Digitech Whammy Pedal, what r these?
slash85
Jan 5 2008, 11:34 AM
GMC:er
gday mates,

i was at this gig on new years eve and this bloke played the audioslave song and played the morello solo in it....i dunno what the songs is but i asked him how he produced the sound and he reckons you use the whammy pedal which can raise and lower octaves and such is this true is this what morelo uses and it as that typical morello type effect that u can hear on nearly all of his songs and u can hear it in guitar hero three.........now he also said somethin about havin both bridge and neck pickups selected but havin one turned right up and the other right down and apparently this does somethin too?.....does anyone know what im on about and can anyone tell about anything ive mentioed above blink.gif

cheers mates

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2008, 12:00 PM
Instructor
Whammy pedal is basically a pitch shifter processor with the expression pedal mounted. You can actually change the pitch of the notes you play by pressing the expression pedal. There are a lot of options on the processor, for example to pitch-shift in octaves, thirds, fifths etc...so if you move one increment of the expression up it will pitch-shift an interval up, or if you press it down *with your heal) the sound will go down. Interesting, and requires a lot of practice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
slash85
Jan 5 2008, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 5 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Whammy pedal is basically a pitch shifter processor with the expression pedal mounted. You can actually change the pitch of the notes you play by pressing the expression pedal. There are a lot of options on the processor, for example to pitch-shift in octaves, thirds, fifths etc...so if you move one increment of the expression up it will pitch-shift an interval up, or if you press it down *with your heal) the sound will go down. Interesting, and requires a lot of practice.

so by shifting up and down octaves and pitches is it a bit like doin pinch harmonics and stuff....coz thats pretty much what the harmonics are too arent they?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 5 2008, 02:30 PM
Instructor
hehe, I have a whammy pedal !!! yeah, it's really amazing, I want to share with you a small fragment of my song "coctel de frutas" (Fruity cocktail) from my 1st CD (2005).

Let's go !!!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  5_COCTEL_DE_FRUTAS___fragmento.mp3 ( 1.99MB ) Number of downloads: 175

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 5 2008, 02:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
the other trick with both pickups is a way of getting a killswitch sound without having a killswitch. Tom Morello has one pickup turned up and the other one turned down, then he uses his whammy and quickly switches between the pickups to achieve the sound. Like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFUva7Xe94

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 5 2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor
I hope you can imagine how I love this pedal biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2008, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Well, not quite... you see, a pinched harmonic is a note (for example) one or two octaves higher than the original note on that fret.

With the Whammy pedal, you can pitch the notes in any interval you want. So for example if you put it on thirds and hold an expression pedal on the middle (idle) position it will play whatever you play - but if you move the pedal up it will pitch-shift your sound to a third interval of your original note and play that, and so on and so on....until it reaches some high note relative to what you played but increased by a number of thirds. Same for every other interval, you can set it to play octave, low, or even octave high, and play something and it will process your notes on any given interval. AND you have an expression pedal to control the number of intervals you are going up or down.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 5 2008, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Haven't heard of that pickup trick but I have Whammy too and I love it. smile.gif
Don't use it that much as pitch shifter(regular one/intervals)
but mostly for Whammy effects,octave up and octave down.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
slash85
Jan 6 2008, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Jan 5 2008, 11:30 PM) *
hehe, I have a whammy pedal !!! yeah, it's really amazing, I want to share with you a small fragment of my song "coctel de frutas" (Fruity cocktail) from my 1st CD (2005).

Let's go !!!

yeah mate that was pretty awesome!!!!! inspires me enough to actually get one!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 5 2008, 11:34 PM) *
the other trick with both pickups is a way of getting a killswitch sound without having a killswitch. Tom Morello has one pickup turned up and the other one turned down, then he uses his whammy and quickly switches between the pickups to achieve the sound. Like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFUva7Xe94

yeah thats a good link its very helpful but what does he use to add the "white noise" he is talking about.....and can u still make them noises without adding the so called "white noise"???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 6 2008, 12:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (slash85 @ Jan 6 2008, 11:30 AM) *
yeah mate that was pretty awesome!!!!! inspires me enough to actually get one!!! biggrin.gif

hehehe, I'm happy you like it !!! but think that some multiefects pedal has de "whammy" option (like POD XT live and some from Digitech), so if you had one of thesse pedals you maybe don't need to buy the original whammy.

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 6 2008, 12:37 PM
QUOTE (slash85 @ Jan 6 2008, 06:30 AM) *
what does he use to add the "white noise" he is talking about.....and can u still make them noises without adding the so called "white noise"???

He uses the high end from a wah wah pedal. Google Tom Morello PT 2, listen to what he says in the beginning.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
slash85
Jan 8 2008, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 6 2008, 09:37 PM) *
He uses the high end from a wah wah pedal. Google Tom Morello PT 2, listen to what he says in the beginning.

mate that video is awesome he show ya everything aye cheers for that it will come in handy wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:46 PM