work well with my slow laptop. I have tried other products, and I can't seem to get the same near zero latency that I get with POD Farm. So... Line 6 for life I guess. haha Or at least until Axe Fx is an option.

I can share some tones if you want, but many of mine require the metal shop expansion. But anyway, no matter what, they are going to sound different with another guitar and player. I tweak my tones all inside POD Farm, and then butter them up with final EQs in my DAW.

This tone should be fine without needing expansion packs. You will find you get better at getting good tones as you do it more often.

Thanks mate

I got sent some tones and was having a lot of fun with them.I tried downloading some tones online and could not use them because I did not have the any expansions.

I will check out the tone after work smile.gif

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 17 2013, 09:08 AM
Exactly on the monitors. I have RockIT 5s and couldn't be happier! Well, I take that back, I'd be happier with RockIt 6s.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:03 PM